ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Not knowing much about welded diff's, goggled it and all I could find were reason's not to do it, some below...guess it's like locking the read diff on my tractor - great straight line abilities - forget turning, I forget sometimes and wonder why, with the steering wheel turned full lock why I'm still going straight...

5.) A welded differential makes the diver side and passenger side tire fight the asphault when turning, resulting is premature tire wear.

4.) Turning also puts a lot of stress on the CV joints and axles. I have already had to replace both axles. One of them only had 10,000mi on it, the other half shafts mileage was unknown. The new axles (Autozone) are already clicking under hard, slow turns and all right hand turns over 15MPH.

3.) Your turning radius gets WAY worse. You can forget about making those u-turns that you were already having problems making. It jerks and shakes during u-turns anyhow, it makes for a pretty unpleasant ride.

2.) I am pretty sure that the added tension from the welded diff daily driving has also caused my lower ball joints to go out but then again, they could be the factory ones from 1995?

1.) The power steering rack hasn't handled the abuse very well. I recently started hearing a clunking noise when I would go over bumps. As the clunking got louder, I started to notice a little wheel hop while driving on wet roads. The power steering rack has got almost 1/2" in it and I can move my tire from side to side
frown.gif

Oil Burner
I would imagine you would suffer tons of understeer, particularly in tight slow corners. You should also go through tyres and CV joints like they are going out of fashion. It would just put loads of load through lots of components in directions they are not really designed for.

Pretty much everything in the above post lol

Not going to weld the diff - my tractor experience is telling me locked diff for corners aren't a good idea.

Getting my ECU fault codes read tomorrow - that'll maybe point me in a direction to fix my limp mode problems....

What's the use of it on a tractor is it to help if you get stuck?

Hope the limp mode is easily fixed I've had the problem and changed the throttle pedal hasn't cured it 100% but it hardly ever happens now compared to every time i drove it.

172 Race Car
Forum\written word is rubbish at times...bottom of my post says

Just pricing it all up for now - still haven't gotten to the bottom of my limp mode problems - could point to the UCH, which may be faulty...
yea saw that but as i said, surprised your pricing that up and not an ecu and loom. You have a 10 year old, French, Road car wiring loom thats been disturbed (not got much going for it) and now plays up. Reliability before speed mate. Just my opinion and I know Tony would say the same. Thats the way we go racing.

Well, did get some prices for loom and ecu on the Tuesday (day after the race) but I'm hoping to drop the car of on the 16th\17th May for this to be sorted - did I not say.....I am at least getting the fault codes read later today -I have taken on-board your point about reliability - a long time ago. Nothing either you or Tony have told me, us is wasted - the lap times should prove that, I know Sam is over the moon with hers as I am with mine - I just know I am quicker (not being big headed) - so looking at improvements to help us too.

Last edited:
Here is the 20 minutes qualifying - first couple of laps plagued with limp mode problems (me not knowing exactly what to do where to stop etc), then a big off for someone that brings out the safety car for hours..well seems like it and I forgot that the Mk1 golf spins in front of me, from 14 mins in. Some random gear changes from Sam, of which we discuss after the session, I reminder her on when where etc.....

[video=youtube_share;xAxebLM0ZCk]http://youtu.be/xAxebLM0ZCk[/video]

Cheers James, all ok, played it back in slow motion - looks like head is going to fall off. Sorry re the bad wording to my 438 post, wasn't thinking.
I know it looked really severe, I was going to put the recaro back in for the next race because of the lack of visibility from the sabelt but after seeing that video I think I might just put up with the sabelt :)

Nothing to apologise for mate just felt I should add my opinion/ point of view :)!

Can't see the vid's as on my phone but will have a watch when I get on the pc, hopefully will have mine up tonight! PS I know what you mean about locking diff, my defender used to have one and anything over 15mph it just use to not want to turn! Great for getting me out of sticky situations though :)

CSCC Tin Tops Brands Hatch 07-05-2012 Race Report

04:30 on the 7th sees us set off for Brands, the Cup having had its final once over and clean the day before. Getting to Brands 2 or so hours later we met up with Tony Hunter and set up our small, compared to Burpspeed, encampment. I did drive around the paddock looking for available space to park according to the map received with the final instructions , Tony soon puts me straight that no one really takes much notice of the parking – parked up, Cup off the trailer we set about cleaning and getting the road dirt off.

