ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Yesterday finally completed a post race check of the Cup, found all fluids\oils to be at the same levels as at the start of the race. All the nuts, hubs etc all tight, bearings with no movement, everything as it should be. Took the pads out and they are all in good condition, fronts, EBC yellow 80%, rears are still the EBC Reds I put in March 2011 50%. Will carry a full set of EBC Yellows from now on should I need any replacements on the day. Disks still have plenty of life left too (all new March 2011).

Moved onto the damage - drilled of the rivets holding the sill trim on - then noticed that I needn't have bought another as it would look OK with out. Damage there is just contained to a deformed sill and the floor pan is OK. Will just get it all pulled out to a reasonable standard.
Moved onto the door, the door hinges will require some re work as they have been punted in and up a bit (is reworking these even possible?). Guess if I was to do the work I'd just hammer from the inside and maybe a bit on the hinges to get level again. Door - got a new one.

Drivers wheel - fair bit of scoring - will get this on mates balancing machine to see if it's still straight - seems to be. Rub down and a spot of black paint.

Before the impact the steering wheel was off to the right a bit whilst driving straight and after the impact noticed when Sam was going straight the yellow steering wheel marker was also straight - so wasn't surprised to find this;

2012-05-19-081.jpg

Track rod and end a bit bent.

Looking around the internet, Eurocarparts for one, track rod and end seem to be around the £20 - £25 mark. Cheaper I suspect than OEM but up to the job?

Should I be looking for any other steering damage? Will get it all tracked etc after the new rod + end fitted.

Last edited:
  172 Race Car
Id be sticking with OE one mate, not sure what the non gen stuff is like. Renault ones arent that expensive iirc.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
non genuine track rods are a touch shorter, but there's plenty of thread still used, and there's nothing wrong with quality
Genuine are £53.51 each

Settled up with garage, sort of a mate, bit of taken aback really
He,
Pulled the sill out, quite a bit of a job as creased to France and back.
Hung new door so gap was same all round, knocked hinges out as both out of true.
Checked wheel over for true etc
Fitted new track rod, track rod end and bottom ball joint.
Painted sill (just blue no colour match, bothered...no)
Refitted sill trim.

All for £80....

so gave him £120 (all I had on me), still bit to cheap. Said to get his Astra VXR sorted and I'd take him to Bedford too to say thanks...

Clio 172
Settled up with garage, sort of a mate, bit of taken aback really
He,
Pulled the sill out, quite a bit of a job as creased to France and back.
Hung new door so gap was same all round, knocked hinges out as both out of true.
Checked wheel over for true etc
Fitted new track rod, track rod end and bottom ball joint.
Painted sill (just blue no colour match, bothered...no)
Refitted sill trim.

All for £80....

so gave him £120 (all I had on me), still bit to cheap. Said to get his Astra VXR sorted and I'd take him to Bedford too to say thanks...

If proper mates can't sort you out who can? Nice to see the car looking back to its former glory you wouldn't know what had happened to it.

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Car is looking good again.

Nice to see that you got it sorted quickly and for not a lot of cash.

If proper mates can't sort you out who can? Nice to see the car looking back to its former glory you wouldn't know what had happened to it.

Yes, it's not been as bad as I thought getting it all sorted...

Spot on Pete.

That's what mates are for.

Talking of which, what's the gears for Mallory :)? Going on the 23rd June.

what he said,
thats a really good price that mate..... happy days

Hopefully that's the first and last for a bit.....

Car is looking good again.

Nice to see that you got it sorted quickly and for not a lot of cash.

Cheers... just dropped it off, this afternoon, at Diamond Motors for Mick to sort out the dodge wiring so hopefully come next week or so should all be sorted.

Off to Silverstone tomorrow to watch the next round and see the Burpspeed team and crew... , it'll be a hot one that's for sure.

172 Race Car
Talking of which, what's the gears for Mallory :)? Going on the 23rd June.
2nd for hairpin, 4th everywhere else. Devils elbow 3rd/4th depending. If using 4th its a short shift but car has more traction then, its very bumpy/cambered and can spin wheels in 3rd. Try both

Impulse buy number 1199, Aim Solo DL - got offered £60 off with free postage....arrived just before I came down to sunny Exeter, had a play looks the part - hopefully it'll capture the ecu data as it says - car's at Micks (Diamond motors) so not tried it for real yet.

