ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what is so special about the trophy setup?

The remote reservoirs allow for thicker and stronger strut for enhanced camber compliance as well as thermal stability. Are they gimicks? Autocar doesn't think so:

"......the Clio Trophy is a car with so much damping sophistication that it achieves the impossible. It rolls less than the Cup, has less suspension travel at the front, and yet it rides fully 30 per cent better than that car. To drive it fast over virtually disintegrating asphalt and feel just how well controlled each wheel is for bump and rebound is eye-opening......" http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Renault-Clio-2.0-Renaultsport-182-Trophy/216093/

If they were, you could argue that items like CUP suspension, ITG Maxogen induction kits, modified inlet manifolds, exhausts etc are gimicks too since they also have little if any "real world" gains over a standard setup so why waste your money?

Did they spend a lot creating the Trophy? Maybe, but much of the R&D for the dampers had already been done by Sachs. Renault certainly didn't make as much money with the Trophy as they did with the regular Clios. Are they overkill? Perhaps, but Renault had the task of creating the finest handling hot hatch as the last hurah for the Clio182 and I they have succeeded.

still haven't driven one but they're undeniably an interesting car - defo assured of future classic status and all that mumbo. would have thought RR dampers are comparatively impractical on a daily driver (rebuild costs; insurance claim costs if you bend one, etc) - but, as with the V6 and the R26.R, it's whatever you get in return that's made it over the practical issues - and there aren't many mainstream manufacturers who take the 'risks' Renault seems to with some models

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I never said it wasn't a fantastic car. It obvioulsy is. I just think the dampers are overkill. All that cash? They never spent that much. The answers in your post. They only made 500!

But why does my opinion have to echo the 'worlds' press? It doesn't. It's mine and I'm entitled to it. I've driven one, albeit not at great length.

I've seen nothing other than anecdotal evidence that the dampers provide any real world gains over a 182 Cup set up.
I've owned both. On a B-road, take an average corner, badly surfaced (the norm in the uk). You can carry 10mph more through a corner in the Trophy than you can in the 182cup. On track the difference is negligible, as the surface is smooth.
On the north wales run last year, I was running up front with the Focus ST (non-standard) and the dc5, and we were steadily pulling away from the 172/182 guys. And I'm far from a great driver!
Ask someone that works in the motor industry how much developing a new suspension set-up for a car costs, more than you think! My point is, they spread the development costs over only 550 cars, which isn't much!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
still haven't driven one but they're undeniably an interesting car - defo assured of future classic status and all that mumbo. would have thought RR dampers are comparatively impractical on a daily driver (rebuild costs; insurance claim costs if you bend one, etc) - but, as with the V6 and the R26.R, it's whatever you get in return that's made it over the practical issues - and there aren't many mainstream manufacturers who take the 'risks' Renault seems to with some models
Full rebuild of both front dampers is £300-400.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
A trophy is quite a bit firmer ride then a 'standard' 172.

No good for me then, after coming from the willy its nice to be comfortable!

I think the 'classic' status of the Trophy is a no show myself, its never gonna be remembered like a williams is - might get the 'cult' car status but its not a classic - its interesting thats all.

182 Trophy (#27/500)
I happen to think the numbers were limited to boost the residual values. If everyone has one they will drop like a stone (fords and vauxhalls). I love mine and anyone who rips them is.....................jealous!!ahahaha. See you at the finish line!!!lol

M2 Competition
Sorry I'll have to disagree with you there mate the Trophy rides the bumps and curbs far better than a standard 182.

I've taken my car on lots of trackdays and round the ring many times and it seems to be able to cope far better than a 182.

That's just my humble opinion of course.

LOL

:)

And you're still really slow!

Best bit of the trophy is the suspension.

