ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 DCI 100 or 1.6 16v?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
If you're seriously considering changing cars, go and have a look around a dCi and a 1.6 and have a test drive etc - you're the only one who will be able to decide if it's worth changing tbh!

Im going to have a look about I think, just so I know what they feel like to drive etc...Just wanted a few thought from other Clio owners tis all. ;)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
In my opinion I wouldn't go for the 1.6, my mate had one and his fuel consumption wasn't much better than mine in the cup. Admittedly it was fairly nippy but if you wanna stay with a petrol car then keep what you have got, save your money and then get a sport when you can afford it. I got one when I was a student, i never had the time to go out in my final year so I spent most of my money on my car and I could only just keep it on the road!!!

I cant comment on the diesel clio's as I have never had or even sat in one, but I here they are pretty good and get great mpg!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Wish i kept my 1.2, i miss being able to go into corners with my foot down :rasp: plus im kinda bored of my 172 tbh

www.renparts.co.uk
I wouldn't get the dci 100 as when they go wrong they are harder / more expensive to get bits for. If you are going for dci I would go for the 65 or 80 bhp. We do sell a lot of the diesel engines, injectors and turbos but on the other hand we sell a lot of the 1.6 16v k4m engines at well less than half the price!
Basically the dci is a good car when running well!

Not a 320d
Starting to think that to be honest. Although I am still thinking of a 1.6 16v as I wouldn't do any mods to it other than putting my current exhaust system on it and putting it on coilovers. But not sure on what they are like performance wise?

Revvy, but will move compared to the 1.2. They do move when you push the accelerator down, unlike the 1.2 16v. s**t i used to think my 1.2 wasnt bad. Not much torque and flat power delivery.

Tbh All insurance is ridiculous atm... mines more than it was last year :( with an extra years NCB.

+1 same with me.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Ok thanks for the advice guys, suck mixed opinions but I think by the sounds of things im best off sticking to my 1.2 for the time being?

DCi 100
Put it this way.

I spent £194 quid on a Cambelt swap on Tuesday. I just taxed the car for 12 months this morning costing me £30. I then did a 250 mile so round trip at 62mpg, and that was going at some!

I also don't have a sunroof.

I can sit in 5th on the motorway, there's no changing to 3rd/4th. No screaming drama. Simpley abit of gas and the torque is away. Plus it's just over £20 a month more to insure than a 1.2, and I'm 18!

So it's not much more if any to maintain. You get alot cheaper tax which semi balances out the insurance increase. And miles more for your fuel.
I'm going to enjoy it more no doubt once tarted up and aligned. But for now my DCi 100 is excellent. No other way around it. Like said in the thread. I see no point in ever being a 1.~ petrol when this is on offer. :)

Megane
Put it this way.

I spent £194 quid on a Cambelt swap on Tuesday. I just taxed the car for 12 months this morning costing me £30. I then did a 250 mile so round trip at 62mpg, and that was going at some!

I also don't have a sunroof.

I can sit in 5th on the motorway, there's no changing to 3rd/4th. No screaming drama. Simpley abit of gas and the torque is away. Plus it's just over £20 a month more to insure than a 1.2, and I'm 18!

So it's not much more if any to maintain. You get alot cheaper tax which semi balances out the insurance increase. And miles more for your fuel.
I'm going to enjoy it more no doubt once tarted up and aligned. But for now my DCi 100 is excellent. No other way around it. Like said in the thread. I see no point in ever being a 1.~ petrol when this is on offer. :)

+1

Love my megane DCI compaired to my 1.2 clio.

MK5 Fiesta Zetec S
at the end of the day you can only go 70mph legally and the 1.2 is easily capable of this :)

If your car is a 51 plate on 70k miles then its not going to be worth an awful lot, no offense.
To move to a DCI or a 1.6 its going to cost you a couple of thousand to get the car in the first place, then when your finished with it its going to be worth nothing again.

I've had my 1.2 for a year and I'm still quite happy it. I've done roughly 11k in it and its now sitting on 102k miles and still going strong (albiet its absolutely worthless with the amount of miles on it). Only things I've done is a full service (Oil, filter, plugs, leads etc) and 4 tyres and it should last at least another 10k without needing much else done to it.

