ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Got 5 days left before the entry has to be in for Donington (would this be the National circuit?) trying to get a test\track day\eve arranged and there isn't much around before the 15th September that I can see. Not sure I want to subject us to a race (on quite a quick track) without ever having driven it, those curves look as scary as when I first did paddock....

Let me know if you end up finding one please Pete as i'm having the same problem trying to find a decent one. Will probably just end up testing the day before but its ridiculously expensive :( It's an epic circuit though, you should do it!

Ah, just looked £245 for half a day on the 13th....there's a quiet 98db day on the 5th Sept £295 or £195 half a day. I'm 97db and had no problem's at Mallory on a 98db track day there in July.

Hmmm, I'll have a chat with the teams finance director and see what comes up.

Just seen a track day on focused events for £139

Yes it is silly expensive for 3 hours track time :( Yeah I need to find one with higher limits or wait until I change my exhaust but doubt that will be in the next month :( Also think it's the induction noise for me!

Haha sounds like a plan ;)

Very good price but I have never liked driving the GP circuit there and too quiet for me. As Jay says though will be perfect for you to learn the circuit though as the only corner you miss out is easy (Apart from when you wollop the kerb like I did the other night and nearly put it in the barriers lol)

Just read this from the latest CSCC newsletter,

Scrutineering
Mike Harris, our chief scrutineer, who attends all of our meetings was there to smooth the passage for our cars.
One unusual issue came up during scrutineering. The Belgian scrutineers ran their hands along the top of roll cages to check
for weld continuity and found that two of the cars did not have continuous welds along the join close to the roof, eventually
both cars passed, but one Porsche had to have a hole cut in the roof in order that the cage could be welded.
Please make sure your cage is completely welded, as now that this problem has been spotted, it may be checked at home.

what does this mean in English?

Ah, just looked £245 for half a day on the 13th....there's a quiet 98db day on the 5th Sept £295 or £195 half a day. I'm 97db and had no problem's at Mallory on a 98db track day there in July.

Hmmm, I'll have a chat with the teams finance director and see what comes up.

Just seen a track day on focused events for £139

Think the focused events one is for motorbikes

Donington is stupidly expensive. From October onwards Javelin seem to have done a deal to get Donington back on their calendar and only £139 for a full day.
I'll be doing the October 30th one I think as the last day before the Clio comes off the road. It's good someones finally doing decent priced days there as it's an epic circuit but it's too late for you guys :(

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Top bit of driving from both of you, Glad we seem to have eliminated the electrical glithes too, although my heart was in my mouth when you fudged a shift and I thought it had dropped into limp again hahaha

Well done guys :)! Great to see you all and the family today and really good to see you and Mark battling it out! Made me want to be out there even more! Hope you can make it to Donington

Congrats, great result

Thanks mate - we couldn't have done it with out all the help, Cheers :D

Top bit of driving from both of you, Glad we seem to have eliminated the electrical glithes too, although my heart was in my mouth when you fudged a shift and I thought it had dropped into limp again hahaha

Thanks Dan, car was spot on - you never know, may change my mind about TB's after all....lol

Well done you two, was a good day all round.

Thanks Tony, all your help has brought us both on no end! Glad you like the brownies that Sam made.

Well done guys :)! Great to see you all and the family today and really good to see you and Mark battling it out! Made me want to be out there even more! Hope you can make it to Donington

Cheers James, Harry and Scarlett had a really good day and they loved being amongst it all - my Mum and Dad had a good time too watching the race, was a great time for all!

Got a day to work out stuff for Donington, fingers crossed.

Team Toast!

P1000604.jpg

Last edited:
Just received confirmation that our race entry (emailed this morning) has been accepted for Donington.....

Doubt we'll be able to get out to test either, oh well just follow everyone else...hopefully not through any red lights or yellow flags...:quiet:

Just received confirmation that our race entry (emailed this morning) has been accepted for Donington.....

Doubt we'll be able to get out to test either, oh well just follow everyone else...hopefully not through any red lights or yellow flags...:quiet:
Great news Pete :) Really glad your doing it! They have taken the money from me but not confirmed it so I hope all is okay with mine!

Haha cheeky git :rasp:

I'm just posting Sam's review of the latest race, will do mine later.

Sam's Race Review –Mallory 2012

Second race. Mr Clio patched up after my last outing. Determined to stay in one piece this time!

You can imagine my heart sank when we arrived and it was still wet....Never driven on a wet track in the whole 18 months we've been doing track days.

Qualifying
Qualifying was early at 09:30. Pete went first and planning on doing 7-8 laps so that I could have a bit more practice time. He let me know it was slippery in a few places and to take it “easy”.

Easy... that's for girls!!

ScreenHunter_01Aug292156.jpg

Well, I certainly learnt the hard way and had a spin on my second lap no less. Damn! Glad the mic didn't pick up my expletives.

Didn't take too long before Burpspeed snook past me so I tried following but too fast and more guts than me round those corners – had another wobble at Gerrards.

