ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 convertion to turbo

clio 1.2
I have a friend who is planning on converting his 1.2 16v to a 1.25 turbo personnal i feel its a waste of time. Can it be done and how much would it cost? need some help convincing him not to waste his money!!

Lots of Alfas
It can be done but it would cost a lot and be a waste of money. A while ago I saw a Renault Twingo with the 1.2 8v engine and that had a turbo.

Golf GTI 1.8T
I'd like to see a 1.4 clio turbo, well would love to be able to afford to have mine done but it would be stupid money.

would be interesting though because the Punto GT's 1.4 turbo engine is 135bhp iirc and quite easily tuneable I hear.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
1.2 is just to small to get a decent ammount of reliable power from without spending s**t loads on it to uprate parts, better starting with atleast a 1.6 16v, but even at that be prepaired to spend a couple of thousand quid. or even a factory built turbo engine from another car

mk1 172
Wouln't waste my time of money.

With the money your friend will spend, he could have brought a mint 172!

None
It will cost about 2.5k - 3k to do. im sure k-tec were going a kit for this engine to get it to 120/130bhp. Dont suppose anyone has a link for this turbo'd Twingo??

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
theduckeatspork said:
www.vanaaken.co.uk - they did a turbo of the scieciento sporting thats only a 1.2

slightly smaller car though and power is a lot more noticeable. i have a cinquecento sporting and for somethign that only has around 50bhp there so much fun. and they feel quick for what they are. but turboing a 1.2 clio is kinda pointless for the money thats spent better and more power could be had much more easily.

and shoudlnt this have really gone in the mechanical section not the styling section?

Last edited:
  MY04 Scooby STi
I looked into my old 1.2, would cost about 3k and give approx 40% more power so I'd reckon that it would be upto bout 110-120 bhp

You can get a 172 engine brakes and suspension fitted for much less and thats a reliable stronger 166hp or more.

The gearbox is week on the 1.2 anyway pllus to run any decient boost you need a new intake manifold as the stock ones plastic so run any boost and you'll blow it to pieces.

Monaro VXR
the 1.2 is fairly good for what it is but i just dont see the point dumping loads of money into a 1.2 to get power from it.

Saying that i have seen a 1.2 punto turbo on the otherside of 200bhp proven but it had serious reliability issues because of it. it was constantly being repaired. just not worth it.

Recaro Black Gold 182
I used to know somebody who had a 1.0ltr turbo, the car was a shed and he got it as standard but was super quick off the mark, watched him beat a FTO, hilarious :D

Different but theres no point, I'd rather have a 172 straight out then spend more money on a 1.2 for it to be almost as quick if not slower...

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
how many of us do it though?once we got an idea in our heads we dont take any notice wat anybody says?its prob cheaper than a 172 to insure?

S13
On the subject, how much would someone (me :eek: ) be looking at to drop a bigger engine into their car? I saw a link someone put up to a 5 Turbo engined mk2 clio the other day.. How much was that for example if anyone knows?

I've been thinking about it as I've got no real desire to change cars but when I get a bit older and have a couple years no claims under my belt I'll want something a bit faster..