ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I buy a 197?

Vauxhall Corsa D SXi
Hi there, I'm new to this forum so I hope I've posted this in the right place!
I'm 19 and currently own a 2007 Vauxhall Corsa D 1.4 with a VXR bodykit. I absolutely love my car but, to be honest, it's pretty slow! I was actually going to buy a Clio but was put off by the *ahem* blandness of clios compared to the, in my opinion, more interesting looking corsas! Anyway, my insurance renewal as a first driver will be around £1000 and the car is worth around £5500, and I was just looking on confused for quotes on faster cars, and I was pretty suprised when I found I could insure myself on a 2L 197 for only £1800!! :D
So, my question is, do you guys reckoln that it is worth the upgrade to the 197, which I would pay around £7000 for? Could I get a decent one for that money? A quick look on autotrader seems to suggest I could! What is this car like to run, and is it a practical car for someone of my age given it's speed etc?
Cheers for any help guys and maybe I'll be joining this forum properly soon :p

Ultra 197
Do it mate, you wont look back. spec wise you'l get a decent 1 for 7k and tbh there isnt that many dogs around so you'd get a good 1 for that price.. There very nice to drive think you would notice a massive difference on your car now.

Vauxhall Corsa D SXi
I just checked on autotrader, and the trophy seems to be the older style clio? After my Corsa, I really think that would feel a little dated? Besides, they seem to be hardly any cheaper than the 197, and both have a 2L engine?

edit: OHHHHH, the trophy is a limited run special, so it's ultra cool right? :D Now I see why you like them!
2nd edit: I get that the trophy is cool and all, but it's a 197 or nothing for me, sorry! What are your opinions on the 197?

Z4 Coupe
I just checked on autotrader, and the trophy seems to be the older style clio? After my Corsa, I really think that would feel a little dated? Besides, they seem to be hardly any cheaper than the 197, and both have a 2L engine?

Slightly older, Yes. Awesome to drive, Yes! Much faster than your corsa, YES! Better looking than the 197, HELL YES.

Every box ticked in my opinion;)

Bux

Golf GTD
I got my 197 when I was 19, so glad I did. If you're in a safe job with good income then I would say go for it, they can be expensive when you have to replace things like brakes, tyres and cambelt (56 plates are due a change). Fuel economy isn't too bad, I get on average around 29 - 30 mpg with mixed driving.

Megane GT
Heya, Ive driven a 200 a couple of times on longer journeys and tbh, as long as you arent a tw*t when you drive you should find it not too much more to handle, just faster acceleration ( Im 18 and have a 1.2 currently although have had cont. access to two other 2l sports cars since passing). Their fuel consumption arent tooo bad either, although not sure how they compare to corsas. And welcome to the forum :)
If youre looking for something in particular spec wise lemme know, I know someone that might be able to hook you up :)

Vauxhall Corsa D SXi

Why not, if you don't mind me asking?

I got my 197 when I was 19, so glad I did. If you're in a safe job with good income then I would say go for it, they can be expensive when you have to replace things like brakes, tyres and cambelt (56 plates are due a change). Fuel economy isn't too bad, I get on average around 29 - 30 mpg with mixed driving.

That's very helpful, thanks!! Unfortunately I'm in uni at the moment, I get the feeling that it might be sensible to wait till next years insurance renewal on this, when the insurance will be cheaper still and the car will hopefully be cheaper! But I sooooo want a power upgrade!!! argh!!!

Slightly older, Yes. Awesome to drive, Yes! Much faster than your corsa, YES! Better looking than the 197, HELL YES.

Every box ticked in my opinion;)

Haha I see :p Personally, I think the 197 looks alot better, all personal preference I guess. Anyway, as crazy as it sounds, my mum won't let me get anything other than a 5* NCAP car *sigh*...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you may find the clio bland looking compaired to the corsa (obviously this is all down to personal preference) however the corsa is EXTREMELY bland to drive, the clio on the other hand is a riot!

Vauxhall Corsa D SXi
Heya, Ive driven a 200 a couple of times on longer journeys and tbh, as long as you arent a tw*t when you drive you should find it not too much more to handle, just faster acceleration ( Im 18 and have a 1.2 currently although have had cont. access to two other 2l sports cars since passing). Their fuel consumption arent tooo bad either, although not sure how they compare to corsas. And welcome to the forum :)
If youre looking for something in particular spec wise lemme know, I know someone that might be able to hook you up :)
That acceleration just sounds like sooooo much fun :D My corsa does 36mph, which isn't great for a 1.4 really! And cheers, but at the moment I'm not looking for anything in particular. Besides, unfortunately I've just broken my leg and can't drive for three months :(:( it's so frustrating!

Vauxhall Corsa D SXi
you may find the clio bland looking compaired to the corsa (obviously this is all down to personal preference) however the corsa is EXTREMELY bland to drive, the clio on the other hand is a riot!

Actually, that's not true for the latest shape, higher spec Corsa's. Their main strength is the chassis, which is actually very good! The engine, however, is quite weak!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Actually, that's not true for the latest shape, higher spec Corsa's. Their main strength is the chassis, which is actually very good! The engine, however, is quite weak!

ive driven a few and where corsa B and C's were just dangerous, the newer shape ones are better but still bland, seriously. try a clio!

I'd wait buddy, leave it a year till your insurance is cheaper. The new Clio RS will be coming out so 197 prices, along with the 200, will be dropping like mad.

