ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what is so special about the trophy setup?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd rather keep my 172 and pay someone to teach me how to drive it properly, I doubt I have the balls to reach the outer limits of both cars!

I've had a Williams and a 16v and I preffered the williams however...

Did I exploit it to its true potential? No

Did I exploit the extra handling benefits over the 16v? - probably not

Did I enjoy the fact that I'm driving a car all the critics say is an awesome car? Yes

Do I drive my 172 faster than the Wiliams? Yes

Reason?

With me its the fact its more common and if I break it I get another easily - so my mind is more focused on enjoying it rather than cleaning it and preying it keeps its resale values.

Another reason is because that had 96,000 miles on it and the has 33,000 miles on it - Regardless of handling qualities the Williams will have been on tired parts, I probably never got to see its true true capabilities.

My reason for not getting a Trophy was due to useability - I doubt my 172 can't do anything a Trophy could with the way I use it.

So to the very first question you have to ask yourself do you really NEED that suspension or is it you WANT it?

Would I have a trophy? Yes!

But I can tell you now with the way I am personally I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the 172, I'd be baby'ing it rather than using it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I used to rag the Trophy whenever possible! At the days end, it's just a clio.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^^ They all are its true - but every owners different I guess - to you its a clio to someone else its the best car on earth.

911 GT3, 320i, M3
I went out in a trophy a few weeks ago and was very impressed, The suspension was idea for spirited driving on UK roads, which is what it was designed for at the end of the day. There was no point in it being any harder as it would have got to the point were it was bouncing off the pot holes and general crap road surfaces.

I'm sure for track work it could be improved upon but how many of these cars spend enough time on the track to justify possibly wrecking the good work Renault put in.

Italian 3.2 V6
lol id say my average RPM gear change is at about 4-5k

i also think its healthy for the car :D

its the grandads who are slow that f**k cars and chavs who cant change gear correctly and just rag it stupidly

Clio 172 RS2
I went out in a trophy a few weeks ago and was very impressed, The suspension was idea for spirited driving on UK roads, which is what it was designed for at the end of the day. There was no point in it being any harder as it would have got to the point were it was bouncing off the pot holes and general crap road surfaces.

I'm sure for track work it could be improved upon but how many of these cars spend enough time on the track to justify possibly wrecking the good work Renault put in.

Still the remote reservoir ie. more oil when needed, works wonders when potholing or on any crap road surface.

Even so more noticeable at speed.

Ours just bounce off the bumpstops even if you fit comp. bumpstops!

While the Trophy maintains and keeps it composure.

Real world and trackdays are way different anyways.

Just in case anyone on this thread (and indeed this board) didnt realise, standard renault suspension from the factory is called a mcpherson coil over set up. In other words the spring coils over the strut.

Many are misusing the meaning of word.

I think what many of you mean by 'coilovers' is 'after market coilovers'

The williams, valver, renault 5 turbo, 172, 172cup, 182 and trophy all came as standard with COILOVERS.

funny argument this, the trophy is the best standard hot hatch i have driven, i agree that a well sorted 172/182 would be as good!!! you got to hand it to renault, they make the maddest production cars!!!! people will be going on about r26r v r26 in the same way!!! you know which one you really want.....

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
funny argument this, the trophy is the best standard hot hatch i have driven, i agree that a well sorted 172/182 would be as good!!! you got to hand it to renault, they make the maddest production cars!!!! people will be going on about r26r v r26 in the same way!!! you know which one you really want.....

And thats just it, most people want a trophy really, but as they haven't, they have to argue about it! Sure you can make pretty much any small hatch out perform it, but this is a limited run factory standard car that is very capable on the road.
I've had enough experience in 172/182s to say that i honestly think the trophy is more enjoyable, not necessarily faster but certainly has a little something about it that makes it the one to own for me.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Its a good handling car,thats it.

As tested in evo,the meg 175 DCI goes around bedford quicker

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Its a good handling car,thats it.

As tested in evo,the meg 175 DCI goes around bedford quicker

The Trophy in my opinion is about going fast, it's just a slightly more tweeked version of a very good hot hatch to celebrate the end of the MK2 clio.
If you want fast, go buy a £3k sti impreza, it'll be hugely quicker, but for me not fun like the clio.

I think there are two type of people, people who want to go faster than everyone else and people who can enjoy a car for what it is, even if they can't keep up with a such an such

White clique
The Trophy in my opinion is about going fast, it's just a slightly more tweeked version of a very good hot hatch to celebrate the end of the MK2 clio.
If you want fast, go buy a £3k sti impreza, it'll be hugely quicker, but for me not fun like the clio.

I think there are two type of people, people who want to go faster than everyone else and people who can enjoy a car for what it is, even if they can't keep up with a such an such

+1, nice summary.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not sure as the hubs are different.

Not worth the cost imo. Get a set of AST's H&R's set up properly.
I've yet to drive a coilovered clio that handles rough roads as well as a Trophy. I'm on AST's, and I've driven a corner weighted 172 on H&R's. On track, you can go quicker than a Trophy, yes. But setting up for a billiard smooth surface is much easier than getting things right for the real world. As said, no Clio will be the quickest thing on the road.

VaVa
I thought remote resovoirs were for keeping the oil cool, or at least at a steady temperature to maintain the same thermodynamic properties?