Spend some money on a set of h&R's and get them properly set up for fast road and will be much of a muchness though (if tuning is your thing)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Do I hear a tad of 'I'm the best so ner ner' from Trophy owners on here? I thought that was only impreza owners that did the my cars faster speech ;)

I only cry when a mint willy drives past and i'm in my 172, I'd do the same if I was in a trophy though - should never have sold my williams! :(

i reckon the Trophy (and one or two others in the range) have got future classic written all over them - 20 years time, people will be looking back on contemporary vehicles, and there's little that compares. VW didn't get back in until the MkV, Peugeot haven't done anything remotely interesting since the 306, Honda (marmite), Ford will always have a following even if they do rust before everything else, and Vauxhalls will be somewhere at the bottom of the pile, as ever

forgot the Mini, but don't think it'll be remembered as kindly as it was thought of on release

Clio 182 Trophy
as title, please (briefly) explain what the differance is to compared to an 182cup?

all ino of is Recaros, the wheels and suspension setup. ..but could buying h&Rs and lighter wheels to put onto a 182cup end up being same if not better than a standard trophy?

..or is there more into y the trophy is quicker?

Hi mate. The main difference between the 182 cup and trophy is the suspension setup like you say. Your welcome to come and have a poke around mine and I will happily take you for a spin. I have made a few handling changes to mine which have improved the handling a bit more than the standard setup. I could show you what the Trophy is about instead taking advice from non Trophy owners.

It depends what you want from the car. I personally love blasting through the B roads and the really tight twisty stuff, this is where the Trophy will excell the 182 cup.
On a track there will not be much in it between a cup and trophy I would imagen, thats not what the Trophy is setup for. Im sure if you spend the time and money fitting and setting up coilovers for fast road/track use on a cup it would be quicker round a track. Show a track car a British B road and it will s**t its pants, the bump, rebound characteristics of the dampers wont be setup for it for starters.

The Trophy is at home in the Lakes, Come visit and I will show you !

Clio 182 Trophy
i think we have an answer now lol, this has gone on long enough lol.

trophy setup = great handling + a great quality ride

1*2 coilover upgrade = great handling + awesome mean stance

so its which ever counts personly, ride or stance..

END OF! lol.

How did you end up with that conclusion ! F**k sake I give up...

VaVa
I've owned both. On a B-road, take an average corner, badly surfaced (the norm in the uk). You can carry 10mph more through a corner in the Trophy than you can in the 182cup. On track the difference is negligible, as the surface is smooth.
On the north wales run last year, I was running up front with the Focus ST (non-standard) and the dc5, and we were steadily pulling away from the 172/182 guys. And I'm far from a great driver!
Ask someone that works in the motor industry how much developing a new suspension set-up for a car costs, more than you think! My point is, they spread the development costs over only 550 cars, which isn't much!

The development of the damper was done by Sachs. But I accept your opinion. I don't agree with it, but I accept it lol.

And I'm glad I don't live where you Trophy owners live. It's funny how the roads are conveniently s**tty becuase they're find where I live lol.. ;)

If presented with a cost free choice of either a set of coilovers or a set of Trophy dampers, I would say that the majority would take the Trophy dampers over a set of coilovers!!

At the end of the day its each to their own. Those who have the Trophy love them, those who don't b**ch about them.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
At the end of the day its each to their own. Those who have the Trophy love them, those who don't b**ch about them.

Spot on, I love everything about my trophy, really enjoying it at the moment:race:

But i have to admit i really was a doubter at first, even after i had been for a reasonable test drive, it's not until you've owned one for a while and really get to know the trophy that it shows it's true colours!

The remote reservoirs allow for thicker and stronger strut for enhanced camber compliance as well as thermal stability. Are they gimicks? Autocar doesn't think so:

"......the Clio Trophy is a car with so much damping sophistication that it achieves the impossible. It rolls less than the Cup, has less suspension travel at the front, and yet it rides fully 30 per cent better than that car. To drive it fast over virtually disintegrating asphalt and feel just how well controlled each wheel is for bump and rebound is eye-opening......" http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Renault-Clio-2.0-Renaultsport-182-Trophy/216093/

If they were, you could argue that items like CUP suspension, ITG Maxogen induction kits, modified inlet manifolds, exhausts etc are gimicks too since they also have little if any "real world" gains over a standard setup so why waste your money?

