ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[05/05/15] - Falmouth Meet

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Guys,

I'm looking at setting up a meet for the Cornwall boys and girls.

Location will be the Pandora Inn, Restronguet, nr. Falmouth, TR11 5ST.

The pub has a car park, so hopefully it won't be full on a midweek evening, but if it is, there is also a carpark nearby within walking distance.

I'd aim to get to the pub around 7pm, but we can remain flexible if people would prefer a later or an earlier meet.

Average price of a main meal is roughly £12/13. After the meal we can go for a drive/photoshoot.

I'd love for as many people to attend so we can all get to know each other in the Cornwall area. Hopefully, if we get enough interest then we could make it a monthly thing.

If you're interested then please stick your names down on the list below and I'll book us a table.

Cheers guys!

1. Nyall

197 CUP GW
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but the meet at Par on the 25th already exists. Why have two separate meets in Cornwall ?

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but the meet at Par on the 25th already exists. Why have two separate meets in Cornwall ?

No such thing as a stupid question mate.

Basically, it's quite hard for people to travel around Cornwall, it takes a while to cover a short distance. For example, for the Falmouth guys, it would take an hour to travel to the Par meet. Obviously, it'll take others longer to get to Par the further West they live.

My plan is to have a monthly meet in a wide variety of locations to make the meets more accesible to those living in Cornwall.

Next month, the meet could be in Wadebridge, for example.

I don't see it fair on member(s) who live in Penzance, and would have to make a 3 hour round trip to Par.

And variety is the spice of life!

197 CUP GW
Next stupid question then. Why was Callum's post deleted ? Totally agree with Cornwall, being a awkward place to travel around, but your timings are not quite right ! Par / St Austell are mid Cornwall. I live in Callington, so would suggest I have further to travel. Don't get me wrong, I'm up for meets, with a great number of members. From what I understand, politics and Facebook, seem to be messing around with the meets in Cornwall . Surely it doesn't matter who has set up a meet, you as the area rep should attend. From little acorns................Ps I don't do Facebook.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Next stupid question then. Why was Callum's post deleted ? Totally agree with Cornwall, being a awkward place to travel around, but your timings are not quite right ! Par / St Austell are mid Cornwall. I live in Callington, so would suggest I have further to travel. Don't get me wrong, I'm up for meets, with a great number of members. From what I understand, politics and Facebook, seem to be messing around with the meets in Cornwall . Surely it doesn't matter who has set up a meet, you as the area rep should attend. From little acorns................Ps I don't do Facebook.

Firstly, I can't answer your question with regards to Callum's post. I wasn't even aware he posted in this thread.

Secondly, I'd disagree, Callington to Par should only take 45 minutes or so, but maybe I'm being pedantic. Going back to my scenario where a member would be travelling from Penzance to Par, that would be a 90 mile round trip for said member, compared to a 50 mile round trip from Callington.

Also, other people may not be able to travel like yourself, due to a multitude of reasons. So what I am trying to do is bring the meets to different areas of Cornwall, giving the more remote members a chance to attend a meet rather than keeping the meet in the same location every month. I also feel it would be more entertaining finding new areas, new drives out etc.

Lastly, as a newly appointed Area Rep, I've not attended the Par meet, but you are totally right, Area Reps should try and attend as many meets in their area as possible.

I don't use Facebook either and I'm not trying to get involved in politics.

All I was aiming to do was to bring more meets to more areas of Cornwall, by starting off with the Falmouth meet on Wednesday night. Yes, the dates do clash with the Par monthly meet, however, if we were to do a Cornish monthly meet I would suggest we scrap the Par meet and have our monthly meet in varying locations.

197 CUP GW
The trouble with Cornwall, are the roads !!!! It's not so much the distance, it's the time to travel !!! If the A30 is used, then it's fine.I have no problem with Falmouth, but midweek meet is just not possible.Totally agree with a Cornish monthly meet, which at the moment has been Par.Assume you have read the current thread, where the meet will be heading of to Pentewan Sands.( I think ).The more people meeting up, the better....

197 CUP GW
Forgot to say the Devon/ Cornwall members list needs to be updated. Where do people actually live and are they current members ? Ps. I officially joined yesterday.

Without sounding rude, who are these members from the west other than yourself?

I totally agree with your comments on moving meets about though as the Par meet has gotten a little stale. Meets of 4 or 5 cars get a little boring after a while.

End of the day, there really arn't that many members in the South West, well that actually attend meets. It'd be great to get rid of inter site politics and maybe team up with CSOC to make a decent meet between us.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The idea of the Par meet was to have a regular meet in a regular location at a regular time, so everyone knows where it is. I took a lot of time working out the travel times from various parts of Cornwall so that the fairest location could be chosen - that way nobody can complain about it being too far away from them. IIRC Google Map states the same travel time from Helston as it is from Plymouth, within a couple of minutes.

That doesn't mean we can't have other meets elsewhere though, would love to do a Falmouth meet, Truro meet etc. , but I think personally they would be better as additional meets.

With regards to CSOC, I agree. SW members have nothing to do with the issues between the clubs, but everyone's losing out. Despite my best efforts, joint meets are definitely out though, in CS's eyes.

Whatever happens though, it's good to see that there are actually people willing to do meets - for a long time Cornwall was completely dead.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
I'll postpone this Falmouth meet by a week or two, to enable us to stagger it from the Par meet.

@McGherkin, if you're happy to continue your Par meet on Saturday and for the future, then we'll see if we can do the "various locations around Cornwall" meets 2 weeks after the Par meets if that makes sense?

197 CUP GW
I'll postpone this Falmouth meet by a week or two, to enable us to stagger it from the Par meet.

@McGherkin, if you're happy to continue your Par meet on Saturday and for the future, then we'll see if we can do the "various locations around Cornwall" meets 2 weeks after the Par meets if that makes sense?
Here we go round in circles ! Various locations yes, but must be 4 weeks after par meet on Saturday. Everyone should attend this meet, then we can all discuss the future meets and locations.FULLSTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Erm... I'm not sure what you're getting at there fella.

Agreed on everyone getting together and talking face to face over a nice meal and a drink though :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Simple struggle for one meet in Cornwall per month, now two suggested !

2 meets a month, one on a weekend and one on a weekday is how an area should be setup IMO.

It allows people who work weekends the chance to attend and also the people working weekdays a meet to attend at the weekend

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Update on this guys...

I'm going to make this meet earlier by one day.

The meet will now take place on Tuesday 5th May, 7pm, at Pandora Inn, Falmouth, TR11 5ST.

I hope this hasn't messed up anyones plans, and I hope to see some of you guys there after the Bank Holiday weekend!

Cheers,
Nyall