Quite how this comes into play on a road car I'm not sure. I doubt the resovoirs have anything to do with it. It just well damped.

But telling your mates all about it is worth the shame of driving a bright red car with grey wheels I guess. lol.

VaVa
Just in case anyone on this thread (and indeed this board) didnt realise, standard renault suspension from the factory is called a mcpherson coil over set up. In other words the spring coils over the strut.

Many are misusing the meaning of word.

I think what many of you mean by 'coilovers' is 'after market coilovers'

The williams, valver, renault 5 turbo, 172, 172cup, 182 and trophy all came as standard with COILOVERS.

But not at the back. So you go from coilover front to coilovers all round. Hence the generic term 'coilovers'.

But not at the back. So you go from coilover front to coilovers all round. Hence the generic term 'coilovers'.

No you are wrong. The generic term coilovers refers to ANY spring which coils OVER the strut.

Aftermarket stuff uses the same mounting points as renault stuff and so they are not coilovers at the rear. Just as the williams is still a torsion bar set up at the rear.

I thought remote resovoirs were for keeping the oil cool, or at least at a steady temperature to maintain the same thermodynamic properties?

Quite how this comes into play on a road car I'm not sure. I doubt the resovoirs have anything to do with it. It just well damped.

But telling your mates all about it is worth the shame of driving a bright red car with grey wheels I guess. lol.

I agree, i have never heard of a raod car getting damper fade and being in need of a remote resevoir, particularly one as light as a clio. This is a gimmick.

Maybe on a forest rally car, but not on a road car, or even a track car. Not even the clio cup racers run a remote resevoir, because THERE IS NO NEED.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No you are wrong. The generic term coilovers refers to ANY spring which coils OVER the strut.

Aftermarket stuff uses the same mounting points as renault stuff and so they are not coilovers at the rear. Just as the williams is still a torsion bar set up at the rear.
AST and a few others do use a rear coilover.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As it was explained to me, the purpose of the reservoir design was nothing to do with heat dissipation. I've got an article from renaultsport somewhere, I'll try and find it.

VaVa

Some of them do. I agree with your point though. The term coilover has become a generic term for upgraded spring/dampers (usually ones which are adjustable) and is misinterpreted as a result.

AST and a few others do use a rear coilover.

They must have been the ones I've seen lol :eek:

VaVa
As it was explained to me, the purpose of the reservoir design was nothing to do with heat dissipation. I've got an article from renaultsport somewhere, I'll try and find it.

Dig it out if you can dude!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the remote reservoir also alows for a shorter strut without compromising suspension travel.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Dig it out if you can dude!
Roys got it, thicker piston rod, can't remember the benefit though. If you have a thicker rod, you either need a bigger shock or a remote reservoir to hold the required fluid.

VaVa
I'm 28 years old but lol'd @ "If you have a thicker rod, you either need a bigger shock or a remote reservoir to hold the required fluid." tbh :eek:

Yeah the thicker rod gives increased rigidity IIRC. Probably better turn-in as a result. I guess with normal suspension travel, the remaining space wouldn't normally be able to carry enough oil.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It all sounds a bit OTT to me. But then I'm not a racing driver and I'm not an Automotive engineer lol !
Think of it this way. Would Renault of spent the cash, developing the Trophy, throwing more expensive parts at it (Seats, Wheels, Dampers) for a max 550 sales? And would the motoring press have raved over a gimmick?

VaVa
Considerably firmer imho. Although the seats might have something to do with it too.

Think of it this way. Would Renault of spent the cash, developing the Trophy, throwing more expensive parts at it (Seats, Wheels, Dampers) for a max 550 sales? And would the motoring press have raved over a gimmick?

They were only going to get 500 sales whatever happened? Don't see your point tbh. And don't forget the 182 was already raved over by the press. They were bound to do cart wheels if they put some gimmick suspension on it.

They simply had to do something to set it apart from the other Clios... the seats, the wheels had all been done. So they picked a f**king awful colour and put some trick suspension on it.

I'm not saying it's not a good car - It obviously is.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Considerably firmer imho. Although the seats might have something to do with it too.

They were only going to get 500 sales whatever happened? Don't see your point tbh. And don't forget the 182 was already raved over by the press. They were bound to do cart wheels if they put some gimmick suspension on it.

They simply had to do something to set it apart from the other Clios... the seats, the wheels had all been done. So they picked a f**king awful colour and put some trick suspension on it.

I'm not saying it's not a good car - It obviously is.
My point is, why would they spend all that cash just to get 500 sales? If it were a gimmick, purely to get cash, they could of just stuck on ordinary coilovers, would of been a lot cheaper.
No offence to anyone, but I find it amazing that people that have never owned the car seem to think they know more than the worlds motoring press!

VaVa
My point is, why would they spend all that cash just to get 500 sales? If it were a gimmick, purely to get cash, they could of just stuck on ordinary coilovers, would of been a lot cheaper.
No offence to anyone, but I find it amazing that people that have never owned the car seem to think they know more than the worlds motoring press!

I never said it wasn't a fantastic car. It obvioulsy is. I just think the dampers are overkill. All that cash? They never spent that much. The answers in your post. They only made 500!

But why does my opinion have to echo the 'worlds' press? It doesn't. It's mine and I'm entitled to it. I've driven one, albeit not at great length.

I've seen nothing other than anecdotal evidence that the dampers provide any real world gains over a 182 Cup set up.