ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Clio2 Versus 1.2 Clio3

Yaris Hybrid
Ok as some of you may remember I am thinking of downgrading to an Aygo+ in September.

However I just noticed you can get a 1.2 16v Clio3 Freeway pretty cheap. It is more expensive to buy and run than an Aygo but not much more given that it is a proper car.

I had the 1.2 16v Clio2 and it was perfectly acceptable but this new model is heavier. Officially Renault say this accounts for 0.5s slower to 60.

Anyone driven both the Clio2 and Clio3 1.2 16v and can describe the performance difference?

The Clio3's are a fair bit heavier I remember someone on here having one as a courtesy car and complaining about the performance.
You can get a brand new campus sport 1.2 16v Clio 2 £6k new I believe, pm superfastdan for the latest offers.

Yaris Hybrid
Yeah seen those but only the 8v for £6k.

16v is £7300.

What is the road tax on those 1.2 16v's now?

Of course the Clio3 is only £100 more... My mates say get the Aygo cos if you get the Clio you are taking the gamble you won't get one of the lemons that has the warning lights coming on every five minutes like my mates!

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
TBF the Aygo is a cracking little car, citreon C1 is cheaper though and is prety much the same car.

Clio 3 would be nice but as above will be slower than the clio 2.

Yeah seen those but only the 8v for £6k.

16v is £7300.

What is the road tax on those 1.2 16v's now?

Of course the Clio3 is only £100 more... My mates say get the Aygo cos if you get the Clio you are taking the gamble you won't get one of the lemons that has the warning lights coming on every five minutes like my mates!

£7300 is too much for that.
Tax on the 1.2 16v is now £115. Does it have to be new? What about a second hand dci?

Yaris Hybrid
Yeah I just sat in my bro's Aygo and it does seem a lot better than a Clio even though the inside is just bare metal and plastic.

Hi people.

This is my first post in here.

I'm from Portugal, and I had a '01 ClioII Ph1 1.2l 16v.
Since '07 march that one was changed to a ClioIII 1.2l.

The ClioII was faster than this one, but maybe beacause using Bridgestone B250 175-60R14 I think that was a little bit slower in cornering that the new one (with Continental premium-contact 185-60R15).

Sorry for my bad English, next I will try to speak better.:quiet:

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
Yes, have driven both. Clio 3 is soo much more comfy, and so easy to drive around town.

Cant remember any huge performance difference mate.

Breaking A 172 Replica
More importantly it isn't such a fun chuckable car.

That is what would be putting me off a clio3 as opposed to a clio2.

Sam

What about the 1.2 turbocharged Clio that's just come out? I have driven a Citroen C1 and it is a great laugh to drive, engine sounds nice, plus £35 a year road tax.

RenaultSport 197
Also they are bringing out the Twingo Turbo, a 1.2T 100bhp and a 1.4T 140bhp Twingo. Worth a look, I know I am when they are released onto the market!

Octavia VRS
I drove a 1.2 16v Clio 3 at a Renault open day and it was dire. Ride/handling/'nippyness' were all very poor compred to the mk2 imo

ClioIII has near the same handling of ClioII. It's very good, in fact.
The problem is the power steering, it is very soft and car driver can not feel the car reactions very well.

With a couple of miles the driver of a ClioIII will become accustomed.

VaVa
I bought the missus a Mk3 1.4 Clio..... Even that is slower than her old Mk2 1.2 16v.

Much much much better car in every other respect though. Comfort, build, space refinement. And they do handle ok and can be fun, but the self-centre steering is horrid. You get used to it mind,.