ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£850 later...

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the 182 has just hit 72k service time so cost me £850 for -

service
cam belt change
mot
pulley kit or accessory kit
nail in tyre
fixing both front jacking points so i can use the shitty renault jack

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL - Where did you get it done? If its a reputable place they will have done the lot

bottom pulley on the cambelt. It doesn't come as part of the kit so usually gets missed... and can usually go shortly after a cambelt change.

You'll have to pay to get both belts done again if it goes, so best to ask for it to be done at the same time. I didn't, and mine went 2 months after the cambelt change :dead:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yeah ren-o-tech in chelmsford, highly recommended place.

heres what the invoice says -

replace cam belt kit assembly
replace ACC belt kit assembly

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
bottom pulley on the cambelt. It doesn't come as part of the kit so usually gets missed... and can usually go shortly after a cambelt change.

You'll have to pay to get both belts done again if it goes, so best to ask for it to be done at the same time. I didn't, and mine went 2 months after the cambelt change :dead:

oh right i see, didnt know that.

might be worth a phone call

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its not *that* common for the dephaser to go/come noisy, dont worry imo

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ah now something in the engine bay was noisy and they change it for me, i flagged it up as a problem.

so hopefully it was the dephaser

Discounted 1*2 parts
dephaser is one of the camshaft pulley's (RH one as you look at the engine side on iirc) its not that common on the F4R engine but we change a lot on the K4M though. We do come across the bottom pulleys breaking in 2 pieces on the F4R engine when they are removed but this isnt the dephaser

Last edited:
I'll add to the list of people caught out with the dephaser going not long after a cambelt change, if you've not had it done keep your fingers crossed. If you're reading this and the belt is due just change the f**king thing. I wish I'd insisted on mine being changed now.

Any idea if JMS would do this as part of the cam/aux belt change?

Previous owner of mine had the belts done in June says 'Full Aux/Cam Belt Kit' in the service book.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i will phone the garage tomorrow to check.

if its not been done is it expensive to get changed?

Never above 25mpg
i will phone the garage tomorrow to check.

if its not been done is it expensive to get changed?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im not debating the money i want to know what to expect so i dont get ripped off

the dephaser is around £130, add onto that the £400 to do both belts again...

I ended up trading in the car, I was f**ked if I was paying another £500odd after forking out for the belts to be done 2 months prior.

Oh, and don't always assume a decent garage will do it as part of the belt change automatically. My belts were done at K-tec and the pulley clearly wasn't checked at the time.

If you don't ask you don't get!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Unless a dephaser was noisy or a customer asked, i wouldn't change it!! You can go on forever, change the waterpump "just in case" etc etc! if its quiet and ok, leave it unless your flush like!

They have gone up, over £140 from memory!

n/a
Unless a dephaser was noisy or a customer asked, i wouldn't change it!! You can go on forever, change the waterpump "just in case" etc etc! if its quiet and ok, leave it unless your flush like!

i still have a water pump from my previous clio, best thing is to ask the mechanic while he is doing the belts to check it for me, unless you want to change them for me? pm coming your way in a sec dude

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
fudge me, my engine is still making a squeeking noise.

ill video/record at some point get some opinions

I would agree to an extent. Many jobs you could say replace x, y or z to be on the safe side. The reason why I'd personally suggest it on the cambelt job is the fact that it's not something that can be thrown on by the owner in an hour with a few spanners if it does fail. It's a large sum of money in terms of labour and you end up replacing the belts too so weighing up the pro's and cons I'd sooner replace it knowing what I do now. £140ish extra now or £5-600 if it fails before the next 72k or 5 years interval to the next cambelt change...

Mondeo TDCI 130
^ true!!! but tbh, there arent many 1*2's with noisy dephasers!

EDIT : f**k me you post *****!!!!

^ true!!! but tbh, there arent many 1*2's with noisy dephasers!

EDIT : f**k me you post *****!!!!

Mine, Fubar and at least one other I know of have all failed very shortly after belt change. I wont name the third confirmed one as I don't think he's posted about it and don't feel it's my place to publicise it.

In hindsight thinking about it now It's a long old drag for the dephaser to last if you're expecting it to go 144k or 10 years.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Mine, Fubar and at least one other I know of have all failed very shortly after belt change. I wont name the third confirmed one as I don't think he's posted about it and don't feel it's my place to publicise it.

In hindsight thinking about it now It's a long old drag for the dephaser to last if you're expecting it to go 144k or 10 years.

so 3-4 cars out of what 100,000??

No idea would belt tension have any effect on lifespan? I felt my cambelt sounded overtightened after it was changed but took the car back and was reassured that it wasn't.

Mondeo TDCI 130
no, there is a setting on the tensioner, so shouldn't be over tightened!! It isn't rocket science tbh! :( I dunno, you watch one will have failed this time tomorrow!!!