ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I buy a 197?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
hey, fella just make sure the insurance is as it says, i bought a 172cup back in may when i was 19 (now 20) and was given a quote of £2000 went to insure it and they wouldnt cover the car for any less than £5500, and only now the insurance is more reasonable, which is £2133, i say go for it, you'll never want to go back if you one, i love my 172 so much fun....... when you live in the countryside and can drive it when you please without insurance...;).. lol but good luck if u can find a tidy one and cheap insurance

Just because you live in the countryside doesn't make you exempt from driving with insurance. Tool...

260% JCW
My thoughts exactly............ no wonder people have to pay more for insurance then their car is worth.:clown:

This is probably the wrong forum for your question...
Most of the guys on here will always try to convince you to get a 1*2, I've had both Im currently in a 182 and seem to be going round in circles wanting another 197. But, it depends what you want the car for, for me the 182 is a better daily drive, everything seems hurried to drive the 197 quick, personnally I think the 197 is the best looking clio outside a vee. If you are gonna go for a 197, go for an R27 it's got a better chance of retaining value out of the mkIIIs, more companies are now starting to do development work with the 197/200 engines if that's your thing, more has been done and is available for the 1*2 series tho

In my opinion go for what you want, not what others think you should want!

DB.

BMW 440i
do it, I bought my 182 at 19 and have now just bought my Golf Gti at 21!

Never regretted either!

Turbo LY R27
197's are crap , i had one with a few mods and got bored of the power very quickly , not as quick as a 182 and just felt to slow , they are expensive to tune , are very heavy compared to normal clio , spend your money elsewhere , 7k could be better spent IMO , the handling was great though and they feel a lot more solid than the 182's , just so god damn expensive to squeeze power out of

What a load of crap. Is the 182 cheaper to mod?? err no! The 197 seems to be very under rated on here for some reason, ive owned both and while i would happily own another i think the 197 is a much better step up.

Clio 1970000000
What a load of crap. Is the 182 cheaper to mod?? err no! The 197 seems to be very under rated on here for some reason, ive owned both and while i would happily own another i think the 197 is a much better step up.

This +100

The 197 is better - the end. The 1*2 may feel faster and more chuckable but the fact is it isn't. Driving skills is where it's at and 99% of peeps on here will run out of skills long before the car does.

Fuel economy is worse on the 197 though but meh!!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This +100

The 197 is better - the end. The 1*2 may feel faster and more chuckable but the fact is it isn't. Driving skills is where it's at and 99% of peeps on here will run out of skills long before the car does.

Fuel economy is worse on the 197 though but meh!!!!

In your opinion it is, lets not overlook that.

Stagecoach Ticket
If it was me id be getting a £800 Ph1 172 cheaper to run less money invested in it proberly the quickest of all the sports will feel very raw compared to your space wagon corsa aswell. Abuse it till it blows up use the spare cash to run it on track days etc. Then use the rest of your student loan to travel and experiance university. I have freinds that run expensive cars whilst at uni all live with at home with mum and are the last to sign up for holidays, go karting trips to the football etc. I am car less now and have had more fun than ever

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
If you actually consider £1800 to be a sensible price for insurance then yes get one, will be much more of an exciting drive than the corsa, but personally I don't understand how people could justify that much on insurance and think its reasonable

Tell us more ...

Having re-read the post it's not the clip I thought it was.

That said Fifth Gear had a 182 vs 200 comparison (the 200 is regarded as being considerably better than the 197) and despite the show airing and saying the 200 was faster it was a complete fabrication. The script had been written before they'd even got behind the wheel and they cherry picked two laps from the afternoon of filming rather than the fastest lap each car achieved.

Before people protest saying it can't be true the reason we know is that one of the owners of the two cars posts on the forum. ;)

Stagecoach Ticket
All top gear, fifth gear etc is fake and fabricated to be entertaining. They constantly kiss manufacturers arses to promote new car sales anyway, would not be surprised if they get kick backs from the companies.

Megane GT
Having re-read the post it's not the clip I thought it was.

That said Fifth Gear had a 182 vs 200 comparison (the 200 is regarded as being considerably better than the 197) and despite the show airing and saying the 200 was faster it was a complete fabrication. The script had been written before they'd even got behind the wheel and they cherry picked two laps from the afternoon of filming rather than the fastest lap each car achieved.

Before people protest saying it can't be true the reason we know is that one of the owners of the two cars posts on the forum. ;)

Oh my god, actually never knew that! Cant believe it.

People are saying have a crap car and have extra money, but tbh if having a nice car is important to you then go for the 197, you dont want the whole 'i wish id bought it' thing. And if you do decide the financial commitment is too much then you can always sell it. I spend so much of my wages on running my car, but I think its worth it because I like having a new car (despite the insurance being an arm and a leg) so go for it! :)

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
I'm also in the same boat mate. I recently sold my TCE and I am curtrently wondering wether to buy either a 197/200 or not. I'm 19 as well and thinking seriously about getting one. The only thing is, is there much tuning potential with them?

I'm currently looking at 197/200, Polo Gti 9n3, Polo 1.2 TSI 6r, Polo 6r Gti and Corsa VXR.

I have constantly been looking on pistonheads and the likes looking for a new car and honestly cannot decide what to buy lol

Rusty Cup
is there much tuning potential with them?

Hell no your looking at the wrong car if your after tuning potential, look for something turbo'd.

My advice is dont buy a fast car when your that young im personally so glad i didnt, thusly i didnt crash any cars and now ive got 10+ years no claims and i can afford to buy and insure what i want without it finacially crippling me, also ive never paid over £900 for insurance i really feel for the youth of today.. oh wait no i dont haaaa

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
Hell no your looking at the wrong car if your after tuning potential, look for something turbo'd.

