ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'05 182 with 14,500m on the clock

RS 182

I pick it up on Friday from Dinnages Renault in Sussex. They are going to give it a full service (which they reckon would cost me between £300-£350) before I collect it.
Took it for a test drive, checked the electrics & they all seem fine.

I'm no pessimist, but what can I expect to fall off first?

RS 182
The forecourt price was £7495 without tax.
I got them to accept £1100 for my M-reg 200sx (which is quite good all things considered;)) so I pay £6395 + 6 mths tax = £6510.50
I think that's reasonable but maybe if I'd have waited another couple of months I'd have got a better deal.

RS 182
Do the cup packs really make that much difference to everyday driving & is it possible to get the upgrades done after-market or is it going to cost way too much?

Focus ST
Decent

I've just paid £4,100 for a 172 cup with 51k miles FSH... minter though, Anth wheels, remapped and AAT exhaust

200 Gordini
You get the spoiler & splitter and better/lower suspension with anthracite wheels.

Spoiler & splitter will create better looks and downforce :rasp:
Suspension will improve the handeling.

To upgrade the non cupped version could cost a wee bit but thats a nice car with good mileage.

I just got a 182 with both cup packs, its got 17k on the clock and that cost me £6995

RS 182
You get the spoiler & splitter and better/lower suspension with anthracite wheels.

Spoiler & splitter will create better looks and downforce :rasp:
Suspension will improve the handeling.

To upgrade the non cupped version could cost a wee bit but thats a nice car with good mileage.

I just got a 182 with both cup packs, its got 17k on the clock and that cost me £6995

If it cost more than £1000 then I probably wouldn't bother tbh.

You got a great deal. That must have been bought privately?

Do the cup packs really make that much difference to everyday driving & is it possible to get the upgrades done after-market or is it going to cost way too much?

2 packs:

1) Spoiler pack - larger rear spoiler and front Splitter, not advantage other than visual, nice touch though

2) Suspension/chassis upgrade - uprated suspension, stiffer & lower makes a big handling difference i'm told and I believe the front hubs are stronger/rigid"er" lol + lovely anthracite alloy wheels

Do a search there is lots of discussions about it.

200 Gordini
If it cost more than £1000 then I probably wouldn't bother tbh.

You got a great deal. That must have been bought privately?

Nope, from a Renault dealer in southampton called Marc Elgar. Hes got a racing blue cup in at the moment iirc.

You could get the wheels refurbed, look out for a spoiler on here, ebay, breakers or a scrappy and upgrade the suspension to coilovers. That won't cost a g

RS 182
I assume the aux belt was done the begining of this year?

Just found this:
http://www.strikeengine.com/renault_clio/buying_guide.html

"The two litre engine is tough if properly maintained, the cam belt needs to be replaced every 72,000 miles or every 5 years whichever is the sooner. The auxiliary belt should also be replaced at the same time as it needs to be removed anyway to get to the cambelt. The aux belt costs 19pounds. The tensioners should also be replaced as failure of these items can be disastrous."

So maybe that is rather too soon to worry about.

RS 172
Yes. Have you used them for servicing?

Na mate, there just up the road from me, not sure what they're like for servicing. I've not used them. They've not been doing renault all that long. Baldocks just down the road are quite good!

PH1 172 Sport
I have no idea.
Is that a potential problem for a 3 year old 14.5k car?

Has to be done every 3 years or 32k whichever comes first. If it has a full service history it should have been done buts its worth a check as if it hasn't I would get them to do it as part of the deal.

RS 182
Has to be done every 3 years or 32k whichever comes first. If it has a full service history it should have been done buts its worth a check as if it hasn't I would get them to do it as part of the deal.
Just spoke to the Renault workshop.
They say every 5 years or 36k - whichever comes soonest.
The bloke looked the part up on the Renault database.

^
It's three years or 36,000 miles for the auxillary belt, there is a lot of debate on here about it, some say three some say five.

BMW F21 125d
Its not a bad deal, buts its a bit of a buyers market at the min with the old credit crunch so deals are there for the taking!
As a comparison I got a 54 Plate 182 with Both Cup Packs on 20k for £6900 back in August, pre credit crunch

RS 182
^
It's three years or 36,000 miles for the auxillary belt, there is a lot of debate on here about it, some say three some say five.

It's only having it's 2nd (minor) service so I expect I will get it done next time. I only do about 5-7k a year so mileage certainly won't be an issue.
Thanks for your help guys.

Are there any other things I should think about for an '05 plate 14.5k motor?

Tangoed Works
wouldnt touch that at that price. looks pants without the cup packs imo. mileage is artifically low would prefer something that has been used a little bit at least. 25k or so.

RS 182
wouldnt touch that at that price. looks pants without the cup packs imo. mileage is artifically low would prefer something that has been used a little bit at least. 25k or so.
Blimey - that sounds harsh.
It looked like quite a smart motor.
Oh well - I guess I'm stuck with it now...:(

Tangoed Works
never mind fella, if your happy thats what counts. i think a cup packed (sus and spoiler) 182 in black gold looks spot on. my old one... i saw one without cup packs and imo it just looked lacking.
lhsiderear.jpg

still with a set of lowering springs and anthracite turinis, it will look much better than standard.

Deja vu 182
Shoot me down but i ve had a cup packed and a non cup packed , on the horrendous roads around here the non cup packed feels a lot better on the road doesn t pull all over the place , the anth wheels and cup spoiler do look better though . On a smooth flat track without a doubt the cup d one would be slightly quicker . Enjoy the car mate !! Turini s , springs and spoiler/splitter nobody would know . Good mileage too !!

RS 182
Thanks, will do!

Btw as an update - I spoke to the dealer and they have agreed to do the aux belt at an additional cost to me of £100.
It usually costs about £340 so I think that is a very reasonable compromise seeing as several dealers looked & they all came back with the 5 yr/36k change, not 3 yr/36k. I have to wait another 4 days though.:(

RS 182
Just done 50 miles in it.
Very nice! Love 2nd gear, the handling (it has PE2's on it) & the chunky gearchange/drivetrain.

A little confusion over the stop/service LED which blinks on/off every couple of seconds.
I thought this may indicate a problem but apparently it's just the immobiliser!:eek:

PH1 172 Sport
Just done 50 miles in it.
Very nice! Love 2nd gear, the handling (it has PE2's on it) & the chunky gearchange/drivetrain.

A little confusion over the stop/service LED which blinks on/off every couple of seconds.
I thought this may indicate a problem but apparently it's just the immobiliser!:eek:

Thats doesn't sound right stop service light normally means theres a fault I dont know why it would blink on and off though. The immobiliser has its own light on the dash as well!

RS 182
It's the round LED in between the "STOP" & "SERV" that blinks on & off only once the ignition is off & the key is out. The actual words "STOP" & "SERV" aren't illuminated.
I'm sure it's the immobiliser light.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
just get some eibachs and it will transform the handling at lower it a bit aswell