Soon it’s time for the first timers racing at Brands brief – James (Bigash), Sam and I set off, expecting the brief to be a bit formal but, what we actually got was a fag packet list of events in the corner of race control – “oh ok, any questions?” he did look taken aback when a few where asked… nerves I guess, from us not him.

Time marches on, the Burpspeed and FFRacing camps are a hive of activity – I look at Sam and say are we missing something? So with the fluids, running gear checked (didn’t want to appear as not doing anything) it’s time for scrutineering and sign on. Both signed on and car, clothing passed, stickered up and checked it’s back to the paddock.

It’s time for qualifying and noise test – we head up to the assembly area, Sam gets in the car (boot) and out again and walks, neither of us too sure on the format and don’t want to be pulled up for carrying passengers etc ( work it out later that everyone does it, ah).

ARW_0117.jpg

Record 94db on the noise test (96db at Snetterton a few weeks before) and park up in the assembly area. Get given the engine start and set off to the pit lane – the green light is on and after clearing the pit lane head out towards Paddock bend, nice….bit nervous and go to accelerate down the exit from Paddock – it takes me a moment to realise that I’m pressing the go pedal but, nothing is actually happening….look down and see the “heatbeat” light lit, oh FFS!

Again, not really knowing what to do I limp round to the back entrance to the pits, just like a walk of shame but in a car. Stop, switch of, wait and re-start all fine….exit the pits and clear Paddock for Druids, exiting Druids the same thing happens, I fiddle with the key – but don’t actually have the nerve to switch off and limp once again to the pits, through the back entrance. Car restarted I get out of the pits just before the pit lane is shut and drive straight into yellow waved flags another, Oh FFS! I carry on for a few laps and get one quick’ish lap in after the safety car goes in before Sam calls me in…..

Sam takes over and gets us qualified in 23
[SUP]rd[/SUP] with a time of 1min .08 secs.

After a chat about the car, gear changes, we adjust the tyre pressures, when Sam should be changing gear and we’ve also both noticed that a few of the lap reference points we used last time have gone(decorators have been in)…..We’re now ready for the race.

CSCC-8539.jpg

With the weather changing – raining – then stopping it’s time for the race, clear and sunny, great, forever shines for us!! Car fuel all ok, tactics discussed in we get and head of to the assembly area, getting marshalled in to our numbered slot we wait. Whistle heard and engine start given I await to move off and then stall, left the hand brake on, another FFS, nerves.

On the grid for the formation lap – great feeling – watching for the boards and lights, green and move of, bit of wheel spin, see the car in front do it so I follow suit, hah! Ride the brakes a bit round the lap and get some over 6K revs in, limp mode doesn’t return….

On the grid again, 5 sec board, red lights on and off they go…….I get bogged down…wheel spin (probably some oil there too) ease off and start the race…forget to change from 2
[SUP]nd[/SUP] to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], hitting the limiter reminds me, head over to the inside and let the back markers by on the outside, paddock done – over to the outside for druids, druids done, wow. I find my feet for the first 2 laps and play with James , at the end of lap two I start to progress up the pack, great feeling out dragging the Golf (?), Pug 206 and Mini to Paddock. Bit hot into Paddock and have a bit of a slide, corrected and off up to Druids we go.

ScreenHunter_08May081524.gif

Loose out to the Pug and Mini and take it easy and re pass them, the Pug on the inside of Paddock, felt good that did…..Checking behind me and nothing threating I take the racing line, keeping it all smooth and precise. Soon on the back of the next two cars, blue MG and red Alfa. They mess around with each other into Mclaren and I pass them on the pit straight, cars alive…..! Next the three legged Golf Mk 1…gain loads on him into Druids (clock that his braking isn’t all that), I power up to him on Cooper straight and hang back, he locks into Mclaren and I cruise up his inside on the exit, he makes to block but gives me room.

