ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

06 Clio 1.5 DCI Sport starting problem

Renault Clio 1.5DCI
Hi

My Clio is having really problems starting. It takes some serious coaxing to get her going, trying the ignition a few times to finally get her to fire up. Once she is running she runs like a dream. Any ideas of the possible problem?

By way of further background, I have had my clio a few years without any real issues but is up to around 130k miles. Over the last month or so it has taken a bit longer to start than before, but has been fine and over the christmas period I managed to rack up a good few hundred miles without any issues.

It then got much harder to start with it taking a good few minutes to get it started so I have taken it to a garage and they have done the following, which I would be interested to hear peoples views:
-they repalced all for glowplugs which they said were in a very bad state
-they said two out of the four fuel injectors were knackered, one completely one only working at half capacity. Replaced the completely knackered fuel injector but left the half working one in to try and cut back the costs.
-reckoned that the tank smelt of petrol and that i must have stuck diesel in at some point. I am not convinced of this at all. I always make a conscious effort to double check im putting diesel in and the problems started before my most recent fill up. So I have done about 500-600 miles since my second to last fill up and then over 100 hundred since my last fill up (both filled up from almost empty to full) before it completely konked out. So they emptied the tank, stuck a bit of diesel in and ran it for a while. This i was a bit suspicious of.

Anyway after all this it seemed to have been fixed, they got the car started straight away when i picked it up, and then i drove it home. The next day it started fine again, drove 20 miles to work all ok. However, in the evening the old problems started again with serious amounts of persuasion needed to start the car. Once I got home I stopped the car and tried to start it straight back up again and the problems still persisted.

I'm going to ring the garage up tomorrow and have a bit of a go as I paid a fair bit of money to get an old car fixed but they dont seem to have sorted the problem at all. As someone who has no idea about cars at all I was hoping for a bit of help from honest more experienced people to arm me for my chat to the mechanics