ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£20K for a Clio 200?!?

PS 200
Not a chance mate.

Maybe £16k plus but no brand new unregistered 'FF' 200 will be less than £16K.
My FF 200 was £13,150. (Would have been 12,999 if GW wasn't £150 ;).

But the middle of last year the dealers were $hitting themselves - today £16k is probably as cheap as you'll find.

My FF 200 was £13,150. (Would have been 12,999 if GW wasn't £150 ;).

But the middle of last year the dealers were $hitting themselves - today £16k is probably as cheap as you'll find.

I bet a lot of people wished they had bought one last year then...

Ime hoping 197's start coming down a fair bit, now more people are buying 200's

Italian 3.2 V6
Would never spend 19k on a Clio never mind on any new car, 2nd hand Market FTW tbh, loose toooo much money on new cars!!

I could buy a brilliant ph2 V6 (weekend toy) and have a 1*2 as a daily run around car for that money! And have prob more fun!

Even of I sold those cars in 2/3 years time I'd prob just about get my money Back as they have both basicly leveled out now..

PSJ.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Using the scrappage scheme and hard negotiation last September I also got my Cup with Recaro, Met black and A/C for a super price, list price was £18k to this spec and I took nearly 25% off that.........:cool:

This was the best time to buy a 200, VAT was reduced and scrappage scheme was ideal for those that had something to trade in (I kept a £500 Mondeo in the UK for occasional going home use, perfect)!

Even managed to get a jack, floor mats and tank of fuel thrown in.

It's amazing what can be done if you phone at the end of the quarter when they would really like an extra car on the sales bonus. Especially if you pay in full on a Switchcard.

I know for a fact the dealer paid more for this car than I did :cool:

GTD, Lupo
Would never spend 19k on a Clio never mind on any new car, 2nd hand Market FTW tbh, loose toooo much money on new cars!!

I could buy a brilliant ph2 V6 (weekend toy) and have a 1*2 as a daily run around car for that money! And have prob more fun!

Even of I sold those cars in 2/3 years time I'd prob just about get my money Back as they have both basicly leveled out now..

PSJ.

But we all know the joys of second hand car ownership. You only need to have a quick look around the forum and there are the following post.

"Just found out my car is a Cat D"
"My engine has just blown"
"Think my cam belt has just snapped"
"funny noise coming from engine"
"how much does changing my belts cost"

The running cost of a 182 and V6 would be crazy in comparison to the 200. Im guessing in 3 years unless you are ibrench you will only need to replace the tyres once and nothing else. Anything else goes you take it back to renault and get it done under warrenty. Have heard disks and pads on a V6 can cost a lot.

Bring insurance into it and your talking silly money to insure 2 cars and then if one gets crashed into you will get a smaller pay out than you paid for it. Where as with the 200 gap insurance is your friend and i only pay £350 fully comp.

So in 3 years time when i come to sell my 200 it has cost me nothing more than a set of tyres and 2 services.

Compared to the cost of 2 insurance policies, 6 mots and plus any stuff that just loves to creep up and bite you in the ass like it always does.

I choose a 200 over a second hand 182 trophy for peace of mind. Plus i know the car hasnt been thrashed to death before i have owned it.

Depends what you want form the car really. At a guess im willing to say the cost of running a V6 and 182 and maintaining them to a high level will almost offset the cost of depreciation. I say almost because with a second hand car you always have the risk of not knowing what will happen.

Gorms

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Some words of wisdom from Gorms, but I think the really wise money goes on a 6 month to 1 year old car where you get the benefits of both warranty and depreciation.

My Clio is probably the only new car I will ever buy, I've owned 20 previous cars without ever being caught out (though most were Jap so probably a safer bet).

Just wanted to get a new car, so I could think "Been there done that" and the 200 fitted the bill in more ways than one.

Interestingly enough, one of my other options was also a Trophy, but I could not justify £8k on a 5 year old French car with uncertain history!

Iceberg 172
They're selling like hot cakes so that says they're not too expensive.

I personally wouldn't but a new one, but I would buy a 1 year old car with the right options.

Clio 200 Cup
This is the problem, devaluation of money and subsequent price inflation fuelled with justification made by comparison.

£20k is lots and lots of money. The reality is that a new RS200 is probably rolling off the production line for £6k - like it or not folks.
(I'll be in the anderson shelter if you want me)

I wonder how much cars would cost if finance had never been an option to people?

Agree with Joeh.

Demand on the 200 has lead to a 20 - 25 week wait, so people are definitely buying them.

£20K on a Clio in todays prices is hardly extortionate. I mean what were the 182's list...£16K?? That was 6 years ago.

260% JCW
Gorms,

Do you think the bits and bob's you may have to fork out to run 1*2 (any model) would offset the depreciation + running costs of your 200 after 3 years?

IMO You could pick up a cheap well maintained 1*2 for 5k, and i doubt the running costs over 3 years will come to 10k.

They do seem to be selling though, i saw 3 White 200's in Chester yesterday.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
That is a scary drop in value!! Why would anyone ever think that was a good idea?!