I know Jay - far more important stuff to spend money on - it looks good though.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The car is still intact Pete (ish) but it does look amazing. Needs a Dash2 plumbing in also to complete the filthy track **** image.

I bet it drives sublimely around track to. I'm actually a little turned on just thinking about it (#worried)

Mick
Diamond Motors

The car is still intact Pete (ish) but it does look amazing. Needs a Dash2 plumbing in also to complete the filthy track **** image.

I bet it drives sublimely around track to. I'm actually a little turned on just thinking about it (#worried)

Mick
Diamond Motors

Sam(wife) 58.3 round Brands Indy (our first race) the other week (me 57.5)...it drives\handles amazingly TBH (with no real effort if you know what I mean).....not everyones purist view though, but then they don't race....

Thanks for the nice comments Mick, appreciated.

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Mick
Diamond Motors

Working on Dash2 (and others) support with Canems at the moment, so it's something I think would really set the car off, and have it ready for the next step once power starts to become a limiting factor (next year at least)

The most exciting thing to happen to me so far this week - today, whilst dunking a Foxes chocolate cream in my coffee, it went all mushy and went every where on the way to my gob....text book, white t-shirt, desk\keyboard covered with what looks like cat fur ball.....I'm on an Exchange 2010 course - gripping stuff...!

Going to have to re-evaluate the dunking time I use for foxes biscuits now, thought the borbon time would've been ok. Turns out that the foxes are a bit softer out of the packet than bourbons, so time in coffee needs to be less.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Hob nobs... that's what you want. They are the marines of the biscuit dunking world! (gotta love Peter Kay)

Picking the Cup up from Micks at Diamond Motors on Monday, after checking all the components\wiring out cleaning connectors\pedal, could find no lack of connectivity or faulty parts - TB, pedal etc all OK. Sounds good but could mean that there is a very small break\chafe some where that won't show on a conductivity check - and won't be found unless each wire is parted from the loom and visually checked.

The fault hasn't re-occurred since so some of the disruption to the connectors\Tb\pedal may have removed what ever was causing the issue.

Going to carry another pedal, maybe a TB, to swap out should the need be on the day.

Long term, if it continues will have to look at just replacing the part of the loom from Pedal to ecu, not such an expensive job, as Renault already produce a replacement pedal loom that can be spliced in near the ecu.

Now looking for a track day early June to see if the same fault reappears - don't want to waste our Mallory day at end of June if we keep getting electical problems, rather try and sort before.

That's an odd one Pete :( I hope it doesn't re-occur!

I've got a pedal you can have FOC when I next see you but unfortunately sold my TB a few months back

I'm sure you'll be able to find a trackday and get sorted! Fingers crossed :)

I saw that on Jay's update this morning - just got an issue at work - just me an one other left in work on that day. Doubtfull I'll get the day off, also Sam's tied up that day too. Pity it's the double bank hol week.

In preparation for Mallory on the 23rd, giving the Cup a once over this weekend. Spanner\fluid check - would've fitted the Aim Lap timer I bought but amongst other things found that it was incompatible with the stock ecu - so sent it back for a refund.

Haven't really got a long list and nothing major to do;

Oil Change
Spanner\Fluid check - did a lot post Brands so won't be a biggy
Remove bullets and door trim - fill holes that are left (going to get some go faster contrasting stripes to fill the void left)
Replace missing race number \ race series stickers
Clean inside - after the sill\door work the inside has turned into a skip
Clean the outside - must get a cover - the barn's a dusty old place
Buff the scored wheel and touch up with black paint
Polish out the marks on the wing
errrm - anything I've missed?

Must get a pre and post track\race day list set up...

Getting the car geo set up again, had the drivers TR, TRE and ball joint replaced (post knock at Brands), found a garage (5 miles away) with a laser jobbie who'll do it for £40 - I'll give him a try (save £100) and if he can do all, nice, if not back to George Polley I go...

Still debating what to do with my limp mode thang - If it re-appears on the 23rd at Mallory - got a pedal to swap out on the day, longer term I don't think I'll look for the fault but maybe look at aftermarket ECU's and displays as a way of stoping the car going into limp mode. Won't fix the fault but the money spent finding the fault would be better used for an ECU\dash set up.

Will get a bit more of a professional opinion before I go down whatever step I choose though....as always, open to suggestions...

Seen a couple of nice Integras up for sale recently lol.