ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy a no no

Astra VXR 17/05/07

RS-Steve and others who have bothered to see this wasnt a sl*gging off thread !

Thanks for that post,it is appreciated :)

Im not going to post anymore on this thread.I opened up a thread to talk about my my opinions and a decision i made about a Trophy i went to see and it just turns all negative from people who struggle to respect peoples opinions,Gilbert_Rachets last comment highlights this.

This is from a guy who feels the need for a negative comment about a Trophy thread but starts threads asking is Kerry Catona fit or not or if Pink Polo shirts should be worn up and down or not :D WTF !!!

Anyway,thats me done on this thread :)

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 08 July 2005

i dont doubt for one min that it is faster than any other clio round a track
Hello? Read the review again. It is clearly faster on standard roads too. Something that marks it out from any other hot-hatch.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Its a great car. There are other great cars, but you cant buy them anymore. This is a great car that you can actually buy. 172 Cup - cant buy it, ditto 172 Mk1.

Trophy/182/182 Cup is the only game in town for the new buyers now, so no point whatsoever bringing other cars into it.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 08 July 2005

I disagree, the cup offered some real changes over the 172 which had been around for a while before the cup came, the new alloys, half a second off your 1/4 mile and a luuurvley colour. The trophy offers 182 owners a pair of seats. Ive said it before and Ill say it now, you would have to be mental to swap a 182 for the trophy, its a gimmick
PMSL... Have you actually looked at the specs of the car?

Am pleasantly suprised that none of the expert moderators given a Trophy or acquired it through Friends and Family have not joined in this thread (yet)!

Anyway, the Trophy is the height of hot hatchdom. Its the culmination of years of RenaultSport experience. Hats of for the provision of such a focused example and a fitting end to the 172/182 legacy. Kinda reminds me of the Focus RS.

If money was no object I would swap a 182 for it but can understand other people moaning about the loss of xenons, cruise control e.t.c. What I cannot accept is Renault being accused of ripping off people with the Trophy through a marketing exercise.

Instead, RenaultSport should be applauded for churning out such a car & no one is being forced to buy it - because the Trophy sells itself...:devilish:

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by tin69 on 09 July 2005

What I cannot accept is Renault being accused of ripping off people with the Trophy through a marketing exercise.

Instead, RenaultSport should be applauded for churning out such a car & no one is being forced to buy it - because the Trophy sells itself...:devilish:
I agree with the second statement there, but there is a slight element of truth about the first one too

I also would swap my Cup for a Trophy if i could though, like a shot, i think its fantastic

Its the derogatory remarks about anthracite turinis that p**sed me off "I dislike them with a passion" sounds a bit high and mighty for my liking. But hold on they look good on the trophy....just sounds like it was aimed at cup owners and is coming from someone who feels theres a ranking system on here.

dk

911 GTS Cab

well i agree with funky for a change, I am in the same position and have made the same decision.

A lot fo the 182 > Trophy buyers are F+F people who will lose less money in the changeover, they paid less for their 182 and thus lost less and are buying the trophy for less so its more economical for them to make the change.

I would lose too may 000s of pounds so I will wait the extra year and get the new RS.

and to the 106GTi dude from page 1, if he is so into his stripped out rally cars, why hasnt he got the more focussed 106 Rallye? I used to have a 106GTi and it was a good car for a young driver wanting a fast car but the RS models are a step up the ladder when it comes to the standard performance hot hatch.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Gilbert_Ratchet on 09 July 2005
Its the derogatory remarks about anthracite turinis that p**sed me off "I dislike them with a passion" sounds a bit high and mighty for my liking. But hold on they look good on the trophy....just sounds like it was aimed at cup owners and is coming from someone who feels theres a ranking system on here.

i dont see his remarks are derrogatory at all, it was his opinion and one I can say I agree with!

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by RS-Steve on 08 July 2005

STOP!!!!!!

Can we all please come back to reality!!! the clio (106GTi) are not SERIOUS PERFORMANCE CARS!!! yes they are all nippy little things that is what they are

As for the thread argument i feel sorry for Funkyjahooner. he has an opinion and everybody jumps on it!! Unfortunately this has become the way on this site. Unless your opinion is one of the fact the clio parts bin specials are the best thing ever you are the biggest tw*t in the world!!!!