ScreenHunter_04May141700.gif

I clock the next target, No 7 Ford Puma, I’m at the top of Padock and it’s at the bridge before Druids….I keep it simple and drive as Tony and Jay taught me and I work out that I can only catch it (quickly) under braking and better cornering , it’s got massive legs on a straight. I’m on their tail within 3 and a bit laps and pass them on the inside of Paddock. Then disaster, having just passed the Puma limp mode returns..big FFS.

Get it all started again and resume chasing the Puma down. Though, after two laps chasing limp mode returns and it takes me a while to sort out. I get passed by all and then the yellow flags are out for the incident up at Druids. As luck would have it I followed the Safety car around and I pit when it goes in, we’d be more laps down if I’d pitted when it first came out as the pit exit was shut.

CSCC-8980.jpg

I hand over to Sam and she has a good session, gets mobbed more or less as soon as she gets out on track by all the front runners and puts in a 58.3 sec fastest lap on lap 33. After my 2 limp mode faults the car drives fine up until she has a coming together with Fiesta No 14, wrong place wrong time, could’ve been worse. Sam comes back to the pit’s and after a quick check she’s sent on her way again to finish the race in 21
[SUP]st[/SUP] – two positions higher than where we qualified.

CSCC-2877.jpg

After finding my feet I got quickly up to speed and put in my fastest time, 57.5 secs, on lap 6. Both need to work on different areas of our driving and really looking forward to our next Race, which will be Mallory at the end of August.

A good day at the races all round.

CSCC-9035.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_08May081524.gif
    ScreenHunter_08May081524.gif
    245.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
  Clio
Good write up mate and a good result considering all of the issues you had! hopefully ill be along to a few races this year.
also just noticed you Ariel is still on, made me lol

Great write up Pete :) The novice briefing was so different to what I expected! Was a great day and was nice to have a play with your car at various times :) As said on the day your lap times are really good and just such a shame about the bloody limp mode! I hope you get it sorted quickly and easily :) Look forward to racing with you guys again soon!

After a long hard think and a really good n positve phone call I'm taking the Cup up to Mick at Diamond Motors next week to resolve my intermittent limp mode issues, get the feeling from his phone call that what he dosen't know about car electrics isn't wotrth knowing.

Plus from the fault codes he more or less knows where the break\fault (though the codes are not as good as a clip) is...he told me but, tbh I'd rather a professional sorts it once and for all.

Looks like we'll be getting a cheeky track day in before our Mallory shake down on the 23rd June as that'll hopefully show up any remaining issues before I need the car 100% for the Mallory days.

Any one know if there are any Donnigton (may do the CSCC race there in Sept as an extra) track days in early June?

May have cash left over for an LSD after all, budget has been cleared with the organ grinder.........monkey signing out.

Always said at the beginning that we'd only do 2 possibly 3 races this year due to the rush\expense of bringing the car up to race spec...just as well really now I've to sort out the electrical problem and damage to door ( got door and sill trim). Sill is being pulled (having a slide hammer tack welded to it, Ooooh) out over the weekend and door fitted after, good as new, then up to Micks at Diamond Motors for the electrics...

Clio 172 Cup
Loving the car and well done on the first outing from you both!

I might have missed it before but how did you go about mounting the tow strap on the rear of the car? I need to do this and just wasn't sure what would be best the best way to go about it.

Thanks, Liam

Clio 172 Cup
After wondering the same thing and taking a peak. They've drilled through the spare wheel well just behind the factory fitted tow eye and bolted it to there, I think.

Ah i see, thank you! Have they used washers to spread the load i presume in the event it does get pulled on?

Ah i see, thank you! Have they used washers to spread the load i presume in the event it does get pulled on?

Ah yes, not a perm fix though - just to get it fitted (not sure how strong it is there) did use a m20 bolt and some 5 mm backing plates\large washers may be man enough but, have a tow shackle which I'm (10-12mm dia) just going to attach to the std tow eye then to the TRS strap.

used M16 bolt not M20....

Just picked up my eBay drivers door and trim etc....I was supprised at how heavy these things are (25kgs?). Came with door card\mirror, not sure if window is in, could be wound right down.

Grinder's coming out tonight so will be able to get before and after weight...