ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy a no no

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I went to look at a Trophy today at my local dealers to see first hand what they are like.My visit was to see what it looks like in the flesh,i have a 182 at present and from what i have heard and read it handles much better and i have no problems with my 182s handling so i went bearing in mind its better in that department and if im allready happy then i was onto a winner before going.Handling was not a consideration so for me its down to looks...

Things i liked...

The colour,if that was available when i got mine it would of been a heartbreaker if i went for that or Arctic Blue.It suits the colour.

Its alloys,this suprised me because i dislike the cup alloys in anthracite with a passion,i liked the look of the trophy alloys and could certainly live with them,unlike the cup alloys.

The front seats,simply awsome.They look fantastic and after a little sit in the front they certainly felt good as well.These seats really enhance the car.

The rear spoiler,looks great.

Things i didnt like

The loss of equipment compared to my 182.One of the attractions when buying mine was its spec.Its not the end of the world living without xenons,climate and auto functions but it defeats the object of why i went for my 182.Not having them then losing them might bug me.

The rear seats :sick: Simply ghastly.They spoil the car as much as the front seats enhance it.They must be the cheapest looking rear seats i have seen for years,its a shame they are fitted.

I went with an open mind and am in a position financially to take a loss on my 182 and get a trophy if i really really wanted one.As i said,the handling is not really an issue because i have no problems with my 182 as it is.

I wont be getting one after seeing one.It has many plus points,limited and some of the other things i mentioned but i cant honestly say i want one that bad.My 182 is a fantastic car and the trophy doesnt have enough for me to want one,if i were buying now or used mine on the track id have one in a flash.But to swap a 182 for one one,its just not worth it for me.

At least i took the time to consider one and have a viewing.I wont be kicking myself now when i see them out and about.Chuffed to bits for anyone who owns one because its a cracking car and i hope you enjoy yours as much as im enjoying my 182 :D

MINI JCW

Same here mate, If I had the choice again then i would buy a full fat 182 with both cup packs, i would much rather have the extra toys and half leather seats, as i get nowhere near the 182s full potential on handling, the improvement just wouldnt matter to me

Would take the trophy over the cup though

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 08 July 2005

Its alloys,this suprised me because i dislike the cup alloys in anthracite with a passion,i liked the look of the trophy alloys and could certainly live with them,unlike the cup alloys.

Oh my god any need? The cup alloys in anthracite look awesome and well better than the 182 alloys.

GW Clio 200

Obviously when making points of this nature it is very hard to not be bias, even though you try not to be.

The only toys I will lose when going from my 182 to the Trophy, will be Xenons..if they can be classed as a toy, which IMHO are not in the "toys" dept. You lose CC but you get Air Con, which some people prefer. So again no loss there. You mention the seats in the back... I dont sit in the back;) and dont ever intend too!!

The colour is obviously not the choice of some but then thats just down to individual tastes which cannot be accounted for.... after owning a the Black 182, I can safely say I will never buy a Black car again. Love the colour when its clean but...blah blah blah we all know the rest.

The thing that made me go over was its exclusivity, I like the fact that I will not see many if any other Trophies on the road. I loved the colour in the flesh, and the recaros are what this type of car has been crying out for. I like the larger rear spoliler and the Anthracite Turinis. The drive was fantastic, but no change there as the 182 is already a great car to drive.

I do understand were you are coming from though Funk and respect your thoughts and opinions.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Cheers :)

Its not a dig at the Trophy at all.Its simply my opinion.I can easily see why they will be snapped up and again i can see why people will swap their 182s for one.Its a fantastic car,theres no doubting that at all.

Its easy sometimes to raise opinions on how something looks from magazines and tinternet.The best thing is to go have a peek and then decide.Id snap one up myself if i was buying right now.What the Trophy gains in some quarters against a normal 182,it loses in others,all in respect of my opinion and tastes.

One thing the Trophy does confirm though is that the 182 is a fantstic hot hatch in whichever form it takes.

With the full fat,cup and now exclusive Trophy versions there is something there for everybody interested in this cracker of a car :D

So did you actually drive it?

What were your thoughts?

I really liked how it handled, massive improvement over the 182 suspension.

wtf the whole point of the trophy is to be lightweight, you obviously arent into your performance enough as if you were youd realise creature comforts are not what you will get in a serious performance car

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I own a 182 and love it to bits.I cant be arsed getting into a war of words simply because i have an opinion on the Trophy and am deciding not to trade in my 182 for one.

Steve 106Gti,you can have creature comforts in a serious performance car...its called the 182 which i own and am therefore into.

Saying " creature comforts are not what you will get in a serious performance car " is nonsense.The 182 makes your comment look nonsense.

