ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v Throttle Issues

Clio 182
Hi guys just looking for some advice.
My girlfriend has a 2001, 1.2 16v clio. Recently the car has been hesitating under acceleration, it got so bad that it would hardly pull away. The electrical fault light comes on.

We plugged into a diagnostics machine and it came up with a strange code, something like 734 I

incoherence between throttle position sensor and control.

We put a new peddle on and cleared the faults. I drove the car for about 20 miles fine, but then the next morning the fault light was on again and it was hesitating.

I think next thing to do is check the wiring between the peddle and the ecu and the throttle and ecu. does anyone have a pin out diagram for the ecu??

Has anyone else had this problem??

Honda Integra Type R
Internal Fault with your throttle Body Mate.

Easy to do just remove the inlet manifold, although the Throttle bodies are quite expensive iirc

Clio 182
Internal Fault with your throttle Body Mate.

Easy to do just remove the inlet manifold, although the Throttle bodies are quite expensive iirc

Yea i think renault quoted about £400 but would beable to get a 2nd hand one providing it doesnt need to be programed to the ECU

Honda Integra Type R
Yea i think renault quoted about £400 but would beable to get a 2nd hand one providing it doesnt need to be programed to the ECU

Yea it does need coded but i cant remember what you have to do i fitted one to a mates girlfriends clio and it wouldnt start. Eventually i got it going.

U have to take the starter wires off to get the Inlet Manifold off so the battery will need disconnecting which will reset the E.C.U

Next day at work i was talking to the R.T.E, You have to turn the ignition on and off so many times. I Think. Cant quite remember.

EDIT:- I remember what happened now, once i fitted the Throttle Body (Due to it not being coded) the car started and ran but was in limp mode wouldnt rev past 3k, we shut it off then started it and let it idle for around 15mins then took it for a blast. No problems ever since

Clio 182
Cheers Scotty, i work as an engine develpoer so do this kind of thing all day. Its dificult enough when you have diagrams and an endless suply of parts avaliable.

I remember what happened now, once i fitted the Throttle Body (Due to it not being coded) the car started and ran but was in limp mode wouldnt rev past 3k, we shut it off then started it and let it idle for around 15mins then took it for a blast. No problems ever since

This makes sence as the ecu will probably learn initalaisation values for the throttle i guess i need to get hold of a spare tb. Not paying reanult them prices though, think its a trip to the scrappy for me.

Im going to try checking the wiring first though as i know that a short circuit or open circuit somewhere could cause this problem too

Honda Integra Type R
Cheers Scotty, i work as an engine develpoer so do this kind of thing all day. Its dificult enough when you have diagrams and an endless suply of parts avaliable.

This makes sence as the ecu will probably learn initalaisation values for the throttle i guess i need to get hold of a spare tb. Not paying reanult them prices though, think its a trip to the scrappy for me.

Im going to try checking the wiring first though as i know that a short circuit or open circuit somewhere could cause this problem too

Cool Mate keep me updated

Charged Superleggera
as beef said mate check that the ecu anti tamperbox hasent chewed through the ecu wires. it a metal black box behind the engine. you cant miss it. its a common thing to happen on the 1.2 16v engines due to poor desighn

Clio 182
Hey guys just thought id let you know what happened with this.

Basically i saw that that black box was rubbing on the wires so that came off but this didn't fir the problem. So i decided to fit a pedal and the car seams fine, the Mrs has done almost 200 miles now with no problem.

So here's my theory. The ECU connector cover rubbed through the wires for the pedal causing a sort and burning out the insides of the pedal. This is a really crap and pointless cover and i recommend people remove it before they have the same problems.

Thanks for the advice guys :cool: