ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying a carbon fibre splitter?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
As most peoples have... my splitter has been destroyed over the years. However it's never actually cracked or anything, there's just some chips over it and it's discoloured, to be honest it looks rather terrible. I was just going to get a new one, however I wondered if it would be worth just spraying it up?

What would be required here... sanding down, primer, paint and lacquer etc. would they all go on alright?

Also wondering to go for matt, satin or gloss, what do you think and has anyone done similar?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Yeah if it's been finished (ie not bare carbon fibre) then you just need to flatten, prime & spray.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I would be tempted to flat it back and re laquer it first, You may find that it comes up pretty good if its just the lacquer that is discoloured

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
This is the state of it atm...

0F510398-239C-494C-A779-FBCC3B756176_zpsh1ajxcfr.jpg

F13EBE6A-148A-4CE3-84FE-286FD2D4C0CF_zpskm9thotp.jpg

DV8

Clio 182, Civic EK9
Mines like this too (and cracked in the middle). Got some carbon wrap left over so im trying that first and if it looks shite its going satin black.

All sorts
Try a high power jet wash first to blast most of the flaky bits off as your splitters have had a lacquer coat, after this any stubborn bits of lacquer left will need wet and dry sanding flat, just becareful at this stage not to hit the primary layer which contains the carbon weave.

Then re-apply 2pac chip resistant lacquer ;-)