ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I buy a 197?

LY 200
^What do you mean expensive to maintain? In what way?

I'm currently thinking about a 200 as the 197's just about to fall out off warranty and I don't want to be caught out but to be honest to date the 197 hasn't cost me much to maintain at all.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Never got that argument.

You're going to pay another 3k for a 200, beacuse your 197 is about to be out of warrenty...... yet the 197 might be sound for another 3 years. If it does break you have that spare 3k to chuck at it??

LY 200
Why would I want to chuck 3k at the older model when the same would get me peace of mind and the newer!?

If the 197 stays reliable great but if it turns unreliable I don't really fancy putting the time and expense into it.

It's a tough one but I can see why people who use their cars on a regular basis (daily commute) would go down the new route personally.

Megane r26
I haven't long just traded in my mint phase 2 172 for a 197 an tbh i'm glad i did. At first when i got the 197 i wasn't sure but the more i drive it the more i love it! 0-60 there proberly isn't much in it but its certaiinly quicker to 100 but tbh i am more impressed with the handling, it runs rings ound my 172 in that department an is so more planted in standard form! Each to there own but i love me 197 :D just do it mate!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The 197 is more stable than a trophy - easily.

Drove the 2 back to back last night

S

350z, Subaru Legacy
Why would I want to chuck 3k at the older model when the same would get me peace of mind and the newer!?

If the 197 stays reliable great but if it turns unreliable I don't really fancy putting the time and expense into it.

It's a tough one but I can see why people who use their cars on a regular basis (daily commute) would go down the new route personally.

Would disagree from my years of commuting, work-horse all the way. 200s will be coming out of warranty, so you're not really buying any piece of mind.

If you buy a 197, it's not very likely that you'll be spending £3k on repair bills!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah thats what I was getting at, just worded it badly.

You'll never imo need to spend anything like 3k on a 197, but you'll need over 3k to upgrade a 197 to a 200

LY 200
I'll be buying a new 200 if I do upgrade so it won't be a car coming out of warranty.

All personal preferance anyway.

350z, Subaru Legacy
Well with buying new to avoid costs - if you factor in depreciation, it's a false economy.

But somebody has to buy new so I can buy cheap...

LY 200
Who said anything about me only buying new to avoid costs? lol

This place never changes.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Who said anything about me only buying new to avoid costs? lol

This place never changes.

^What do you mean expensive to maintain? In what way?

I'm currently thinking about a 200 as the 197's just about to fall out off warranty and I don't want to be caught out but to be honest to date the 197 hasn't cost me much to maintain at all.

?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
buying new doesnt work out worth whilte, lets all buy a £1000 williams and keep the £14000 for anything that breaks. - no thanks.

brand new all the way, my current runabout is my first ever brand new car and ill be replacing it yearly now with another new one, i love the hastle free, piece of mind motoring. change it before it even needs serviced! lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you will never get the answer your looking for on here buddy, if you can afford it then id take a test drive see what you think, ive never driven a 200 but they are the "next step up" from a 197, going from driving a standard 172 vs a standard 182 ff, i personally felt they were an upgrade that was worth while.

if theres nothing else that tickles your fancy on the market then imo, it will likely be a worthy upgrade, assuming the test drive confirms it for you!

White clique
I'm with JayR TBH, pretty much always change my car when it gets out of warranty, for a number of reasons including peace of mind that i dont have any unexpected future costs, this isnt about the actual overall cost compared to a new car, but more about not wanting to be landed with a £2k bill out of the blue and having no wheels whilst its being fixed, wanting to drive in a newer car, and my decent experiences of hassle free motoring / no quibbles whilst any warranty issues are sorted. If you want that peace of mind without a car in warranty, then an extended warranty is also £££ and its rare to find one that truly is comprehensive, so a level of hassle still exists.

LY 200
Iv driven one already mate so I know what it's about and Alan has made some good points.

Actually pretty much all of what he said is what I'm thinking plus the fact I like the idea of owning the newest and best RS Clio currently on the market.

Mk3 1.6
If you've got the money do it :p personally id rather buy one a few years old.. I cant see much going wrong and if you can fix it yourself 90% of the time its something cheap, but all down to what you prefer!

Listerine & Poledo
buy it, but it now.

buy expensive cars when you're young and dont have mortgages etc. to worry about.

Sure, it'll depreciate but, whatever, but it's better than buying some 1.2 then burning money hand-over-fist trying to make it something it's not.

You'd even be able to sell it later on when you get bored / skint

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
If your current circumstances allow you to, then do it. I decided to swap a diesel Corsa for my 182 as I came to the realisation I'm young, have no mortgage/kids/wife etc. relying on my money to make ends meet, so there's plenty of time for being 'sensible' when I'm much older.

Unless getting one will bankrupt you to the point where you can do nothing but sit and look at it on the drive, get it now and enjoy it!

Listerine & Poledo
I got my MX-5 while I could.

Now I need practicality, I cant have another. And until the other half has 5-years driving experience I cant get anything truly tasty with 4 or more seats.

sigh.

B

bluebell

BUY BUY BUY .. no question ..!! never had sooo much enjoymetn out of a car .. love it !

MCS R56
I wouldn't pay that for insurance but it's your money. Prepare to fork out for fuel but I'm sure you'll love the 197.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
trophy are old news these days, the game has moved on. if he was going to downgrade his 197 for a trophy then he would be as well saving his cash and getting a ph1 - best of the clio 2 bunch!

260% JCW
So the 197 must be old news then with the 200. Didn't see Evo voting the 197 as one of the best FWD cars ever...........

LY 200
How is the flag ship (but dated) mk2 RS better looking than the 197!?

This place still gives some big LOLZ.

White clique
So the 197 must be old news then with the 200. Didn't see Evo voting the 197 as one of the best FWD cars ever...........

Fail TBH. Just some of the Evo'S 197 quotes:

Brilliantly accomplished hot-hatch hero.
Point-to-point it’d take a very talented driver in a 182 to stick to the 197’s rear diffuser .
The driving position is massively improved.
Once you’re in the groove, the 197 is an awesome proposition. If Porsche ever did a hot hatch, it would feel like this.
It moves the game on from the 182 in virtually every respect. .

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/200372/renaultsport_clio.html

Sounds OK to me. And having owned both, i can say it is... BETTER!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

correct the 197 is old news, as will be the 200 soon enough, then then its replacement soon after that. its progress. it happens, doesnt make the old one a bad car just the new ones are a different level.

Megane 225 F1
In terms of driving -

200>197>Trophy>172cup>phase1>182

TBH

S

172 FF?

20110128203738!Trollface.png