Did they spend a lot creating the Trophy? Maybe, but much of the R&D for the dampers had already been done by Sachs. Renault certainly didn't make as much money with the Trophy as they did with the regular Clios. Are they overkill? Perhaps, but Renault had the task of creating the finest handling hot hatch as the last hurah for the Clio182 and I they have succeeded.

This is the subjective opinion of a Journalist.

Not an objective technical analysis by a race engineer.

There is a difference.

If these dampers are so good, why did renault fit BILSTEINS to the cup race cars? Why did they fit BILSTEINS to the group a rally cars. Why did they fit BILSTEINS to the group n rally cars? Why did they fit BILSTEINS to the maxi?

This is the subjective opinion of a Journalist.

Do a search, there are journalists in numerous publications that are in agreement :butt:

Not an objective technical analysis by a race engineer.

There is a difference.

If these dampers are so good, why did renault fit BILSTEINS to the cup race cars? Why did they fit BILSTEINS to the group a rally cars. Why did they fit BILSTEINS to the group n rally cars? Why did they fit BILSTEINS to the maxi?

Well you've answered your own question!!! The Trophy is a *R O A D* car not a RACE car!!! :rolleyes:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
This is turning into a my rods bigger thans your rod thread.

Italian 3.2 V6
thing is, i am going to be taking more money out on my loan. i have two options.

1.spend money on tuning my current 172 (coilovers, alloys, remap etc etc etc)

or

2. spend a little money on getting 172 perfect, selling it and goin thru the faff and time of veiwing/testing trophys to make sure i buy a good one for under 7k and matching inlets n mapping it but thats it.

:S

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
thing is, i am going to be taking more money out on my loan. i have two options.

1.spend money on tuning my current 172 (coilovers, alloys etc etc etc)

or

2. spend a little money on getting 172 perfect, selling it and goin thru the faff and time of veiwing/testing trophys to make sure i buy a good one for under 7k

:S

I was in the same boat as you this time last year. I decide to keep and modify my 172 because it has been great mechanical, has a strong engine.

For me it and the end of the day the trophy wasn't worth the extra cash, and effort.

Italian 3.2 V6
yea im swaying towards option as as it would be so much easier and less faff, also like you said about yours, ino mines a good running one and is producing 177 bhp at the fly with only a stealth exhaust so its a gooden! :)

tis a hard desicion.

one thing i havent checke out is insurance, is there a big difference in what extra you would pay!?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
yea im swaying towards option as as it would be so much easier and less faff, also like you said about yours, ino mines a good running one and is producing 177 bhp at the fly with only a stealth exhaust so its a gooden! :)

tis a hard desicion.

one thing i havent checke out is insurance, is there a big difference in what extra you would pay!?

No much more for all of the mods mate, i guess being 27 helps.

Clio 182 Trophy
Id rather be 20 !

If you buy a Trophy you will probably end up modifying it anyways, I said the same thing. If your happy with your 172 id keep it mate, once you start modifying it you will get more pleasure out of it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've been down both paths. I'm enjoying the 172 more than the Trophy. Better seats/brakes/steering wheel. Suspension isn't there yet, but will be soon. I'd keep the 172 and spend some money on it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I happen to think the numbers were limited to boost the residual values. If everyone has one they will drop like a stone (fords and vauxhalls). I love mine and anyone who rips them is.....................jealous!!ahahaha. See you at the finish line!!!lol

Why would Renault care about residuals?

Clio 182 Trophy
Why do you ask ? The fact that its inverted or not doesnt really matter. Whats important is how the damper is made, how its valved, what spring it is matched to. then all that depends on what the damper is used for. all this is far more important than whether its inverted or not.

Is the sach damper inverted? Why do i have to keep asking this question to be ignored?

Inverted or not?

Sorry didn't realised you were asking me personally. The answer is no.

6.jpg

Clio 182 Trophy
Why would Renault care about residuals?

I have to agree. The Sachs dampers were on offer, buy one get one free. They only had 1100 in stock ! thats why it was a limited run . . .

Clio 182 Trophy
Sorry didn't realised you were asking me personally. The answer is no.

6.jpg

please tell me they were taken when the car was almost new ! Ive had mine refurbed and re sprayed and they dont look that good :cool: