ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

172 Race Car
We did 55's first year. (no diff but more power than you) Im sure you can do 56's on race day without too much trouble. That would be a good time and you will qualify well.

57.3 is good going mate

We did 55's first year. (no diff but more power than you) Im sure you can do 56's on race day without too much trouble. That would be a good time and you will qualify well.

57.3 is good going mate

Cheers Jay, Sam scored the fastest time of the Day..I'd better watch out...lol. Thanks again for the help...

FIx the surge issue ok?

No - left voice mail for you to see if I can drop it off today - to sort and remove the steering lock over this coming week and I'll pick up next Sat or earlier.

Gerrards ?

Yes, then after that filled up and now every time put foot down it pops and bangs, surges and misfires...It only surged twice, started Gerrards half way round it surged and then near the exit, eased off and came straight into pits. Added more fuel and now it does it at all times you ask for anything more than 3K revs - hold it at 5k and it hunts goes up and down 100-200 revs pops bangs and misfires....

Took the fuel pump out some rubbish in the bowl but gauze was clean, car was no different after re fitting any way.

No limp mode the whole day - good, but the problem is still there I should think.

Last edited:
Wondering if it's worth buying a digital camber gauge, as the different tracks we go to, changing the set up - camber - for one for each track seems to be coming a necessity. Think I've seen them for £150 so 3 trips to the garage or once to TDF\similar motor sports place it's paid for it's self. Hmmmm....

172 Race Car
Will need tracking reset each time tho remember, so still need to go somewhere. Buying tracking gauges is like taking a 2nd mortgage

Mallory Park Track\Test day 23-06-2012 with Javelin

After spending a few weeks getting the Cup repaired\sorted post incident at Brands then a couple of evenings spanner and fluid checking the alarm went off 04:30 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] June. After a quick check of the car, trailer and gear – all as I left it the previous day – we set off. Was a really nice start to the day sunny and dry and hoping it would last as the forecast was low cloud and rain.

After an uneventful 1hr 45min drive, get a bit lost when actually in Mallory Park, didn’t know the paddock was in the middle of the circuit. Then found the paddock filled with cones for the weekends rally stages being held there. With the Cup off the trailer and all warmed up time for the noise test, bit apprehensive as the system is right on the 98db days noise limit – came in at 97db so all’s well there.

The Javelin briefing was one of the better ones we’ve been on – short and to the point – no fuss, which soon saw us on the sighting laps. With the track sighted went out for few faster laps each to get a feel for the track, with 60 - 70 cars booked on did get a bit congested at first but no bother as we weren’t pushing that hard.

Tried Esses a few ways, later - earlier turn ins, not too sure either of us aced really where to turn in but once turned in straight lined, as far as possible, to the exit. After re-watching Burpspeed Mallory video – know to try it all a bit different. Same with the devil’s elbow.

Time to push on, had a short 10 lap session, got some clear ‘ish laps in and found the Cup responding well on all points – though taking a wide exit on the hair pin puts you right over some rather large bumps\ridges in the track about 50 – 60 metres from the exit, unsettled the Cup and made power delivery hard, so chose to take a tighter exit missing the bumps. This makes for a slow exit speed so maybe I’ll ignore the bumps and just floor it (responsibly) over them…

Treated Gerrards the same as Coram at Snetterton – settled the throttle and steering and let the corner take you to the exit, two big differences from Coram is getting the entry speed right and getting the power down soon enough to get a faster exit, both these are dictated to you at Snetterton as there’s a complex corner at each end of Corams. Our entry speed was increasing throughout the day but feel we both could’ve been a bit braver on the entry speed – exit simple enough, can get on the gas from half way round and feed in power until you think you’ll not keep all four wheels on the track when exiting, lol.

There’s a good\interesting track camber at various points at Mallory, Devil’s elbow for one.

Sam had the best session of the day – a good 20 mins of really quick driving ending with a few laps following a Mini that wouldn’t let her past. He’s on the edge quite a few times. A few people watching commented on number 17 when it passed their cars, “who’s driving the blue number 17?” the wife - tumble weed moment lol.

Had a fuel surge issue part way through the day, round Gerrards. It then plagued us the rest of the day, on the straight, in the paddock. Misfire\surging at random points when asking for more revs. Removed the fuel pump\filter and cleaned out the bowl\filter. Bit of rubbish in there not enough to block the flow of fuel any way. Car was the same after re fitting. Wouldn’t hold a constant rev at any point. Hunting up and down.

Started the car the next day let it warm up and the problem seems to have disappeared – held 5K without a problem. Giving it a run down the road under load later this week – see if it has gone.

No limp mode the whole day so bit of a bonus there but, I don’t think this problem has been resolved at all. I’m sure it’ll be back.

Will now watch Brupspeed Mallory Video at least once a day until the race.

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Race Car
Terribe traffic on your vid Pete, like a rush hour on a motorway. Sam is going very, very well.

Theres a low 56 in that car easily, on race day.

Nice and neat.

Esses is 4th gear btw.

Thanks Tony, once we'd got into the swing of things 4th all the way....lol. I have a good grass cutting video to post of the Esses -can't quite remember if I forgot to brake, turn in or both.......About the only corner with a decent run off if you get it wrong.