I would say just get whatever your car needs done, as once done it shouldn't need done again, at least for a good while

Albi blue 197
im 20 mate ive had a 1.6 vtr and a 1.2 16v clio and ive went and bought a 65 dci clio for mpg and when mods are done i can get quicker than vtr so id kinda go with 100 dci easiuly..

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Ok thanks for the advice again guys, some pretty valid points. I think I'm going to hold off and keep my 1.2 for a while then If I do decide to change I might get a dci as Ive seen some good reviews on it on here.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Im currently driving a 1.6 at the minute mate, and if i was in your position id go for the dci 100. Although i love my car, there are certain things that piss me off, such as s**t fuel economy... im only getting 37mpg out of it, not alot more than a sport. Ive been looking at the 100's myself and quite fancy a look into one, mainly because there is alot more tuning potential. The 1.6 is a good car though, cant say ive ever driven a 1.2, or a 2l myself, but people have had a drive of mine and say the power delivery is alot better then a 1.2, but still b****cks all to a 2l. Im running 40mil springs at the minute and that has made me love the car again, such an improvement for very little money.

Btw, how much did your exhaust system set you back? Ive been looking at the KTR stealtht as my full system will need changing sooner rather than later

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Im currently driving a 1.6 at the minute mate, and if i was in your position id go for the dci 100. Although i love my car, there are certain things that piss me off, such as s**t fuel economy... im only getting 37mpg out of it, not alot more than a sport. Ive been looking at the 100's myself and quite fancy a look into one, mainly because there is alot more tuning potential. The 1.6 is a good car though, cant say ive ever driven a 1.2, or a 2l myself, but people have had a drive of mine and say the power delivery is alot better then a 1.2, but still b****cks all to a 2l. Im running 40mil springs at the minute and that has made me love the car again, such an improvement for very little money.

Btw, how much did your exhaust system set you back? Ive been looking at the KTR stealtht as my full system will need changing sooner rather than later

Cost my about £200 all in all, great sounding too.

Listerine & Poledo
Dunno, never had one, but someone added earlier that the 100's do go on strike more regularly than the lower output diesels.

Clio 182 Replica
tbh mate dont listen to these people, i was in the same boat as u im 19 i had a 1.4 207s and i wanted an upgrade so i bought a 1.6 16v clio, its sweet power is nice where u need it ive had it up at 115 easily, beaten a 2.0 diesel mondeo, tbf there fast little cars and cheap to insure, there is alot of difference between a 1.2 and a 1.6 only crackheads wud think otherwise, believe me ive done the swap it wasnt a waste of money and i love my clio, re-map it, induction kit, new manifold and ur away with about 120~ bhp, thats all u really need until u can afford to insure a 197 or like a civic type r make the change it is worth it, fast fun cars :)

Clio RSI 1.6
^ +1 the 1.6 rsi is absolutely fantastic, absolutely loving mine and the fuel is brilliant even when thrashing it, I still get 34mpg with a lead foot, 40+when cruising or driving carefully. Very easy to modify the car, comfortable, cheap insurance for what you get, nippy and pulls well high up too. Reliable engine, one of the best cars I've had and my previous car was a brand new ST!

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
dCi100's are now £30 a year road tax, the 80's fall into group B, which is £20 a year! I have a 400cc Honda & the tax on that is £33 a year...

100's are as rare as, 80's would be my choice as they are the same ins.group as the 65's, a group 9, 100's are 11. ;)

Good gains to be had from a decat, panel filter & a remap!

Diesel all the way as far as Im concerned, 65mpg does it for me. Not that Im biased. :)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
The 1.6 does sound like it might be fun, I guess not ever having a diesel I don't know what to expect, But to be honest the fuel consumption on the 1.6 to a 80 or 100 dci is probably the selling point for me at the moment.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
tbh mate dont listen to these people, i was in the same boat as u im 19 i had a 1.4 207s and i wanted an upgrade so i bought a 1.6 16v clio, its sweet power is nice where u need it ive had it up at 115 easily, beaten a 2.0 diesel mondeo, tbf there fast little cars and cheap to insure, there is alot of difference between a 1.2 and a 1.6 only crackheads wud think otherwise, believe me ive done the swap it wasnt a waste of money and i love my clio, re-map it, induction kit, new manifold and ur away with about 120~ bhp, thats all u really need until u can afford to insure a 197 or like a civic type r make the change it is worth it, fast fun cars :)

But what's your's fuel like? My 1.2 is shocking If I give it beans.