I think that's the going rate for a 1.5 year old 197, find me a 6 month old 200 for £12k and I'll take a few of them ;)

Italian 3.2 V6
You have a fair/good point but if you know what your looking for and have done your research properly you'd be very unlucky to fork out alot of money if one broke. If you don't look after them etc then it's expected o happen (reg services etc) if you look after the car it will look after you ;)

it Would be costly if u used both cars daily but not if you bought and used (say a ph1 172) daily and the V6 the odd, good weekend (Winters no good) so hardly any milage getting put on that I don't think running costs would be hugely more tbh. Prob work out the same really (running costs) 6 n 2 three's but Then again that also does depend on age n insurance like you say.

Basicly if I have your head screwed on you could do it IMO.. I can't see some1 losing 6-8k over 3 years on running costs to the amount of money you will loose on a 200 plus the running costs on the 200 over 3years.

PSJ.

But we all know the joys of second hand car ownership. You only need to have a quick look around the forum and there are the following post.

"Just found out my car is a Cat D"
"My engine has just blown"
"Think my cam belt has just snapped"
"funny noise coming from engine"
"how much does changing my belts cost"

The running cost of a 182 and V6 would be crazy in comparison to the 200. Im guessing in 3 years unless you are ibrench you will only need to replace the tyres once and nothing else. Anything else goes you take it back to renault and get it done under warrenty. Have heard disks and pads on a V6 can cost a lot.

Bring insurance into it and your talking silly money to insure 2 cars and then if one gets crashed into you will get a smaller pay out than you paid for it. Where as with the 200 gap insurance is your friend and i only pay £350 fully comp.

So in 3 years time when i come to sell my 200 it has cost me nothing more than a set of tyres and 2 services.

Compared to the cost of 2 insurance policies, 6 mots and plus any stuff that just loves to creep up and bite you in the ass like it always does.

I choose a 200 over a second hand 182 trophy for peace of mind. Plus i know the car hasnt been thrashed to death before i have owned it.

Depends what you want form the car really. At a guess im willing to say the cost of running a V6 and 182 and maintaining them to a high level will almost offset the cost of depreciation. I say almost because with a second hand car you always have the risk of not knowing what will happen.

Gorms

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Ive seen 2 at 12k, both with 20k on and a few owners.

Bet they weren't 6 months old and a few owners would also worry me at their age :eek:

I was rather hoping to keep mine 3 years then sell it for 9-10k, but to be fair, I've only done 3k miles in 9 months :eek:

GTD, Lupo
Gorms,

Do you think the bits and bob's you may have to fork out to run 1*2 (any model) would offset the depreciation + running costs of your 200 after 3 years?

Nope thats just silly. The original discussion was about running a V6 and a 1*2 at the same time. I know the 200 will lose more in depreciation but its the fact that you will still have the car in 3 years time where as with older cars we all know they go wrong and as seen on here.

My last car before my clio was a Mk2 golf. The idea was to buy a nice one and do it up to show standard. I got a j reg 16v run out model with 92k on the clocks (knew what to look for) well looked after and well maintained. Now a year down the line i had won two Show and shines and the car was looking pretty mint. Then all hell broke loose one winter. Piston ring went and the car had a savage amount of hidden rust when i went to go get it resprayed. Fair doos the car was getting on for 18 years old but i have seen the same with cars that are only 4-8 years old and in my eyes is the worst period to own a car.

I would like to think a 200 in 3 years time from now would be worth around the 10k (maybe high 9k) mark with low to average millage. Now if you paid 20k for that car thats your own fault really. But if you paid 14-16k its not really all that bad for 3 years of no hassle driving.

I looked at other new cars before the clio and all were a lot more costly, and not everyone wants a second hand car.

Paul

their will always be a deal to be had if you do your homework cs is always keen to under value tbh cars are more expensive these days

mine came to £20,180.00 this was worse case with options i may decide not to have :eek:

Last edited:
  GW Clio 200
I recently placed my order for a FF 200, GW, Blk speedlines, cup chassis, cornering lights, for £16k exactly. Not a bad deal I think, £800 less than I was quoted for the same spec car a year ago.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nope thats just silly. The original discussion was about running a V6 and a 1*2 at the same time. I know the 200 will lose more in depreciation but its the fact that you will still have the car in 3 years time where as with older cars we all know they go wrong and as seen on here.

My last car before my clio was a Mk2 golf. The idea was to buy a nice one and do it up to show standard. I got a j reg 16v run out model with 92k on the clocks (knew what to look for) well looked after and well maintained. Now a year down the line i had won two Show and shines and the car was looking pretty mint. Then all hell broke loose one winter. Piston ring went and the car had a savage amount of hidden rust when i went to go get it resprayed. Fair doos the car was getting on for 18 years old but i have seen the same with cars that are only 4-8 years old and in my eyes is the worst period to own a car.
I would like to think a 200 in 3 years time from now would be worth around the 10k (maybe high 9k) mark with low to average millage. Now if you paid 20k for that car thats your own fault really. But if you paid 14-16k its not really all that bad for 3 years of no hassle driving.

I looked at other new cars before the clio and all were a lot more costly, and not everyone wants a second hand car.

Paul
Its all relative. I've had 4 RS Clios over the last 6 years or so, and they've all been spot on. Think you'd be doing VERY badly to be spending 6k in faults on a second hand Clio..............

GTD, Lupo
Its all relative. I've had 4 RS Clios over the last 6 years or so, and they've all been spot on. Think you'd be doing VERY badly to be spending 6k in faults on a second hand Clio..............

True 6k of faults would be pretty bad going.

Reading the whole thread ftw!

Gorms