ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£1400 repair bill

a burnt one
Surely if the battery's not charging properly then its either an alternator or starter motor you need?

All that work, excluding the head gasket should cost no more than £400 - £500, id be mighty cheesed off if i had to pay £400 for that.

I wouldnt go to kwik fit unless i was desperate ive seen and heard many horror stories, they will tell you that you need discs and pads all round wether you do or not and probably tell you that you have 6 bald tyres.

Like the time they told my mate he needed new shocks as they were leaking oil, only for him to inform them they were gas shocks.

They are not mechanics and wouldnt know what a timing belt was, they are vehicle fitters and fix brakes, tyres, exhausts and batterys, anything that anybody with some mechanical knowledge and a bit spare time can do 80% cheaper than them.

I wouldnt go trading in a car no matter how bad it was when you say you dont have a spare £50 for a battery.

That battery you have been quoted for is obviously solid gold as any battery i have ever bought costs between £35 - £50 depending on the make with a 3-4 year warranty that includes V.A.T and fitting

My Legs
cool thanks man, looks like ill still sruggle tbh, but ill give it a shot, whats that tool for? ill look like a right burk if i get to taking everything off and need that tool to get the Ball joint off....

haines is pretty dumb , mind you so are people in general, ie me :p

My Legs
aye kwik fit are among these "dumb" people im talking about, didnt you know that renault batteries are made out of solid gold!? man where have you been !?!?! HAHA

My Legs
well half of 1400 is 700 (dur lol) which i still find a little expensive :S
or am i being a tight get!? where are you from? i dont mind driving too far if it means i can knock a hell of alot off the bill.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
if you went by a retail price just for gen parts i bets its 300-400quid. you could shave some off that with non gen brakes,battery etc but id always use gen cambelt kits etc.

2005 Nissan Navara
Where abouts in Carlisle are you from mate? Theres plenty of places that will do it far cheaper than Benfields. Look in the yellow pages would be a start.

A mate of mine used to work at Seberham services (out towards Caldbeck way from Carlisle)...they would likely sort it and I think they charge £25/hour. my mate doesnt work there anymore, or else i'd have a word like....he works in Mazda now...probs as expensive as Renault hehe

My Legs
just went to my dads mate, he said that its not the passenger side ball joint that is fooked its the drivers side and that the passenger side is on the way out so he is going to change them both, it wasnt the rack arms that needed replaced it was only the antiroll bar links!!!

its gonna cost me £109 inc parts and labour, and i think VAT.
after this im gonna see if i can borrow the money to buy the corolla, if i can ill part exchange it after i get this fixed seeing its the most obvious problem with it squeeking and all that. they will be none the wiser :p

i still cant belive that the corolla has 189 bhp from a 1.8 !!! woot!!!