ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1*2's getting very cheap

320d
Is it me or in the last few months have prices really dropped for 1*2's. I sold my ph1 172 in Aprill and looking now I think I would probably get £400 less for it.

A good 182 is now into the late £4K's. The drop seems pretty sudden however as we've got into summer.

Its making me really tempted to get a 182 next year if they continue to drop in value like they are.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, they went up over 2009 up until the point where i bought one, then ever since have plummeted lol

Seems to be the 182's more than any other model.

Clio MK 4
it has dropped cause when i was looking 3 months ago a decent 182 was at 5.8/6k which i couldn't afford at the time.

Hyundai i40
defo dropped maybe to do with the new 200 being out? and starting to be loved by older RS owners

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Some are holding their value still-

racing blue, liquid yellow & black to an extent-

However Arctic Blue & especially titanium silver have dropped significantly- especially anything 50K plus 54 & 04 plated-

A lot of them though with no belt completion is a false economy-- mid 4's with no belts you still have a large outlay to come-

If you have a mint car & its well looked after its still not a problem getting top dollar for them if they are advertised & sold in the right way-
S

Mountune Tractor
Taking into account the launch of the 200, the fact that they are renaults and there are a fair few of them around, I can't say I'm really surprised.
There are very few Renaults that don't actually depreciate in a collapsing fashion. I remember paying £6000 for my 172 in 2006, that same car now is probably worth £3000 max.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
yep I recently got a very clean 52 plate 172 with FSH + 65k on for £2800... can't beat it.

I can't see good ones dropping below £2.5k for a while though...

320d
The 182's have taken the biggest hit. This time last year when I was looking at ph1's and cups, a decent cup was at least £4K now you can pick up a very nice example for just over £3k.

I'm sure decent examples will still fetch good money but there are also bargins out there.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Theres a 172 Cup on Pistonheads with 11 months mot, just needs a tidy up for £2200! I've got my ph1 up for that, and thought that was a good price. Maybe not.....

I was looking to buy 18 months ago, and would of needed at least £3500 for a nice Cup.

Clio MK 4
yep I recently got a very clean 52 plate 172 with FSH + 65k on for £2800... can't beat it.

I can't see good ones dropping below £2.5k for a while though...

i got a right deal from third parties insurance company when they wrote my car off. 4.2k for a 52plate on 60k FSH 3 months ago. Got so much more than if i sold it lol

White clique
The prices are getting to where they should be really. In know everyone would like to think they are still worth loads, but bottom line is they are an old car, 2 models old now and do look dated (the general shape has been around for over 13 years), and there are plenty of other respectable alternatives out there for the money. They cant all stay at 5-6k forever!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I paid £2600 for my 02 80k 172 18 months ago. It won't long before they are around the 2k mark imo.

Take into account vfm, spec, cost to run, comfort, performance and i doubt you'd find anything on the roads to match them. Bargainous!

RB 182 FF
i managed to pick my 04 182 arctic blue, 82k Frenault SH, belts done, 12MOT 2 Tax really god nick, 4 great tyres, minor curbing to one for £3650..... im well chuffed... previous owner really looked after it, i think the mileage dropped it a lot but all mechanically was sound, was surprised i got it for sub 4K tbh but ive been looking for a while and 4K+ was out my price range and they have come down of late

RB 182 FF
As Steve says if it's well looked after and the right colour with the right spec you can still get decent money for a 182. I got £5550 for mine about a month ago after being advertised a week.

Nimbus Megane R26
just a shame all the local idiots can afford them now, one of the reasons i got rid of my 182.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Exactly. They've become the new Paxos.

Downright shame, too, some horrendous examples around my way, chavved cups and 182s. Seems the ph2 172's are the only one's that remain unabused. (ph1's have become chavwagons also).

Williams 2 & 200
It is depressing to be honest, i brough mine in Oct/Nov and now it has probably lost about a grand in depreciation. If i wasn't planning on keeping it for a while i would have got rid by now!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The only upside is that in 3-5 years time, the 197's & 200's will have suffered the very same fate.

Only the V6 (a well kept example will command a buoyant premium)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Exactly. They've become the new Paxos.