My advice is dont buy a fast car when your that young im personally so glad i didnt, thusly i didnt crash any cars and now ive got 10+ years no claims and i can afford to buy and insure what i want without it finacially crippling me, also ive never paid over £900 for insurance i really feel for the youth of today.. oh wait no i dont haaaa

This is what I thought.

I was thinking of going for a likes of a 1.2 tsi Polo for another couple of years and work up a few more NCB (touch wood)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I would advise buying a 197- ( a standard one that is) your in no mans land & going to end up with an average early facelift model & not really going to get the benefit of the revised model-

If you have a budget of 6-7k then I would say do one of the following-
1) buy a low mileage trophy for say 6k & keep your change for small mods-
2) save up another 1k & get a decent R27 with all the trimmings....

Dont settle for that middle car- always the top spec of what you can afford

S

Last edited:
Im 22 and at Uni. Got a ph2 172 full fat with all the toys :)
Ive also driven a 200 cup along with a couple of mk3 1.2's, and a mk1 1.4. The 200 feels faster and bigger than the 172, and it beeps at you furiously to change gear! (this may be switch-off-able - although not when your lapping the ring)
The mark 3's are more modern, but they dont offer much extra over the 172/182; a 6speed box, cruise control, facelift, updated chassis, more power, audable shift NOISE!
The 197 is the best looking though.

Id go for a much cheaper 172/182 with all the toys, its fast and a nice car, leaves you with loads of money to enjoy uni life, it may even be cheaper to insure.
As others have said the 172/182 does far better mpg, being at uni its important to save money for my other vechicles lol.

Having said about saving money at uni, once you've bought your books, save money for petrol, food, and maybe rent.
Then with a part time job and what was left of my student loan;
In my first year of uni, I bought a litre sports bike
Second year I bought a 172, and traded my bike for a brand new, lighter and faster CBR600rr
Third year... dont know yet... 350z? M3? R32? ST220? Polo GTi?
Given my experience you should be ok getting a 197 in one year then enjoying the following two years partying :)
Depends on what you like more; fast vechiles or getting drunk...?

Well it felt like it went pretty quick, although lap times were slower. Maybe the German registered ones have more power lol.

Swift Sport
The 'feel' of speed in a car has always been a questionable subject, there are so many contributing factors. Pretty much every 1*2 owner that rode in my 197 said it seemed quicker, probably down to how I drove it. Usually the bumpier, more cramped and lower to the ground you are, the faster you think you're going. It's not always the case though.

One thing I will add though, the standard brakes on a 197 are awesome.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Im 22 and at Uni. Got a ph2 172 full fat with all the toys :)
Ive also driven a 200 cup along with a couple of mk3 1.2's, and a mk1 1.4. The 200 feels faster and bigger than the 172, and it beeps at you furiously to change gear! (this may be switch-off-able - although not when your lapping the ring)
The mark 3's are more modern, but they dont offer much extra over the 172/182; a 6speed box, cruise control, facelift, updated chassis, more power, audable shift NOISE!
The 197 is the best looking though.

Id go for a much cheaper 172/182 with all the toys, its fast and a nice car, leaves you with loads of money to enjoy uni life, it may even be cheaper to insure.
As others have said the 172/182 does far better mpg, being at uni its important to save money for my other vechicles lol.

Having said about saving money at uni, once you've bought your books, save money for petrol, food, and maybe rent.
Then with a part time job and what was left of my student loan;
In my first year of uni, I bought a litre sports bike
Second year I bought a 172, and traded my bike for a brand new, lighter and faster CBR600rr
Third year... dont know yet... 350z? M3? R32? ST220? Polo GTi?
Given my experience you should be ok getting a 197 in one year then enjoying the following two years partying
:)
Depends on what you like more; fast vechiles or getting drunk...?

How the f**k you afford all that as a student is beyond me (unless you have wealthy parents).
And students moan about rising fee's....

LY 200
Advise against **

I would advise buying a 197- ( a standard one that is) your in no mans land & going to end up with an average early facelift model & not really going to get the benefit of the revised model-

If you have a budget of 6-7k then I would say do one of the following-
1) buy a low mileage trophy for say 6k & keep your change for small mods-
2) save up another 1k & get a decent R27 with all the trimmings....

Dont settle for that middle car- always the top spec of what you can afford

S

Im with Steve.

I have owned three different performance Clios in the last 8 years from your very age (a ph2 Black 16v with factory leathers, LY 182 and now a full kitted 197) and would never consider buying the basic although im sure to some it'll be decent enough.

RS's are brilliant (im currently weighing up a forth in the form of a 200) so do it if it's what you want mate as they are that good for the pound and they just keep getting better with every model....

How the f**k you afford all that as a student is beyond me (unless you have wealthy parents).
And students moan about rising fee's....

We shouldnt moan, we only pay it back at something silly like a £5 a week, when you earn £15k+, even then its written off after x ammount of years.
Infact we are not paying £27k for tuition because of when we started uni, only £9k total for 3 years.
Whats is annoying for me is they are putting up the interest rate :(

Im not living on campus im commuting so I dont spend my whole loan on rent, or mcdonnalds.
The litre sports bike wasn't new. The 600rr was new but I had a decent deposit from the other bike.
172 was cheaper because I traded my octavia in

sorry to thread jack.

Renault Clio 197
I Loooooove my 197 it has served me well, but quite expensive to maintain! Upgrading to a 200! But yes, if you got the dollar get a 197!