I thought it was a well written and well balanced review myself and made a refreshing change from all the extra power from 1.2 and 0-60 threads

Sorry my bit said im sure ill be flamed for it!!!
steve thats the second negative comment on 172/182s. ive read your comment about how in 30yrs people like us wont be looking back at our clios as they are not super cars etc.. yet what you seem to forget is that its all about perspective.. sure a bugatti veyron may have 1000hp and pee all over a 182 but the point is not out right performance but FUN.

it has been claimed that the 182 trophy will keep with porches (which model ? maybe the boxster) on winding roads. and i know for a fact i have kept simular corneing speed and directional changes with an STI in my 172MKII (konis + eibach). the trophy is even better and we should be prasing that someone at reno has thought about the Sach Dampers in steasd of just bunging 30-40mm lowering springs and a big v6 spoiler like you expect from a company like peugeot.

on corners a well driven 182 or 182 trophy will keep pace with just about anything due to is exellent chasis and light weight + great low profile tyres and N/A power. I would have thought a 182 with a full properly setup coilover kit would piss over most things on the twisties. a quick example is a nice 80% bend turn off up a hill where i live i can safely take with the car flat at 60mph ! not a cherp just goes and thats in a 172 how fast do you need ?

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Gilbert,i feel i have to reply to this post because you are way off track.

Saying i dislike something with a passion is not derogartory whichever way you look at it and i fail to see how you think it is ?? It wasnt abusive,and as far as i am concerned,disliking something has never made me high and mighty or anyone for that case.

You have stated my comments were aimed at Cup owners,yet i never even mentioned Cups ??? :confused:

Search my posts as much as you like,i have never had a go at cup owners,something you think im doing ??

I dont like 182 wheels in anthracite,the trophy alloys in anthracite look good.They are a different style allloy and im entitled to form an opinion on them.Just because i like the Trophy alloys but dislike 182 anthracite alloys doesnt mean im all high and mighty looking down on cup owners,it beats me how you can even begin to think that ?

I have said many positve things about the Trophy,even to the point of saying id buy one.The negative things were simply my opinion of things i didnt like,im not going to apologise to you or anyone for not liking something.

My original post was simply my opinions and my decision when comparing a 182 to a Trophy,its as simple as that.If you dont like my opinion or disagree with it then thats up to you,but please...dont accuse me of starting a thread looking down on cup owners or of thinking there is a ranking system on here.Anyone who thinks there is a ranking system on a website because of car ownership is shallow in my book.

I have regularly posted positive comments on these forums on posts from people with all forms of Clios,looking down on someone elses car is something id never do or ever have done on this forum.

When you said "cup wheels in anthracite" where you refering to "cup" turinis or "182" cup pack wheels?

Cup wheels in anthracite have been painted that color by the owner of the cup so it sounded like you where saying you hate them with a passion but they look good on the trophy. Ive only seen pictures of the trophy and the wheels look the bloody same. Seemed like you had a problem with anthracite turinis unless they where on a trophy.

Sorry if i wrongly accused you.

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by richy on 08 July 2005

he wrote a review in his opinion, so what, he didnt go slating it saying its worst car ever etc did he, everyone is entitled to there own opinion , no need to jump on them for that is there!
exactly, i cant believe some of the comments in this thread, most are taking every little thing he has said completely out of context

MINI JCW

I applaud Renault for making the Trophy, but the 182 cup should never have been made, IMO it is just a marketing gimmick

If you want a 182 and want luxury go fo the 182 with cup bits

If you want sharper handling, slighlty better ride and slighlty better performance get the trophy.

The only reason i can see anyone buying a 182 cup is if they cant afford the other two

GW Clio 200

I have just been to see my Trophy and I have to say its an absaloute beauty of a car. My workmates came with me and were blown away, quotes of: "It looks nothing like the car in the AutoCar mag".. which I totally agree with. "It looks proper sporty....I love it mate", from our apprentice.

I cant wait to pick the car up next week, just a few more days and its all mine!!! :D

Oh and sorry for interupting this futile argument!!:confused:

Astra VXR 17/05/07

When you said "cup wheels in anthracite" where you refering to "cup" turinis or "182" cup pack wheels?

Apologies if i confused you.When i said i dislike cup wheels,i was referring to 182 wheels in anthracite.I prefer standard alloys as opposed to cup pack wheels in anthracite.

