ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silver 17TWO Project

Thought i'd stick together a quick history of my car and then keep it up to date with new additions.

2004 - After toying with the idea of a brand new 182 i decided to go for a year old 172 and traded my 1.2 in. These are the first pics of it. Mods at this point were tinted windows, pipercross cone filter and black lexus lights.

172-1.jpg

172-2.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

2005 - New K-Tec Exhaust, didn't have great taste at that time !!

KTecExhaust-1.jpg

KTecExhaust-2.jpg

2006 - Black Wheels, Standard Rear Lights, Carbon Splitter and first trip to fcs and rws

cliorow3smallkh0.jpg

RWS033-vi.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg

Parade_339FromRenault.jpg

2007 - Busy year, went to RWS UK, RWS Belgium, FCS, Trax and Donny South. A few bits had changed Brembo HC Discs, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Braided Lines, K-tec Stealth + B+M Quickshift. Also went for a nice polished and tidied engine bay and did my first (and last) trackday at Abbeville.

100_6628.jpg

EngineBay-2.jpg

2008 - Throughout owning the car i had several times where i considered selling, and the start of the year was one of them. But after looking at running costs, insurance and loans i decided to stick with it and make some serious changes.

So at present the mods are as follows :

Schrick Cams
PH1 Airbox
ITG Profilter
RSTuner Remap
Samco Coolant Hoses
K-Tec Stealth Cat Back
Janspeed Sports Cat
Trophy Recaros
Sabelt 4 Point Harnesses
MSV Rear Cage
H&R Coilovers
Silvervisions
Carbon Splitter
B+M Quickshift
Brembo HC Discs
EBC Greenstuff Pads
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads for Track Use
Moquip Braided Lines
Tinted Windows
Black Side Repeaters
16" Black Team Dynamics 1.2's with 205/45 Toyo T1-R's

Also received all the paperwork for the plate transfer so these will be going on tommorow.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Thanks to RM_Bailey for the plate and Steve (SM_WRC) for the cage, harnesses, help and loan of tools.

This weekend i'm going to be doing some more stripping of the rear and get some pics up of the cage and harnesses.

Then the car's off to Mark Fish next weekend for a service, a set of his top mounts and to get the suspension properly setup.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Apart from the orange bits (I hate that with a passion!) The car looks superb!!

loving it mate looks brilliant!

Thanks

whats the performance like?

Frustrating !!!

Still having issues which were originally presumed to be mapping related. But Henk @ FastChip has been alot of help and it's now looking more likely to be a sensor fault. So it needs more investigating.

Even with these issues though it's feels much better than before. Can't wait for it to be all sorted though so i can go for a nice long test drive and see how the Cams, Top Mounts and H&R's all feel.

vw bora
looks wicked mate especially with your new plates ;) like the orange tow eye but you should paint the bullets black and just do the 2.0l 16v in orange would look the b*****ks then

Partner's Astra SRi
Don't normally like black alloys on clios but I like that actually. Cool plate, I like! And surprisingly I like the orange.

Good work, very much improved from how it started

Got my car back from Mark Fish last night along with a nice long list of jobs completed. Had it serviced, aux belt changed, drive shaft gaitor replaced, a set of top mounts, suspension setup and a few other bits. Can't fault the work he did and i would recommend him to anyone. I had to take it easy on the way back though because i had a battery in the boot.

I got up this morning hoping to give the car a clean and then take it out for test drive, but when i got up it was absolutely pouring with rain so i left the wash and went straight for the drive. What a difference, i'd actually say it handled better in the rain now than it did previously in the dry.

Once the rain stopped i gave it a clean, took it for a blast on the wet roads and took a couple of photos.

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

Also decided i'm definitely losing the orange. Gonna go for for black and silver bullets, black badge and silver towing eye.

Next jobs will be more stripping and brake ducts

Clio 172
Looks very nice.

I like the polished engine bay, quick question (and please dont laugh) how do you polish it up like that? aftermarket parts or are they original?

sorry to sound like a div!!

cheers

Thanks for the comments, glad people agree with losing the orange and carrying on the black and silver theme.

what power/torque has it made on those schrik cams chap?

Still needs more mapping but it feels much better. Hopefully i'll get it on a rolling road in the new year and see what difference they've made.

A few more updates this weekend. I fitted my new renault battery a few weeks ago, because the previous one (Halfords) was too long for the Ph1 airbox to be correctly fitted.

Jobs Done :
  • Brake Ducts
  • Alarm relocated
  • Ph1 Airbox moved
  • New CAF
  • New TDC Sensor
  • Acoustic Valve Removed
  • Back to Silver Towing Eye
DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

One of the interior (still needs more stripping)

DSC_0311.jpg

A couple of the Mark Fish top mounts (the damage on the top was caused while removing the CompBrake ones)

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

And a couple of my brother's Mini

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

Hopefully the TDC sensor will fix the stalling issues, so hopefully i can get back in touch with Henk and get the mapping finished. Then i can really get my monies worth out the Schrick cams.

Quick update on the car's progress and it's not good. The TDC Sensor did nothing to fix the stalling issues and i've also replaced the throttle body since. The car has also had a diagnostic check at Renault and that came back with no faults.

So i've had enough of replacing parts in the hope it fixes the problem and the car's off to Mark Fish on Saturday. Hopefully i'll get it back in a week or so with it running sweet again.

Anyway here's a pic of the excessive fuel usage

mpg.jpg

And a couple from my night shots thread with the standard front diamond and side bullets back on it

20090224-4.jpg

20090224-2.jpg

20090224-5.jpg

Got the car back from Mark Fish, it's had a new center section and he's checked the car over. The problem appears to lie in the mapping, it's just running too rich.

I'm all booked up for the RS day at Brands on the 27th May and am also planning on booking another Brands day in the next couple of weeks as a tester.

So today i started the stripping and painting of the interior. Only spent a couple of hours on it, but i got the seats out and some of the rear trim. Think i'm going to have to take the cage out tommorow to make it easier to remove the carpet, rear cards and seatbelts. Then i'll be ready to remove the tar and get painting.

Here's a couple of pics from today

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Hopefully have some more updates tommorow

Had a long day on the car today, started at 7.45 and finished at 9.

Started off by removing the cage

DSC_0002.jpg

Then all the rear trim and seatbelts

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Then removed the tar from the floor, not a nice (or quick) job. Removed 9 strips which weighed in at 4kg. Still got four more in the footwells to do another day.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Gave it a good clean and applied the first coat of silver paint, by which time it was dark.

Will get some pics up when i've applied a few more coats to it.

Gorgeous looking car there! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the steering wheel from and how much did it cost? Also does the horn still work with that button?

Cheers
Nick

Yeah, horn still works.

I'll post the link up to the wheel when i get home, i'm on the train to the Chelsea game at the moment.

Last edited: