ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silver 17TWO Project

Not made alot of progress, but this weekend i fitted the new alternator and driver's seat

a09c098e.jpg

Next job is to fit the carbon door cards and harnesses

Been up to the garage today to try and make some progress.

Hit another stumbling block though, the second hand alternator I bought is dead !

So I need to get another alternator (one with a guarantee this time !)

Decided it was about time i pulled my finger out and got going on getting it back on the road (especially now the weather's a bit better)

It started off well, got the new alternator and battery on and it started first time. Left it running for a while, it got up to temperature and seemed to be running fine. Then it decided to spit all the coolant out through a split in the bottom hose and then i dropped my iPhone while i was pushing the car back into the garage and cracked the screen :dapprove:.

So mixed results really, i'll be back there straight after work tommorow and carry on with getting it put back together.

Made a quick (and fairly boring) exhaust video, startup and then once warmed up

Done on my iPhone so not the best quality either, i'll do another one outside at some point with my D90.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been back up working on the car today, decided to give the back a clean up.

Started out with a boot full of bits and pieces

758.jpg

759.jpg

Cleared out, could now see how dirty it was

760.jpg

762.jpg

Gave it a quick clean up (forgot to take after pics though).

Then I decided to put the driver's harness in, I used the original seat belt mounting points. I understand from reading on here that this will be fine as a short term solution until the cage is fitted ?

764.jpg

765.jpg

After that I decided to get my removable steering boss fitted, did most of it but i need some ends for the horn connections

A couple of other pics

770.jpg

771.jpg

And back away for the night

773.jpg

My new bottom hose should arrive tomorrow so I be going back up there to get that fitted

Well almost a year after the last update and nothing has really moved on.

I've been mostly waiting on my brother to help me out with the last few jobs (he's the knowledgeable one), but due to work commitments (amongst other things) nothing's been done on it.

May should be a fairly quiet month for me (as far as holidays etc go) so my aim is to get it MOT'd and back on the road in the next few weeks (although i've said that before).

The essential job list :

Remove rear locking wheel nuts (someone's lost the key !)
hange brake fluid Wire up horn
Fit airbag resistors
Refurb 15" wheels + buy tyres

Additional jobs :

Fit passenger seat and harnesses
Move battery to boot
Fit ITG airbox
Buy and fit EPAS column and controller
Fit carbon doorcards and handle spacers
Fit front splitter
Fit Mocal catch tank
Mapping

Future plans :

Rollcage
Possibly ITB's or RS2 at some point

​Hopefully there will be some updates after the weekend :)

This week my KTR induction kit arrived, i had decided to leave the battery in the front for the time being.

Anyway, after doing some more reading on here, i went up to the car today and ended up moving the battery by routing the cable through the bonnet catch cable hole.

Boot.png

Boot-1.png

Which left me plenty of room for my ITG airbox, i just need to work out where the catch tank is going to go now

EngineBay-1.png

FrontEngineBay.png

EngineBay-2.png

And thats it for now, i'll probably be putting the KTR induction kit back up for sale on here this week

Slowly getting through the job list

I managed to get hold of a locking wheel nut key which fitted, so this morning i got the last 2 off

​In the next week or so i'll get a stud conversion kit ordered.

Been doing some worrk on the car this morning

First couple of jobs i did was to finish wiring up the horn (just need find the horn button now) and fit the stereo blank

IMG_1982.jpg

Finding somewhere to mount the Mocal catch tank was something i'd been putting off, after doing some reading on here i decided the solution might be to move the ECU.

So basically i laid it on top of the gearbox mount

Before

IMG_1983.jpg

After

IMG_1984.jpg

Airbox in place

IMG_1985.jpg

Catch tank roughly where it'll be (i ran out of time to actually mount it)

IMG_1991.jpg

Overall i'm happy as the essential to do list is quickly shortening

I'm putting off fitting the stud conversion for the time being because of the time required for the loctite to set before refitting the wheels. This might have to be a job for when the car's back on the road and i can do it at home.

Been back up there today and did the following :

Fitted new steering angle sensor
Fitted dash top
Fitted missing wheel nuts
Fitted rear bumper
Checked all bulbs
New front indicator bulbs
Polished headlights (well tried)
Fitted handle spacers
Fitted new earth lead

The car is being collected in the morning for the last few jobs to be done and it should be MOT'd this week hopefully.

Only a small update.

After being messed about by the garage i took the car to, Matt@codered collected it for me a few weeks back and set about trying to get it sorted out. After a new driveshaft, new cambelt, correcting the timing, sorting out the interior wiring and clearing numerous faults it's now passed it's MOT.

There's still a few jobs that need doing but it's finally getting close to being back on the road.

Good news at last, I'm collecting the car from Matt tommorow.

So after 4 years its back together and on the road, really can't wait to collect it now.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 182, with the extra work it should be even quicker i hope.

Just got back from collecting the car.

it feels like a harder ride than the 182 with the AST's on their current setting, it goes well but i didn't really get chance to have a good play with it. Also it's the first time I've driven a car without power steering since I tried my brothers old mini, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected tbh. The good thing was I had no running issues and even got 29mpg out of it.

Only issue I did have was the B&M short shift got extremely stiff once hot. Think it's a common issue with these but I'm not sure if there's any solution other than putting more grease in it ?

Can't wait to go for a good long drive in it tomorrow now.

