ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 engine

FOR SALE!!!
what do you guys think the max power you could get out of the 1.6 clio/meggy engine? possibly running a mini supercharger as my mate have there own mini comnapy so parts to do with the charger would be easy thanks guys

clio 172
surley it could be any thing if you have the money to do the stuff to it but it would cost so much most peopple would get a new car

FOR SALE!!!
yes cost is the probelm but im willing to over look that and dont wanna go down the 172 engine etc does any body no a good place to get the 1.6 lump etc all from and were would be a good place to get the hole engine rebuit? also what companyes can offer 4-2-1 cams etc

Mazda MX5 1.8
all depends on how much you wanna spend......

there is a impul (iirc) supercharger made for the nissan 1.5 (HR15DE) engine which looks very much as if it would fit..... but you still have the problems of making it work once its fitted..... which i havent got a clue about how to do it. we arent talking big power tho (they recon 35bhp on the 1.5 engine)
also space may be an issue as well

other than that there was a new intake in development (at angelworks) but dont know how far along they've got with it

the super1600 rally engines are based on the 1.6 16v engines that come in the Clio and Megane so the engine is a good starting point for this kind of project. Problem with them is though that they take a LOT of maintenance and so not only is converting it to a 230bhp NA engine expensive, but keeping it on the road afterwards is.

Best route for highpower from the 1.6 lump would probably be strengthened internals and forced induction - either super or turbo charger.

As for amount of power I would guess that 200bhp through forced induction would be safest middle ground of reliability/power.

None
200bhp on a 1.6 16v is about as reliable as having a midget trying to paint ceilings without a ladder. Must reliable bhp you can get is about 150bhp but it still takes alot of work to achieve it

FOR SALE!!!
all depends on how much you wanna spend......

there is a impul (iirc) supercharger made for the nissan 1.5 (HR15DE) engine which looks very much as if it would fit..... but you still have the problems of making it work once its fitted..... which i havent got a clue about how to do it. we arent talking big power tho (they recon 35bhp on the 1.5 engine)
also space may be an issue as well

other than that there was a new intake in development (at angelworks) but dont know how far along they've got with it

the super1600 rally engines are based on the 1.6 16v engines that come in the Clio and Megane so the engine is a good starting point for this kind of project. Problem with them is though that they take a LOT of maintenance and so not only is converting it to a 230bhp NA engine expensive, but keeping it on the road afterwards is.

Best route for highpower from the 1.6 lump would probably be strengthened internals and forced induction - either super or turbo charger.

As for amount of power I would guess that 200bhp through forced induction would be safest middle ground of reliability/power.

what do you to think would need upgrading to get bout 180-200 bhp mark on the 1.6 engine also do you no what car has the supercharger you were on bout mate? cheers guys hopefully this will be a good project over the next year starting to save now to get the engine sorted then wanna strip it down and rebuild it with all new parts

172 cup'd extreme
The compression ratio is too high stock for a supercharger really, You would need to source some low comp pistons for it first before starting on other stuff.

Most commonly recommended supercharger is the one off the mini cooper-s as its available cheaply. As for more info than I have already given I cant really help. If you are serious about it then contact one of the tuning companies that do turbo kits for the 172/182

FOR SALE!!!
does anybody no were i mite be able to price up some forgpistons and conrods etc what are the best cams to run and which would be best 4-2-1 and decat want to make a list of parts im going to need were would i need to mounth the supercharger could i run it of the alternater?

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Getting a mounting bracket made up easy for you? Know anyone with an engineering business. That comes in handy.

Could you run the charger off the aux belt?

FOR SALE!!!
well my mates brother has good contacts and the place were he use work does the lemon so they got a lot of milling tools etc there and he is going to uni to get a engineering degree in motorsport

and yes would it run of the aux belt our which belt would it need to be joined to

Charger can be run off the aux belt. If you are serious about this speak to either K-tec racing or BenR on here

M

mini-valver

You wont go above 150bhp on stock internals N/A, to run higher power you need more RPM. I've looked into this alot and without spending a lot more money than I already have it's not worth it. You're loong at 3k for the bottom end work....

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i looked into it when i blew up my 1.2 lump, as far as i know the stock intake is the weak point, so for higher rpm and much more power you need to replace that so your looking at using ITB's or be oldskool and save money and use motorbike carbs!! (my mate has a 1600gte nova lump running them and the noise is mental!

SuperSprint make a performance tubular manifold (not sure if its a 4-2-1 or a 4-1 tho! cant remember off the top of my head) K-Tec also make a tubular manifold for it.

Supersprint make a decat for them as well as a centre section and back box.

cams are availible from various companys.

personally if i was going to do it id start with getting a 1600 16v conversion kit from matt black £900 odd + VAT from what i remember, have it fully rebuilt, and the bottom end lightned and ballanced to help it rev have eather the standard cams reprofiled or go for some aftermarket ones, tubular manifold, stainless exhaust and decat as well as running standalone management so in future if you wanted you could go the ITB route.

at the end of the day i was ready to go ahead with it then test drove a 172 and thought f**k it, put another 1200 engine in my dynamique and bought a 172!!

ph1 172
your going to all the trouble of changing the engine so why not just put a 172 lump in. if you looking to spend all this money, why not spend it on an engine that can reliably put out lots of power and wont cost as much to get the power out of it.

i dont see why have you written off the 172 engine idea anyway

I know i have given you loads of advice about the 1.6 but Tim is right. Dont bother. I would even go one step further than the 172 engine and say put the VAG 1.8 20vT engine! Exceptionally tunebale engine. Stock form about 200-250bhp depending on exact spec of the engine you pick up, mapable for more power and further tuning can see in excess of 450bhp!

ph1 172
very true, engine conversions are pointless, if youre going to do it, do it properly. Either buy a 1.6 or a 172 or put some crazy engine in it.

A 1.2 with tuned 1.6 in it will have no resale value either

engine conversion topics always come up and its never worth it unless you get all the bits free and you do it all yourself

FOR SALE!!!
leighk18 - buy my mk2 Rsi 1.6 16v :)
how much you after for it mate? if i could shift myn on i would do this as its on finace id need rasie the money depnds how much you after have you still got the rs seats in it etc drop us a pm with the details yor only from chesire and im from staffordshire could be a deal mate if can sort stuff out

FOR SALE!!!
i have just looked in forsale section and there is the volo lump going 1.7 turbo could be intresting?

Havent seen a mk2 with that lump put in it! Its an old engine now though. iirc Puts out about 120bhp in standard trim but there isnt much that can be done to them.

FOR SALE!!!
Havent seen a mk2 with that lump put in it! Its an old engine now though. iirc Puts out about 120bhp in standard trim but there isnt much that can be done to them.

last i heard they can be remaped to run 170 bhp and i not seen one in a mk2 either so would be sumthink diffrent

oh right! Didnt know that. Still though that means you have to make up custom mounts to fit it, custom loom, and get i remapped to get just as much power as 172 engine would give you and that will drop straight in!

FOR SALE!!!
the mount fit direct i belive as reno made the engine for volo uses rsi mouts if i remeber right

Clio 197
leighk18 - buy my mk2 Rsi 1.6 16v :)
how much you after for it mate? if i could shift myn on i would do this as its on finace id need rasie the money depnds how much you after have you still got the rs seats in it etc drop us a pm with the details yor only from chesire and im from staffordshire could be a deal mate if can sort stuff out

I selling it this week but got a few peoples want to buy it. Keep your eye out on the car for sale thread.

Sorry no I don't have the RS seats anymore, I use to have but I sold it ages ago.