ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

02 clio 1.2 starts first time one min then nothing at all the next time

2x Clio mk3 1.5dci
My girlfriend has a 1.2 clio (02) with a starting issue one minute it starts first time then sometimes you turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. I belive this is a common fault but has anyone found out how to fix it? Thanks!

205 GTIS
Have you checked the condition of the spade terminal on the startermotor solenoid? Chances are it will be blue with corrosion. Give it a good wipe clean with some emery cloth and contact cleaner, renew the crimp if required.

PH2 172
Have you checked the condition of the spade terminal on the startermotor solenoid? Chances are it will be blue with corrosion. Give it a good wipe clean with some emery cloth and contact cleaner, renew the crimp if required.

Good advice.The solonoid rides piggy back on the starter motor.Check the thick red positive lead is tight on the solonoid pole.Arch(bridge) the positive poles to prove the starter motor brushes are good.If starts/turns every time,take a lead(length of wire) direct from battery positive terminal and spark up the spade terminal on the solonoid.If this turns every time,next stop is the ignition switch,no need to remove it,just find the plug and check out with multimeter.
If everything good so far,I`m afraid it`s wiring loom or immobiliser problem,good luck.

Monaco
My old 1.2 did exactly this and it was the "flywheel motion sensor". My girlfriend's started doing it too, replaced the "flywheel motion sensor" and that fixed hers as well.

I was a bit more of a noob back then so i just got a garage to look over it, took their word for it and let them fix it. 2 out of 2 is a good success rate though!

clio dci , ren8
If your referring to it not cranking over another good place to check is the engine earth when it wont start take a jump lead & run it from the battery - negative terminal to the engine pref near the starter & see if it starts if it does it needs a earth lead from gear box to the body