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 08 July 2005
I own a 182 and love it to bits.I cant be arsed getting into a war of words simply because i have an opinion on the Trophy and am deciding not to trade in my 182 for one.Steve 106Gti,you can have creature comforts in a serious performance car...its called the 182 which i own and am therefore into.

also zonda, db9, slr etc etc etc

Its fun watching 182 owners bite over the Trophy.

It was the same when Renault released the 172 Cup.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Steve,

Read my initial post.....i accept the Trophy handles better than a normal 182,everybody knows that :confused:

How can accpeting that be biting :confused:

I have said some positive stuff about the Trophy,i accept it handles better and is slightly quicker :confused:

I simply cant justify changing my 182 for one,thats all :confused:

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Quote: Originally posted by Steve106GTI on 08 July 2005
wtf the whole point of the trophy is to be lightweight, you obviously arent into your performance enough as if you were youd realise creature comforts are not what you will get in a serious performance car

I can see your point there but even if you was in a full fat race spec car, you would still want to be in a comfortable position. But everytime you look in the back all you see is these horrid seats.
Ive had my 172(full fat) about a year now&although i compare it alot to a mates cup- mine would come out top any day of the week.
Its 10times more comfortable, air con for the summer comes in handy and not to mention the abs,traction control, nice seats.
Ok they made the cup so that it could be lighter&better performance.
In my opinion the difference from a cup to mine isnt enough to make me wish id chose that instead.

you cant go and look at something like a trophy which is designed more towards the track scene and expect it to have air con etc, then mark it down because it doesnt have this kind of thing

GW Clio 200

I think the very fact he owns a 182 shows he is into his performance, I think he just enjoys having the other things aswell. What he said does not at all suggest he does not like the performance side of his car!!

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Why go for the slimmed down version when you can have all the extras for a bit more money. ;)

Astra VXR 17/05/07

you cant go and look at something like a trophy which is designed more towards the track scene and expect it to have air con etc, then mark it down because it doesnt have this kind of thing

I knew the equipment spec before going comapred to my 182,but i have not seen one in the flesh.The colour the seats,its alloys and a few other bits and bobs.Im not marking it down,i was weighing up the pros and cons of swapping from my 182 to one :confused: I simply wanted to see one as opposed to pictures.Then decide if i wanted to change or not.

I then posted my opinion,if you dont like my opinion then tough.Its sad that someones opinion bothers you so much :sick:

Just buy the suspension when yours dies, thats the plan with my 172 best of both worlds then.

The fact is most cant drive at the std cars limit be it 172/182/cup etc etc so the even if its 2 sec a mile quicker most would never know.

I agree with you that its not a significant enough jump to justify the potential change of car losses, although i would love one.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 08 July 2005
172 versus 172 cup all over again :p

I disagree, the cup offered some real changes over the 172 which had been around for a while before the cup came, the new alloys, half a second off your 1/4 mile and a luuurvley colour. The trophy offers 182 owners a pair of seats. Ive said it before and Ill say it now, you would have to be mental to swap a 182 for the trophy, its a gimmick

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 08 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 08 July 2005

172 versus 172 cup all over again :p

I disagree, the cup offered some real changes over the 172 which had been around for a while before the cup came, the new alloys, half a second off your 1/4 mile and a luuurvley colour. The trophy offers 182 owners a pair of seats. Ive said it before and Ill say it now, you would have to be mental to swap a 182 for the trophy, its a gimmick

you disagree to what !!!!, i meant the argument not the car

without having a go at you funky, i think you are missing the point of the trophy...

i think the idea is that a lot of people who are attracted to this car will take the back seats out, as you cant fit anyone in the back...

;-)

/y0z

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Thats one of the reasons why i wont go for one Yoz,i wouldnt benefit from it.:oops: It was still nice to have a good look at one though :D

As i said id have one in a flash if i were to use one on the track but its not something im into so cant justify the swap.Id still snap one up if i were buying now though,even if i had no intention of taking the back seats out :cool:

MINI JCW

the 182 is not as focussed as the trophy and the 172 clio cup is faster than the 182
There is nothing in it between the full fat 182 and the cup,

Autocar

182 full fat 0-100 17.0

172 cup 0-100 16.9

Evo

182 full fat 0-100 17.5

172 cup 0-100 17.7

Get your facts right

MINI JCW

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 08 July 2005

Its fun watching 182 owners bite over the Trophy.