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Getting on average 65MPG from my dCi65, have seen 74mpg on long runs, twice that of a 1.2?

And lets face it - who wants to have to boot their car around in this weather? Nooooooooooot me! Will pull most gears strongly from tickover... Just got a dCi100 intercooler to fit so that will be good for another 10-15 BHP straight off... :cool:

DCi 100
What this guy is saying ^

Similiar driving style ;

Trip in the DCi - 59mpg and going up the further I go.

Trip in the 1.2 - 32mpg and going hovering unless I do 64mph all the way there.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd rather have a dci 100 over a 172/182 at the moment.

All the money saved on insurance/tax/fuel can be spent on a remap and coilovers. You'd have a very capable and economical car then!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I'd rather have a dci 100 over a 172/182 at the moment.

All the money saved on insurance/tax/fuel can be spent on a remap and coilovers. You'd have a very capable and economical car then!

Daniel, are you ok?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm really missing diesel torque now i've got the 200 Ali.

I bought a Mondeo tdci yesterday and nearly creamed my pants. Sooo much easier to drive. No need to rag the tits off it just to get it moving.

1.5dci
I'm so greatful of my dci atm, driving to uni and back everyday, and sometimes twice and not breaking over £ 20 a month of fuel. Just covered 7 weeks with £60 of fuel with twp trips to bristol.
The efficiency does drop if your only doing town/short journeys though.
All that has been at 57mpg, last year when I was doing 200+ a week motorway driving I was at 63mpg or above.
It's not short of welly either, at some point I'll get an ic and remap, but it's still enjoyable to drive without.

If your going to get one then try a few, I test drove two, one was awful, had no go, no pull, something must have been up with it, although the garage thought that was normal for 65's and that you have to get a 80 or 100 for any real power :s

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I'm really missing diesel torque now i've got the 200 Ali.

I bought a Mondeo tdci yesterday and nearly creamed my pants. Sooo much easier to drive. No need to rag the tits off it just to get it moving.

Big diesels are good, i drove a laguna coupe diesel 180 the other day, lovely car to drive and so much punt in 3rd and 4th. Mynes going for a remap next year, 86hp is poo on long journeys

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
to be honest the idea of having power from a 1.5 80 or 100 and being able to remap and gain so much power to but still having better fuel economy is a win for me over the 1.6 petrol tbh atm.

DCi 100
There is a bad point with DCi 100's though, or mine atleast!

I can never trust the petrol gauge. It's at the bottom (digital dash), and it still says 140 miles to empty :S Surely it should be on more than 1 bar out of 8 for that much left?

Nothing at the mo :(
There is a bad point with DCi 100's though, or mine atleast!

I can never trust the petrol gauge. It's at the bottom (digital dash), and it still says 140 miles to empty :S Surely it should be on more than 1 bar out of 8 for that much left?

Theres ya problem lol

Clio 182 Replica
at the end of the day its up to u but i wud race a 1.5 dci any day and be sure to win, at the end of the day its a diesel they are s**t off the line they are only half decent in 50-70 and well my mate has got a 1.7 di corsa and i fuckin piss over that. petrol wise i am doin bout 34.2 mpg, but my 207 was doin 31 and 34 for a petrol is good and doesnt use that much fuel, decion is up to u imo 1.6 ftw f**k diesels...

Your mates corsa doesn't have a cdti engine for starters - so its old fashioned. And who the hell goes around racing from the lights?
In the real world, you need mid range punch and you'll get F**K all from a 1.6.
34 mpg for a non-sport is horrendous too!

Your mates corsa doesn't have a turbo for starters. And who the hell goes around racing from the lights?
In the real world, you need mid range punch and you'll get F**K all from a 1.6.
34 mpg for a non-sport is horrendous too!

34mpg frmo a non RS. i get that in my 182 lol

44mpg on a run last time doign 70mph with cruise control. could of got more if i use speed limited instead and just used my foot