As far as Turinis go,i like original cup ones a lot and was suprised to find i like the anthracite turinis that come with the Trophy.

Im not a big fan of anthracite wheels at all,but i like the Trophys wheels.

I hope this clears up you thinking i was having a go at Cups !!!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 09 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by RS-Steve on 08 July 2005

STOP!!!!!!

Can we all please come back to reality!!! the clio (106GTi) are not SERIOUS PERFORMANCE CARS!!! yes they are all nippy little things that is what they are

As for the thread argument i feel sorry for Funkyjahooner. he has an opinion and everybody jumps on it!! Unfortunately this has become the way on this site. Unless your opinion is one of the fact the clio parts bin specials are the best thing ever you are the biggest tw*t in the world!!!!

I thought it was a well written and well balanced review myself and made a refreshing change from all the extra power from 1.2 and 0-60 threads

Sorry my bit said im sure ill be flamed for it!!!
steve thats the second negative comment on 172/182s. ive read your comment about how in 30yrs people like us wont be looking back at our clios as they are not super cars etc.. yet what you seem to forget is that its all about perspective.. sure a bugatti veyron may have 1000hp and pee all over a 182 but the point is not out right performance but FUN.

it has been claimed that the 182 trophy will keep with porches (which model ? maybe the boxster) on winding roads. and i know for a fact i have kept simular corneing speed and directional changes with an STI in my 172MKII (konis + eibach). the trophy is even better and we should be prasing that someone at reno has thought about the Sach Dampers in steasd of just bunging 30-40mm lowering springs and a big v6 spoiler like you expect from a company like peugeot.

on corners a well driven 182 or 182 trophy will keep pace with just about anything due to is exellent chasis and light weight + great low profile tyres and N/A power. I would have thought a 182 with a full properly setup coilover kit would piss over most things on the twisties. a quick example is a nice 80% bend turn off up a hill where i live i can safely take with the car flat at 60mph ! not a cherp just goes and thats in a 172 how fast do you need ?

i have both a FRS and a clio 172 with modded suspension so yes i feel i can comment on the clios!!!!! And no a clio wont keep up with just about everything ion the twisties as people on here put it!!!! And yes io do know as many of the people i work with have evos subarus or porsches etc and we do play!!!

great weather were having for driving isnt it guys! :)

doesnt do for us all to be the same eh!

Its ALL down to the driver.....what he thinks, what he buys, how he drives it, whether he lives. But Ill say one thing! Beats trainspotting!

This will all mean nothing once the next best ever Clio is released, or the next 10 best ever Clios after that.

Renault are taking the piss, and lining their pockets with minimal changes with each incarnation on the Clio, 10 out of 10 for Renault marketing skills!

Renaultsport Clio 182

Renault are defiantely lining their pockets, went to look at a Trophy yesterday, number 81.

Talked about trade in value for my 54plate full fat, mint condition 182 with all optional extras with 15K on the clock. To get the Trophy I would have to add another £7000!!!!

Really did take the Michael when they had an 02plate Mk2 172 on the forecourt for £9,500 with 45K on the clock.

I was gutted to know that my Clio is now in Renaults eyes only worth half what I paid for it.

My son has just ordered a Trophy. He has been running a 1988 5GT that I renovated, for a couple of years now.

I have no doubt that the Trophy will be a great car and top value compared to the competition.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by coope182 on 10 July 2005
Renault are defiantely lining their pockets, went to look at a Trophy yesterday, number 81.

Talked about trade in value for my 54plate full fat, mint condition 182 with all optional extras with 15K on the clock. To get the Trophy I would have to add another £7000!!!!

Really did take the Michael when they had an 02plate Mk2 172 on the forecourt for £9,500 with 45K on the clock.

I was gutted to know that my Clio is now in Renaults eyes only worth half what I paid for it.

Try another dealer... Im sure you could get £10,500 to £11,000 at least. If you want something try other places, car dealers love to do deals...and there is more than one willing to give you the deal you want.

Unfortunately cars do depreciate, but cars like the 172 182 etc are not bought as an investment. They are bought because people love there nippy sporty performance and looks. If you want to save money, buy a nearly new in a Private sale. That way the depreciation is lost on the first owner... but that first owner sometimes can be you!!