ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 master cylinder. 197 upgrade?

Greg.w

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Evening all,

Cars nearly ready for its first track day but still having issues getting a good pedal feel on the brakes. Had a look and the servo/booster looks a little tatty so want to get that cleaned/painted/checked for holes etc.

While I was there I'm pretty sure the seal between the master cylinder and reservoir is weeping. So that leads me to look at the master cylinder now.

So I've got a 2004 182 FF. Anyone know what master cylinder it will have without me having to look? I've seen there are Ate, bosch, maybe another brand too? Do all 182s have the same one?

Then following that, does the 197 master cylinder fit the 182 with no issues? I know I need to fit the 182 reservoir but is that it? And is it considered an upgrade? I'm on standard brakes.

Thanks all!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
The seals from the reservoir to the master cylinder are available separately, part number is 77 01 041 223.
Bosch is the OEM for the 1*2 master cylinder

You don't really want to think of the 197 master cylinder as an upgrade, more of something that will change the pedal feel as it's designed around the size of the surface area of the 4 pistons inside the 197 caliper and it's some complicated maths from that which will determine how the pedal feels. You might like the difference or you might hate it

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'd imagine the ratio on the 197 m/c is different for the brembo's.
Worth it for feel if you're running the aforementioned but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Greg.w

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
It was more the fact that the 2nd hand ones are newer and more plentiful if that makes sense.

182 ones are meant to be hard to get and pretty expensive. I've seen really good condition 197 ones for as little as £30 or £40 on ebay. Look brand new as well

Greg.w

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
The seals from the reservoir to the master cylinder are available separately, part number is 77 01 041 223.
Bosch is the OEM for the 1*2 master cylinder

You don't really want to think of the 197 master cylinder as an upgrade, more of something that will change the pedal feel as it's designed around the size of the surface area of the 4 pistons inside the 197 caliper and it's some complicated maths from that which will determine how the pedal feels. You might like the difference or you might hate it
Thanks for the part number, assuming I will need 2 of these? How does the reservoir come off? Press fit or bolted?

Thanks

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Thanks for the part number, assuming I will need 2 of these? How does the reservoir come off? Press fit or bolted?

Thanks
Yes you'll need 2 of them and the reservoir is just a push fit - it is a bit of a t**t to get off, especially if you've got big hands so just persevere with it

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Did I read somewhere that a MK1 Laguna with 23.8mm bore with 4 port is also a decent upgrade if looking to run non-ABS?