Stayed behind my friends in No 14 (the car that t-boned me at Brands) for a bit. Didn't want him to do the same again if I tried overtaking.

Then tried a quick pit stop to make sure I could find the entrance and also notice Pete on the pit wall waving like a mad-man to make me come in! It was my turn to go first off the grid!
I was aware Mark (123) was behind me a few times – I was thinking “I must not let him pass and to speed up”. Started to get my confidence back towards the end.

My qualifying session - un-edited

Race
We were to start 21[SUP]st[/SUP] on the grid. Not too disappointed about position really, at least not too many to come past me which I have to say is a bit unnerving for the first few times. Also on the inside of the track which was good. Had reasonable start, couldn't really see the lights but tried to keep Mark in sight – someone to follow.

Managed my first pass, ever, in a race and started to catch up with a small group ahead. Then No 74 (purple Alfa) started to spill fuel or something. Wasn't quite sure what to do immediately, realised I needed to overtake but dithered a bit! The next few laps were a bit slow, wasn't sure how this spillage would affect the track, thought I might have a repeat of the morning so took it easy round Gerrards but too slow really.

Started to feel the pressure of a few cars behind me and not wishing to lose places I tried to protect my line but ended up making some silly mistakes.
Then my friend in Burpspeed turned up again and squeezed through what seemed like such a small gap!

Tried to overtake a couple of times at the hairpin – namely No 36.Over-braked and just missed him but got him the next time round.
Not long after that I came into the pits for our driver change.

The time just goes so fast when you're on the track. I'm having such good fun in this little car, but I'm sure I need to neaten up a lot. Everyone is really great. Hope my next trip out is as good.

The start -marked the best bits out below;

First overtake from2min15

Fuel spilling from 74from 5min 15

Lose out to 36and lapped\squeezed by Burpspeed from 9mins

Attempt to retake 36 athair pin – from 14mins – get him next lap

Last edited by a moderator:
Mallory Park 26-08-2012 (Pete's version)

Having had the Cup's electrical issues remedied we journeyed back to Mallory, 3rd time here since mid July....as we park up and meet Tony & Helen it's starts to drizzle. Get the Cup of the trailer and give it another once over, not long before sign on and scrutineering. Get through both with out a pause so kitted up I'm in the seat for the first stint at qualifying. We had already agreed that I'd do the minimum 3 laps plus a couple more. From the moment I exited the pit lane things felt different, loads of movement under the front wheels - not always in the direction I wanted to go either. Not experienced this before, first damp\wet track in 18mths which is a bit unbelievable really, being in England an all.

Didn't start to push until the 3rd or 4th lap and even then not too hard, enough to get the brakes tyres up to temp. Saw the red (rover?)spin at the hair pin on the 2nd lap, another must've span there after as the next time I went round there was bumper\fog light debris on the exit.

The last two laps the track was dry all bar the Esses and the apex on the devils elbow so think those where the best laps of my session. Car felt fine - no issues at all.

My 10 mins of qualifying - un-edited (trying out some editors at the moment - seeing what's what).

The Race

Taking over from Sam took a bit longer than would've liked really 50 secs-1 min, out I go, hmmm car feels strange.....thinking I could get on it straight away I nearly come a cropper at the Esses. Soon work out it's me being a mong and get stuck in. A a couple of lonely laps where I don't see a car in front for ages, plenty behind me. I see a car ahead as I exit the hair pin catch and pass that just before the hair pin again. I have a good couple of laps and pass our Nemesis No14, squeeze him off the apex at the Devils Elbow, though I do have a moment and lift as I don't think he has seen me.

ScreenHunter_01Aug302202.jpg

Coming round Gerrards I get a waved blue flag and slow to let Tony pass, neither of us saw the stationary yellow flag on the exit. Have a couple of laps before I next come across another car, though I have cars in my rear view and all the time try to keep them at a distance - traffic allowing. Trying to pass No 43 on the exit of the hair pin (I'm on the inside) get squeezed, frightened I lift off and cut behind to the inside to overtake after apex of the devils elbow as he steers wide.

Round Gerrards I let the No 6 red rover through and then mange to catch him up again, bit confused so I stay behind for a bit and then pass him on the way into the hair pin. On the exit I fluff my gear change and let Mark (123) pass. Spend the next 2 - 3 laps working out where I can pass him again, get closer and on the gas a bit before him on the exit from Gerrards and I'm through. 1 mistake three laps to make it good again...

It's after passing Mark that I lap my first ever car!!

Couple of fast laps sees me on the tail of a blue rover, reeling him in quite quick. He goes defensive into the hair pin so I go racing line to a late apex to pass him on the inside - would worked too but for some reason I either held on to the the steering wheel or it didn't centre or torque steered myself nearly into the inside wall of the hairpin...back to square one. Following closely up to Gerrards, think about the inside but stick behind to wait for him to steer wide for the exit, he doesn't move of the inside line.. catches me out as I'm heading for where he shouldn't be - so I cut over to the out side and then get blocked nearly off the track but keep my foot in anyway and pass.