Good things come to those who wait ;)

£7k on a car, £1.8k on insurance... while you're at university?!?

f**k me, things have changed since I was a student. I rolled in a 15 year old 1.6 Sierra when I was at Uni.

If you HAVE to get a RS Clio then I'd be looking at a 172. Certainly for a student.

Vauxhall Corsa D SXi
Sorry, I can't quite work out how to multi quote on this forum so I will do a general response, if that's ok :)

To Matthew, thanks for the advice, I think you might well be right! :)
To Danny, I meant that the Clio is bland in terms of looks compared to the Corsa, which it certainly is, particularly when you put a VXR bodykit on. The clio bodykit isn't so great :/ But yeah, I understand that because the Corsa is heavier etc it has 'duller' handling, and I know most people say the Clio does handle better in general :)
To Dunn, yeah I was suprised how cheap they are :) Much cheaper than Corsa VXR's weidrly!! And much cheaper to insure despite the VXR's 1.6 Turbo
To mike, umm it's all pretty complicated, but basically I had earnt a lot of money by the time I was 18, I lived at home for first year of uni and had a big grant (loan +grant = £6k, not that I spent most of it on my car) I already have the money put aside for current insurance, so I will be able to find the extra for the 197 if necessary :)

Thanks again for all the help, this forum seems really good. Still not as good as Corsa-D uk though :p

Megane 225 F1
I didn't mean no. Yes you should. Deffo over a corsa. But maybe you should look at a 1*2?

Mini Cooper S sport
I certainly wouldn't be wasting £1.8k on insurance while you're at Uni! Suddenly I think my car's cheap to run.

Yes 197s are good cars but I'd have some patience (Take That styleee)

is1

Integra Type R DC2
£7k on a car, £1.8k on insurance... while you're at university?!?

f**k me, things have changed since I was a student. I rolled in a 15 year old 1.6 Sierra when I was at Uni.

If you HAVE to get a RS Clio then I'd be looking at a 172. Certainly for a student.

I seem to think this daily after being on Cliosport for around a year now, particularly given that most students can't seem to get a job anymore.
You're a student - you should have a relatively carefree life in your student days.
Keep the car you've got or sell that and buy a dog of a car that you can leave anywhere (city centre, out on the street), that costs you little on insurance and fuel and enjoy life.
A sporty car will be expensive to run if you don't have a decent regular income - have you factored in road tax, further insurance rises, tyres, servicing, unforeseen problems/costs?
The 197 seems to be the black sheep of the recent Clio range i.e. not quite as lauded as the rest of the models post-1998.

Mk5 golf gti
f**k that, while a student i had 3 RS clio's an Alfa and a 2005 fiesta zetec s as well as quite a few more that i cant think of.

decent part time job and your away.

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I'm a student with a 182. I'm not paying anywhere near 1800 on insurance though, and hope I won't come renewal next year. I did consider a 197, but then realised I'd have very little cash to put away in case of problems etc., so decided to go for a 182 and have some cash left over. I also only got it as my 2004 Corsa was heading for a big bill and a lot of hassle, so decided to seize the opportunity and get something fun before I had things like a mortgage/higher non-student living costs etc. to worry about...if I'd had a pretty sorted 2007 Corsa there's no way I'd have changed though, and would consider myself pretty lucky tbh.

Fiesta ST3
Im a student with a 172 cup and I could afford mine and I commuted to uni every day (40 miles). It all depends on what you want to do with your money? Piss it up the wall, or get a nice car? Or if your rich enough, both!:rasp:

Swift Sport
Get out there and drive a 182 and 197 then decide for yourself, I've had both and they're awesome cars. Only thing I'll say is that the 197 feels much bigger and more refined, but at the cost of poorer fuel economy.

Vauxhall Corsa D SXi
To everyone whose replied since my last comment, thank you!! Extremely useful info there :D
I was expecting a hailstorm of 'yessssssssssss' with little thought to my actual situation, but instead I've got some useful, grounded advice!!!
As it stands at the moment I have managed to get the quote down to £1300 as a first driver, with no no claims which I think is very good. Assuming I can get around £6000 for my car I think I will probably be selling it in early December and will buy a 197 for around £6500-£700, which seems to be able to buy a reasonable one.
In fairness going from 98 to 194bhp for the sake of maybe £1000 seems like a bargain to me :D Ofcourse I do realise running costs will be higher, but I have plenty of things I can sell to make the extra money needed.
Thanks again for the help!

White clique
if you are going to get anything at all get a 197. Dont bother with a 182 or 172, if you wanted a 197 to begin with then stick with your plans. But if i were you i wouldnt bother getting one quite yet.

197's are crap , i had one with a few mods and got bored of the power very quickly , not as quick as a 182 and just felt to slow , they are expensive to tune , are very heavy compared to normal clio , spend your money elsewhere , 7k could be better spent IMO , the handling was great though and they feel a lot more solid than the 182's , just so god damn expensive to squeeze power out of

clio sport 172 cup
hey, fella just make sure the insurance is as it says, i bought a 172cup back in may when i was 19 (now 20) and was given a quote of £2000 went to insure it and they wouldnt cover the car for any less than £5500, and only now the insurance is more reasonable, which is £2133, i say go for it, you'll never want to go back if you one, i love my 172 so much fun....... when you live in the countryside and can drive it when you please without insurance...;).. lol but good luck if u can find a tidy one and cheap insurance