ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£4000 for my car!!

been into my local dealership asking bout a 182... i asked how much i would get for mine as p/x and they said £4000 :eek:

Now i only bought the car from the same dealeship 7 months ago and paid £5500 for it. Its a 2001 Y plate 1.4 16v Alize which has done 38000 miles. Ive only done 4000 miles since i bought the car, so surely it wouldnt had depreciated that much!!

It put me off looking at the 182 that day so i walked out!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

There is a BIG difference between trade-in price and retail price mate, its always the same!

Sounds about right to me...

Its the way Dealers are unfortunately I remember my mother bought a car from a Dealer once for £9000 and decided to change it for an anther car 4 months later and the Garage in question only offered her £4000. Suffice to say he went else were but thats life, and thats probably about right unfortunately for your car your best trying to sell privately. Tony

If they sold it for £5500, then they must have traded it in for quite a bit less before you got it!

Cars get traded in and sold for silly amouns more!

Sell private!

nah, ive decided to keep her... well until it starts costing me too much money for repairs etc.

how much dya reckon i could get for her selling privately?

BMW 118d

According to Glasss Guide (with is the book of car values that all dealers use, and costs a bomb!!!!) it is worth £4325 trade, and £5325 retail. The £4000 that you have been offered is about right because they always offer a bit less than trade price on part exchanges. The retail price of £5325 is what they would then try to sell it for, as a minimum price. Id say, to sell it privately you are looking at about half way between these figures at about £4800.

they make a lot of money out of people because trading in is convenient to the buyer of the new car. they get a guaranteed price there and then rather than having to have the bother of selling privately

I would have thought you would have been offered a bit more than that - I was offered £4000 for mine by a Seat dealer (against an Ibiza FR) and it is a 2001 Y with 51,000 miles on it.

In the end I traded it in for £4600 at an Audi dealer - not too bad really.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

People with blinkers on go to dealers.They rip you off big time.

Sell private and walk in with a deposit,Tell them motorpoint do 182s for 12.5k on the road and then give him some lip,abuse and generally be off with them.If you look like a pansy for one minute then theyve got you.If they fob you off with the import crap then just say "there all imported,we dont have a renault factorry in the u.k."With what you save from motorpoint and selling private will be around £3500,including your car and if you buy an import then there is no way on this planet that it will worth 3.5k less than a u.k one when you eventually come to sell it.

Dealers are turds and prey on young and old alike,the only reason there is still a two-tier system of car sales in the u.k. is because people like you(maybe )go and visit them and hand them all your money.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

ian (good luck)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 18 April 2004

have i just been told off!!? lol :oops:
not at all mate,i just hate dealers full stop.They just rip you off with a smile.

Regards,ian