I did go for 5th a few times on the straight after Gerrards but, didn't bother changing up, the thought was there for more speed\power - think I need to get it mapped again and rev limit raised and see what else can be got from the engine - I think TDF is the closest place to me for this.

Terribe traffic on your vid Pete, like a rush hour on a motorway. Sam is going very, very well.

Theres a low 56 in that car easily, on race day.

Cheers Jay. Yes, have caught Sam watching her video many times now, think I now have funds and sign off for a new ECU\map and LSD lol!

Looking at the prices of mapping and some offer map with ECU so makes no sense to get a map then have to end up replacing the ECU later on. I think I know that I have to do this to get it all reliable again. If I just did track days I probably wouldn't bother. Switch off reset ecu - no harm done.

Last edited:
Budget busting ideas for you :)

Probably worth considering getting TDF to fit throttle bodies with the ECU, might not be much more and would at least save some mapping if you ever plan to fit them in future.

I'd also think about a lower final drive while you're getting a diff fitted, don't know if the tin tops regs even allow it?

Even I'd get shot if I went to the SWMBO with that list.....lol - ah, just re read post you mean they fit itb's map then take itb's off again?

TDF want 3.5k for ITB's I saw on their web site recently, think 2.9K for cliosport...and £800 for an EC1-r1 inc map on their dealer pages here (inc fitting if I've read right, plus VAT).

Jay told me that the gear box internals can be adjusted but the JC5 case must stay. Not sure if I'll go the ITB route, rather spend on the gear box...personally. Feel that would make the drive a whole lot different - quicker than say 20bhp from ITBs - Might only get to 125 poss 130 but it'd be there pretty darn quick...

I'm no expert don't forget - just gaining knowledge\ experience as I go.

182cup & 172 racecar
Lol, brain fade. just one of those moments where you forget what you are supposed to be doing. No harm done.

Yes it is tempting to grab 5th after Gerrards, just never seem to get round to doing it, plus you don't want to be fluffing a gear change into the Esses, not at that speed.

Didn't realise the ecu was that cheap. How much of the loom would get replaced for that though? With ITBs there are more differences so was thinking you might get more of the loom replaced for "free".

Agree about gear box before power.

Even I'd get shot if I went to the SWMBO with that list.....lol - ah, just re read post you mean they fit itb's map then take itb's off again?

TDF want 3.5k for ITB's I saw on their web site recently, think 2.9K for cliosport...and £800 for an EC1-r1 inc map on their dealer pages here (inc fitting if I've read right, plus VAT).

Jay told me that the gear box internals can be adjusted but the JC5 case must stay. Not sure if I'll go the ITB route, rather spend on the gear box...personally. Feel that would make the drive a whole lot different - quicker than say 20bhp from ITBs - Might only get to 125 poss 130 but it'd be there pretty darn quick...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

I'm cheaper and I use jenveys.....

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Pete, be sure to ditch the DBW TB setup and go for a Ph1 cable driven setup... that will deffo resolve your problem and make the choice of ECU easier also.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
No, afraid not as the pedal setup replaces the throttle position sensor and the numbers expected are in a different range (voltage not resistance).

If you're making the jump to aftermarket ECM's I'd give the Emeralds a look to.

Found a good use for the damaged door....

2012-07-07-145.jpg

Not in the country on the 4th Aug, away on holiday from the end of July to 11th August, otherwise would've been there. Bit of a pity as it would've been good to show the Cup and show a bit of support to the club\forum.

Haven't really touched the Cup since the Mallory Track day - taking it to 519 Automotive on Sat (21st July) to get the engine running right also to remove the steering lock in preparation for the Mallory race at the end of August. Other than this not a lot to do -

I've been given a really good price for a new Quaife lsd diff sub £900 and a new shorter final drive for sub £500 both I need to buy before the end of July or the price goes up to £1050, £800 - I'd prefer these mods over and above TB's but not sure I want to spent the money. Hmmmm.

Anyway, couple of mileage milestones reached this week;

Cycled my 6050th mile this week since starting to cycle to work 20 mths ago (Nov 2011), using average of 30 mpg, average £1.35 p\ltr and 4.5ltr\gallon that works out to around £1230 not spent on diesel, nice.

The VW Golf GTTDI, bought new in March 2001, has just turned over 200,000 miles and still going strong.

Costs for cycling have been £800 on the two bikes I use - £200 on new GT Transeo (Winter) bike and £600 on 2nd hand Specialized carbon (Summer) bike. Add £200 for the clothing, lights, brake blocks, cleaning and other lube stuff.

I've now about broken even - though a 4K pay out after getting knocked off last year did bring my break even point a bit sooner than expected. So, after being knocked off the bike, run off the road 3 times, (by a car, double decker bus and 40' lorry - not all on the same day) far too many cars pulling out of juctions in front of me to count, numerours road rage and cycle rage incidents make for an exciting journey into work. Long may it continue - even though every one hates cyclists lol, fact.

Might be able to get the hay cut this weekend too as the weather looks like it's on the turn and then baled come Wednesday, should've been done in early June so bit late this year.