ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel cleaner

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Need a reccomendation on some wheel cleaner, wife’s wheels on the mini have loads of caked on crap. Scrubbed a fair bit off with a microfiber cloth and neat shampoo, but still rank.

Heard of ironX being good but is it the best?

Ta

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh if they're properly caked in it, probably worth just getting them refurbished and sealed up properly after it.
^^ This. My old wheels were pretty rough after a few track days with brake dust burnt in (didn't get the paint thick enough between the spokes). Nothing was shifting it. Gave up and actually bought new wheels, mainly as I wanted different wheels.
I used AMDetails iron fall out stuff on my daily's wheels recently and that got them very clean, also highlighted how bad their condition is and it is making me want to refurb them, also doens't help that I have just had a set of wheels refurbed on my other car and they look proper smart,

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Thanks for the replies, I’ll have a mooch.
I would love to get the refurbed as they’re curbed too, but can free up the money at the moment so if I can get them looking better it’ll do for now

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
IronX beats most. That’s why it’s more expensive.

It it’s proper proper caked on you’ll need something acidic.

Mrs new meg250 has a bit of rust/pad fallout on the wheels. Going to try iron x first, any rocommendations for an acidic based cleaner ? I see a lot of the harsher stuff has been tamed now.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Mrs new meg250 has a bit of rust/pad fallout on the wheels. Going to try iron x first, any rocommendations for an acidic based cleaner ? I see a lot of the harsher stuff has been tamed now.

Something like this should do the trick but work quick with it. You don’t want to leave this on for too long

7D0A1073-8E2C-4B3B-92C3-E3523017811E.png

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I bought some the other day, wasnt impressed.

Autosmart smart wheels is far better, as an example.

Land Rover
Best stuff l have ever used is Wonder Wheels.
Not the spray but the bottle/brush one.
You paint the solution on, and the brush is also used to help loosen any stubborn deposits.
Then wash off with soapy water. It’s never damaged the finish and does a great job.
I’ve used it on everything from a Fiat Panda to a Ferrari.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Best stuff l have ever used is Wonder Wheels.
Not the spray but the bottle/brush one.
You paint the solution on, and the brush is also used to help loosen any stubborn deposits.
Then wash off with soapy water. It’s never damaged the finish and does a great job.
I’ve used it on everything from a Fiat Panda to a Ferrari.

Yeah that’s also good.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I find it all depends how bad the brake dust is so it's good to have a selection of wheel cleaners

Sealed wheels washed weekly - just shampoo

Non sealed wheels washed fairly regularly - bilberry

Fairly dirty wheels - bilthamber or iron X

Wheels that have hardly been washed and are caked on dust - wonder wheels

Absolutely ruined wheels from track day pads and hardly ever washed - acid wheel cleaner as mentioned by @sunglasses Ron and @Daniel

Acid wheel cleaner worked miracles on my track wheels that I thought were beyond saving. It's so cheap too.