It was the same when Renault released the 172 Cup.

no one has bit, the lad just said his opinion, its a fact some people will prefer more creature comforts and some the sharper handling thats why Renaultsport make both cars

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 08 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Steve106GTI on 08 July 2005<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">the 182 is not as focussed as the trophy and the 172 clio cup is faster than the 182[/QUOTE]There is nothing in it between the full fat 182 and the cup, Autocar182 full fat 0-100 17.0172 cup 0-100 16.9Evo182 full fat 0-100 17.5172 cup 0-100 17.7Get your facts right

Beat me to it! If anything the fastest is the 182 Cup or the mk1 172

MINI JCW

to be honest there is hardly anything in it between any of the 172/182 variants.

If you are behind one on the road then the difference will be so small you wont be able to overtake

Mini Cooper S sport

I can see where Funkyjahooners coming from; hes not saying it isnt a great car, hes just saying it isnt for him.

I think the Trophy looks fantastic, and I am sure its an amazing drive, but I dont think my driving would do it justice. The normal 182 is good enough for me - I already notice the difference on the suspension from my 172, and I love it! I like the same things about the Trophy as Funky; the alloys, spoiler, colour and Recaros.

Im perfectly happy with my 182 and I love the colour, the handling, interior and xenons, and wouldnt change it for a Trophy even if I could do it for no extra money :)

GW Clio 200

Yeah, I dont feel there is any need to let these types of threads spiral into the rediculous... people have opinions and are intitled to them. Afterall thats what makes a forum what it is!!

hey i went from a 172 cup, too a 182, and i would have also then gone to a trophy too, enjoy your trophy mate and feck what everyone else thinks

Havent you read Autocars review?

The point of the Trophy is the suspension. Not only does it handle better than any previous Clio variant it handles bumps and poor road surfaces like no other car. With the state of British roads that is a very big selling point.

All the 172/Cup/182s are a handful on the average British B road, requiring a firm grip on the wheel at all times.

Seems to me the Trophy is the best Clio ever, sod the meaningless toys. Congrats to those who have one on order. I hope to get a go in one, one day.

MINI JCW

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 08 July 2005

Havent you read Autocars review?

The point of the Trophy is the suspension. Not only does it handle better than any previous Clio variant it handles bumps and poor road surfaces like no other car. With the state of British roads that is a very big selling point.

All the 172/Cup/182s are a handful on the average British B road, requiring a firm grip on the wheel at all times.

Seems to me the Trophy is the best Clio ever, sod the meaningless toys. Congrats to those who have one on order. I hope to get a go in one, one day.
We know it handles and rides better, but its not for everyone, id rather have the toys and the nice back seats, thats not saying its a bad car i would rather have the 182 with cup packs, i dont doubt for one min that it is faster than any other clio round a track

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 08 July 2005

To say the point of the Trophy is the suspension is a bit insulting towards the car IMO :sick:

So the fact its limited to 500,each one being individually numbered,its unique colour,the Recaro seats and its Trophy alloys mean nothing ??? They must do if you are claiming the point of a Trophy is its suspension....

There is a lot more to this car than its suspension which prompted me to go see one.

As for your last comment saying B roads are a handfull for all 172s/Cups and 182s.I disagree with that,based on the fact i live out in the sticks and most of my driving in my 182 is on B roads,driving the car in such a way it was designed for.I wouldnt say it was a handfull at all :confused:

Every man and his bag of quavers knows it handles better than a normal 182,but not everybody will take them on the track,not everybody will drive them like a pro.Some people might just be interested for its other standard features which i have mentioned.Its an alternative to a normal 182.I could never drive a Trophy to its limits,im not ashamed of that,but it still appealed to me for plenty of other reasons and i gave it some thought.I doubt im not the only one attracted to it because its exclusive,limited,in a unique colour with tidy alloys and amazing Racaros AS WELL AS having superb suspension.

I have simply decided not to change from my 182 to a Trophy,thats the bottom line as far as i am concerned.

Oh and in case you missed it,i did say if i were buying now id have one :)

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

STOP!!!!!!

Can we all please come back to reality!!! the clio (106GTi) are not SERIOUS PERFORMANCE CARS!!! yes they are all nippy little things that is what they are

As for the thread argument i feel sorry for Funkyjahooner. he has an opinion and everybody jumps on it!! Unfortunately this has become the way on this site. Unless your opinion is one of the fact the clio parts bin specials are the best thing ever you are the biggest tw*t in the world!!!!

I thought it was a well written and well balanced review myself and made a refreshing change from all the extra power from 1.2 and 0-60 threads

Sorry my bit said im sure ill be flamed for it!!!

he wrote a review in his opinion, so what, he didnt go slating it saying its worst car ever etc did he, everyone is entitled to there own opinion , no need to jump on them for that is there!