Downright shame, too, some horrendous examples around my way, chavved cups and 182s. Seems the ph2 172's are the only one's that remain unabused. (ph1's have become chavwagons also).

b****cks, the only thing keeping the dregs out of them is the fact they are an insurance group 16/17

Also, theres nothing wrong with VTS's and GTi's just as capable as any 1*2

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I generally work on my cars loosing 1k a year so anything more than that and I get upset...

Surely the price of the older ones (like mine ;)) should start to level out soon and stay pretty much as they are and only alter depending on condition mileage etc...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah insurance groups are kinda keeping idiots apart from a few out of 1*2's

That's why they don't sell that quickly. They have a smaller market imo.

Not too many young people <20 out there can afford £1500+ (high example) to insure a 1*2.

I thought about one, seen the prices come down a lot over the 12 months I was looking to change. Was looking at a 6k RB 182 at one point. Now around £4800 for the same car as I was looking at.

Did not want that risk really.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
To be honest most of the Clio Renault Sports (172/182's) are over the hill of depreciation, they have took the worst of the hit having had 2-3 owners now (most anyway)

As you say Gally, a niche market per-se...

Mountune Tractor
b****cks, the only thing keeping the dregs out of them is the fact they are an insurance group 16/17

They aren't the new saxo round my way either, the saxo is still the chavs choice of motor vehicle. Rightly so as well, chavtastic saxo.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

I didn't say there's anything wrong with them, just that a lot are falling in to unfortunate hands. Some of the minimum wage labourers still live at home and whack their full wage on 'modifying' their cars, you should see them Danny. Disgrace.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If you could get a ph1 looking like your old one Dan that is a bargain!

Yeah as you said they can only go down so far, don't think the 182's will be 3k anytime soon. Could be wrong though.

White clique
in terms of chavs not being able to afford due to insurance, not so sure thats accurate, there are LOADS of youngsters willing to pay £1500+ for insurance, almost the norm really.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not sure I agree Alan, I think the only thing keeping them from being really abused is the insurance group, kids look at them in the same class as polo git's/106gti/saxos and when they go to cost up insurance, the increase puts a lot of people off, and I'm glad of it.

Even at 22 the ph1 was nearly a grand to insure FC (I had no, no claims) so it's not easy for younger people really.

White clique
Not sure I agree Alan, I think the only thing keeping them from being really abused is the insurance group, kids look at them in the same class as polo git's/106gti/saxos and when they go to cost up insurance, the increase puts a lot of people off, and I'm glad of it.

Even at 22 the ph1 was nearly a grand to insure FC (I had no, no claims) so it's not easy for younger people really.

There are looooads, in that thread for how old are you and what do you drive there were so many with 172/182/197 at 18/19, plus there is a whole thread dedicated to it running 23 pages

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?410729-Insurance-thread-for-young-1*2-owners

granted not all young people will feel its worth spending money on insurance, but there are loads of young people willing to get skint so they can own one.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
But IMO, mainly an enthusiast-ish sort of person would pay that, a chav would just want something to go fast and not cost that much.

In my local area, I can honestly say I've never seen a chav in an RS, I think I'm pretty much the youngest person I've seen driving one.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Look at ph1's. You can get an average one for about £1000 now.

HUM......

there are no GOOD Ph1 's sub 2k-

I suppose it depends what yoou class as average--- average 90k say 5 owners is still hitting high 1's.....
S

Clio 182 + Recaros
My thoughts exactly - seen a lot of 182's for sale which quite frankly are in a shocking state.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
What time you getting those bits tonight???

& yes you are the only chav in the area-

S

Stagecoach Ticket
all goes on condition and how well cars are looked after only way to fight dropping prices

i sold my 2003 1.2 16v clio on 68k for £2800 due to it being imaculate inside and out with full doc's and servicing

as for ph1s i was shopping for ages all sub 2k versions are dogs or polished turds there are some bargins though

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
While we're on the subject of price of 1*2's, how much would you guys expect to pay for a average milage trophy? I'm getting itchy feet and seen a few around for sub 6k - does that seem low?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What time you getting those bits tonight???

& yes you are the only chav in the area-

S

Don't think I am mate, all a bit depressing if I'm honest (melodramatic I know) poor suspension is knocking its tits off, but it'll cost me the same in petrol as it would to get the btis new.... catch 22 much??

I can't be a chav, I have one of the best cared for ph1's ever ;)

66k miles, 3 owners, done :D