Thanks to Matt@codered for the work he's done on it, I think I'll be taking it to him from now on.

Well the rain yesterday ruined my plans for working on the car, but today I got going on it.

Fitted the first 8 wheel studs, got another hour or so before I can do the others

null-9.jpg

null-8.jpg

null-7.jpg

Meanwhile I swapped the drivers seat over with what was going to be the passenger seat.

null-5.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-3.jpg

The Circuit seat is nice but it's a bit tight for me and I just didn't feel comfortable enough in it, so it'll be for sale later.

I've put some more grease in the short shift so I'll have to take it for a spin once the stud conversion is done. Hopefully it's loosened up as I'd like to take it to Brands on Thursday if I can get the time off work.

Had a go at fitting the carbon door cards and grab handles today. I wasn't very precise with my measuring or cutting and it was a bit of a disaster. Finally got them done though and they don't look as bad as I was expecting (it is only a track car after all).

Door handles on

null-15.jpg

Grab handles on

null-16.jpg

null-17.jpg

null-19.jpg

Rears in, although I didn't realise how marked they were

null-18.jpg

And finally a quick engine bay pic

null-14.jpg

So i did Brands this morning, i was a bit nervous and hoped the car would perform well and not let me down.

I only remembered to take one pic but i tried out Harry's Lap Timer app on my iPhone so i'll have to go through the videos when i get in from work.

null_zps7346626c.jpg

Only issues are i appear to have broken or bent something on the front suspension as the steering wheel is no longer in the correct position when the wheels are straight so i'll to get the wheels off and have a good look at it. Also about 15 mins from the end of the session i started getting a rattle from the exhaust, i'll have to get under it and have a look at that aswell.

It took me a while to get used to the track but overall i really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back out again asap (although i think it'd be a good idea to get it mapped first)

Most importantly though is it got me home with no serious problems :D

Here's some pics from the MSV website

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_6221.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6845.jpg

And a quick iPhone video from mid way through the morning, think i need to find an external mic next time and also adjust the positioning a bit

I was getting quicker as the morning went on but there's obviously plenty of room for improvement (like braking alot later and carrying more speed through Paddock Hill bend for example)

I definitely want to go back there at least once more before Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
Swapped the exhaust mount over this evening.

I did contemplate get a Prima Racing one but I figure the Oreca is pretty light so it's not worth the extra cost.

null_zps8f96d45a.jpg

null_zpsdec56b1f.jpg

Also took the 16's off and put the 15's on

null_zpsd773e324.jpg

null_zpse37d18dd.jpg

null_zpse0f6ba57.jpg

I'm not liking the silver on silver, I think they need to go black or red

Clio.
Hi Adam, feel free to pop by and I'll look at the steering for you. I think I may have a pair of springs for the black car too.
Ta, Matt.

I had some trouble with a flat battery on the car yesterday, so this evening I redid the earth cable as it was a bit loose.

After that I thought I'd check the alternator, it appears the top bolt has snapped so the belt is under hardly any tension. I've sorted out a replacement bolt so I'll get it fitted tomorrow night.

No major updates really.

I've replaced the broken alternator bolt but the starter motor needs replacing as it's sticking.

Then this evening I collected my old Safety Devices rear cage back from Kelv, so the next job will be to get it fitted.

Woah just seen this. Dude whats going on? You've got a sorted 182, prob one of the best on the forum, why are you building the same car again?

I know, the 182 is an absolutely perfect all rounder. It's just about comfortable enough as a daily and has the performance to go out on track aswell.

The problem is i'm too attached to my 172 (had it since 2004) and after all the hassle i really want to finish it, other than a cage it's got pretty much everything done i wanted on it now.

I'd never get the money it owes me back if i sold it, and breaking it would be a shame now it's finally back on the road.

Been and collected the car from Matt at Code Red today, he's done the following :

Fitted the front splitter I've had in the garage for over a year
2893D54E-47F1-4A77-9A21-B3ABB22FD9F1.jpg

Fitted my rear cup racer towing eye
B46C8482-C31C-428D-9ED6-3A7EB4F9A23E.jpg

Fitted a PH1 stalk and Sparco removable steering wheel boss
0E77F4C0-08C2-466F-8975-9D10977AE68B.jpg

EC71B29E-7C03-4812-9634-044F887589C5.jpg

Replaced the B+M shifter which was sticking when hot with a Ph1 one
3C50707D-CA28-4C2D-9A5F-98481FE2554F.jpg

Checked and adjusted the tracking
FACD6CD6-4669-474F-BF07-BF180F10CDB7.jpg

Also had the starter motor refurbished and refitted, new rear discs and pads, fitted passenger subframe and side mounts plus a few other jobs.

It drove great on the way back, the PH1 shifter is so much better.

The next job for me this week is to paint the wheels black (not keen on silver on silver) then fit the R888's I have in the garage.

After that I'll sort out getting it mapped once I've decided whether or not to fit an extra centre silencer.

Unpacked the R888's today and checked them over, they were as described with a decent amount of tread on them (even ended up with a nearly new spare aswell).

R888s.jpg

Then at lunchtime i took them down to be fitted

R888s_Fitted.jpg

Also won an OMP WRC seat on eBay to use for the passenger side, it's a shame i couldn't hold out for another Sparco one but it's virtually brand new.

OMPWRCSeat.png

I'll get some pics up of the actual seat when it arrives next week and i've bolted it in.