Settle down to a few fast laps and lap 39 see's the fastest lap time, 55.72. I don't even see the chequered flag as I'm a bit fixated on passing the MG in front.....

Had a really good race and happy the Cup ran without a fault.

Got a bit to do before Donington, rear brake pads - probably the front disks and pads too. Tyres, need some of them too.

Sam hands over to Pete

0:30 sec cropper at esses
4:30 1st overtake No 19
5:00 meet the hyundai No 20 and then No 14 on Devils apex

Finish the race...

0:50 secs tony passes
3 mins meet No43 and pass on the exit of the devils elbow
3:50 red rover overtakes and caught in traffic then fluff gear change then chase mark
7:30 pass mark(123)
8:00 Lap a car!
9:50 lap a 2nd car!!
10:30 blue rover
12:10 lap a 3rd car!!!
13:15 chasing MG100
13:50 another fluffed gear change

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Race Car
Nice write ups. Hope Sam isnt upset with us. If so sorry We've got to squeeze by quickly with cars chasing us. Gave her much more room than some other cars i lapped.

Oh and Russ red MG had gearbox/clutch issues late on in race so that explains his slow exit at hairpin. Think he was in 4th all the way and that thing has zero power low down as its so highly strung. Its over 200bhp, really cammy

182cup & 172 racecar
Nice one Pete.

I can still only just about pick out that yellow flag. Piss poor I'd say, unless they move nearer the barrier later on,.

It's bang on 1.03

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Excellent write up.

More of the same at Donny see you there!

Ps some more of the choc brownie - PLEASE!!! Lol

RenaultSport clio 18
This is an intriguing thread, looks like your having a great time on track well done car looks goodt.Are you at brands soon or has it gone.begood to watch some clios racing

Nice write ups. Hope Sam isnt upset with us. If so sorry We've got to squeeze by quickly with cars chasing us. Gave her much more room than some other cars i lapped.

Oh and Russ red MG had gearbox/clutch issues late on in race so that explains his slow exit at hairpin. Think he was in 4th all the way and that thing has zero power low down as its so highly strung. Its over 200bhp, really cammy

Sam's not upset!...guessed the MG had some sort of problems as I shouldn't have been able to catch him.

Cracking write up both of you :) Can't wait for donny now!

Have you decided yet to do carry on with Donington?

Nice one Pete.

I can still only just about pick out that yellow flag. Piss poor I'd say, unless they move nearer the barrier later on,.

It's bang on 1.03

Thanks Tony, yes had it been waved not a problem seeing it, blends in too much stationary.

Excellent write up.

More of the same at Donny see you there!

Ps some more of the choc brownie - PLEASE!!! Lol

Cheers! I'll mention it to the team's catering director...

This is an intriguing thread, looks like your having a great time on track well done car looks goodt.Are you at brands soon or has it gone.begood to watch some clios racing
Thanks for reading! It's morphed into a lot more than just the odd track day that's for sure...Brands was May 7th pic's and stuff here

Wait for the link to load to the right post..

Had a good day on the Cup - arches rolled, all pads changed brakes checked, running gear given the once over and the car lowered four complete turns of the locking rings about 8-10mm.

Picked up some used Yoko A048's 205 50 15's for £25 each from the place where I get my tyres from, give those a try at Donington. Was to have picked 4 up but left one as it had a cut in it. Stick two on the front and if I can get another used one in time they'll go on the rear. The fronts alone will give me an idea of "if they'll be worth it".

Confirmed that there's a brake in balance on the rear, drivers side. Noticed it wasn't as hot as the passenger side after the Mallory race. It was fine until I took the pads out for a pre race day check, I wound the piston in a bit to get it back together and afterwards it now produces less effort.

What can "go" inside a rear calliper? Not much to them I'd thought.

I'll flush through some brake fluid tomorrow as the fluid is all looking a bit dark in the reservoir - was changed last March - bit old I suspect!! See where we are from there.

Sunny day so took a few pic's

Harry on Fiver, Scarlett with Banana skin, Sam with Kevin and Pete behind the camera

2012-09-01-186.jpg

Scarlett helping with the tea and biscuits - and supervising too. Ah forgot "Fiddle" the bear - doesn't come out much.

2012-09-01-187.jpg

The final result of rolling my arches - not too bad, other side is a bit bumpy, first side I did - knew where I went wrong for the 2nd side - passes the 20mtr check OK though.

2012-09-01-189.jpg

Plenty of room now for the 15mm spacers and 205's.......

Last edited:
Wondered if you had done them yet.

Wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be either. Harder to drop the arm and ARB, thanks for the lend and I'll bring the arch roller to Donington. Kept going until I ran out of ummph, as didn't really know how far to stretch them out.

Didn't fancy taking it all off and checking for size etc, also didn't use a heat gun and only got one small split in the paint. Plenty of chips though where the roller slipped out as I was pushing it lol.

Last edited: