ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Second car - Clio Turbo

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen, today I picked up my Clio 1.2 turbo from West Yorkshire, travelled from Southend, Essex. 4 hour drive there and back so it was a journey... But I am pleased to say it is my second Clio and it's turbo! Such a big improvement on everything from my last 1.2 16V mark 2 Clio. Power delivery is great, fuel economy isn't as good yet... Here she is...

These are the photos from the ad
image.jpeg

It looked really clean in the photos I was surprised it was so cheap at £1695 with 60k miles on the clock

Already was colour coded, K&N filter, team kecko wind deflectors and tinted windows and rear Lights

No stereo though so I brought nice Sony one and some new bulbs

When I got there things weren't so great, there were dings in the roof, a scrape on the back which happened the day before and it's been written off twice.... Hense the price. The bumper is ruined literally hanging off you can imagine how fun that was on my 4 hour journey home...

The car also has like a milky substance in the oil? Not the dip stick just the hole you'd put more in, is this a head gasket issue or just condensation?

Then to top it off the emissions light came on haha

This didn't stop me loving the journey, and when I got home I put a forge dump valve that my brother in law so kindly gave me for £0.

image.jpeg

The good news is I only paid £1100 for the car so £600 off but it probably needs £600 worth of working doing haha

I want this to be a project I work with for over the next few years so here's my plan

- full 3" Exhuast system
- RAMAIR air filter
- FMIC
- Clio 182 injectors
- remap
- boost gauge ( already have just need to put it in )
- RS spoiler
- AMP steering wheel
- coilovers or lowering springs
- Rota grip alloys

Hoping to get around 140-150bhp by the end

Plans I would do if I had unlimited money

- full Clio 197 rep
- Bigger turbo
- forged internals
Etc

More to come !

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Good to see another local. I used to have a twingo tce , great fun. Will keep an eye out for you .

Just a general freshen up with that car, waiting for payday to get the issues sorted! I kept seeing that " Demon foam " car shampoo advertised and brought some for £6. The results weren't that bad at all
image.jpeg

Gotta have some turbo stickers!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also link to the forge dump valve

doesn't sound bad considering these are running around .4 bar of boost as standard ( might be wrong )

More to come !

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Well, the thread title lead to a bit of an anticlimax.

The current plans for the engine sound OK but I wouldn't bother with any of the 'if I had the money' goals. Essentially you're going to be hard up against the law of diminishing returns by that point.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
With all due respect, I would save the money mate and just spend a minimal amount to get it running and looking ok. Totally agree with @McDriftin - for the money you are considering paying out the 'gains' will be minimal. Save the money, give it a couple or three years, upgrade to something with a bit more power. Job done.

With all due respect, I would save the money mate and just spend a minimal amount to get it running and looking ok. Totally agree with @McDriftin - for the money you are considering paying out the 'gains' will be minimal. Save the money, give it a couple or three years, upgrade to something with a bit more power. Job done.

That's what other people said about my first 1.2 n/a which they were right about. But this is going to be a car that I have for a while now, if I can get 40bhp which is 40% more power then that will be pretty good for me

Update! I got the boost gauge fitted after 3 hours and it doesn't work, faulty gauge. So a new one is ordered! While waiting for it to turn up I brought a new RAMAIR air filter as my current one that came with the car ( K&N ) has holes in it as well as colasping slightly. Pic for lols
image.jpeg

Here's the new one
image.jpeg

Bonus Lols here's the boost gauge not working correctly

Update! New RAMAIR air filter gotta say it looks good!
image.jpeg

But please someone help! It's either a dodgey gauge as I've had 2 and they've both done the same thing ! Turbo gauge won't sit at 0 PSI when the engine is on, and when I Rev it it sits at -30 and won't go above - 25 PSI

image.jpeg

( engine currently off )

Engine on and Rev

Update!

Boost gauge now works perfectly, I think? It's reading 7psi.

While adjusting the bov to see what the best noise I'd get, I left the vaccum line off by mistake and it wasn't fast as it was loosing boost pressure, but made the Stutututu noise I've put the BOV on full recuirc and closed the vacuum line so now it boost correctly and I get the Stutututu noise. I love it :)

Next up is a full service, fit 197 spoiler and get the paint touched up. Watch this space

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Looks like your enjoying the car mate.Keep at it but dont chuck all your money into it as in a year you could maybe insure a 197 or something :up:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't think the gauge is supposed to sit at zero on idle, given you aren't creating any boost. Pretty sure it's supposed to be on vacuum at that point

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't think the gauge is supposed to sit at zero on idle, given you aren't creating any boost. Pretty sure it's supposed to be on vacuum at that point

Haha yes you're right, at this point the engine wasn't on, just the ignition

Good stuff, dont know much about the 1.2 TCE - do they go ok ?

Personally I've only ever driven a 1.2 mark 2 N/a and my current 1.2 turbo. It is much quicker, pulls really well in 5th as well.

With a remap, bigger injectors, full exhaust, FMIC and an Air filter, people are getting 150bhp which I think is huge for a 1.2

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Correct.
Idle you should get vacuum and with a rev it may get to zero. The engine needs to be under load to show positive boost.

Small update. As its hot in Southend I thought I'd give her a wax, I've never done this before but she came up ok!
image.jpeg

Fitted a blue Vaccum line

image.jpeg

And also fitted a new centre heater as the one that came with the car didn't move at all, so it only blew in one direction

image.jpeg

That's it for now, might be buying a cup spoiler and coilovers next

And that turbo chatter tho

Have brought my cup spoiler and I was eagerly awaiting for it to turn up from when I woke up at 8 to 2. It's those cheap ones from Italy, £110 In total including shipping. I've never brought a spoiler before so I don't know if the quality is good ( it's a fake )

I brought the printed version for a few extra quid

I'm a little gutted actually because a few days after I brought it, real ones were on eBay for only £180.
image.jpeg

Another update!

I was watching the fast and the furious on my day off and I thought, im gonna buy a Front mount.. so I have.. And a couple stickers which I think are pretty cool

IMG_5244.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

it all seem to fall in place... now I just need a new front bumper as mines still ruined, paint freshen up and a full service and then ill be putting on the spoiler, front mount. after all of that comes the coilovers, 182 injectors, exhaust and remap!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Because it's a turbo car, bigger cooler + cooler air = better efficiency or so I've been told anyway haha
Haha I'd have done the same at one point. Sorry if I come across a c**k, I don't mean too.

It wont make any difference on your car unless the intake temps are high (which they wont be). In fact, it will more than likely make more laggy and therefore slower.

Haha I'd have done the same at one point. Sorry if I come across a c**k, I don't mean too.

It wont make any difference on your car unless the intake temps are high (which they wont be). In fact, it will more than likely make more laggy and therefore slower.

Not at all, just by research people who have had their TCEs remapped get a front mount and then the boost can be turned up a bit for some extra ponies

The hope is to get 140-150bhp :p

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That's fair. Once it's mapped it will help, in the mean time your baby turbo has to try and fill that pipework and i/c. It will move max boost right up the rev range therefore making it slower. I'd hold off fitting it until right before it's mapped if it were me.

That's fair. Once it's mapped it will help, in the mean time your baby turbo has to try and fill that pipework and i/c. It will move max boost right up the rev range therefore making it slower. I'd hold off fitting it until right before it's mapped if it were me.

That's exactly what I'm doing :p

As well as the injectors as the car won't know what they are

Update! After hours waiting on delivery the baby was delivered on time! It's a boy!

image.jpeg

Excuse the terrible picture.

Yes, a new front mount intercooler, can't wait to get this bad boy on

Clio RS 200 Gordini
I'm sorry mate but you'll never hit 140-150 in this.

I've had the same car, but newer with a full exhaust, induction kit, 172/182 injectors and a map and the most I hit was 137, but that was reduced as I had crap fuel to 130.

I can't comment on the need for a FMIC but maybe it'll give you 2-4bhp extra. The original isnt bad for the minimal amount of boost these run.

My old one was running 18psi and s**t the bed eventually :smile:. Also, they can't hold boost for s**t LOL. You'll need to get a boost controller on there. The torque drop off is magnificent.

By the way, the turbo is the size of a golf ball. You'll see what I mean but your high hopes if you just take the heat shield off and pull the pipe off, it's tiny lol!

I'm sorry mate but you'll never hit 140-150 in this.

I've had the same car, but newer with a full exhaust, induction kit, 172/182 injectors and a map and the most I hit was 137, but that was reduced as I had crap fuel to 130.

I can't comment on the need for a FMIC but maybe it'll give you 2-4bhp extra. The original isnt bad for the minimal amount of boost these run.

My old one was running 18psi and s**t the bed eventually :smile:. Also, they can't hold boost for s**t LOL. You'll need to get a boost controller on there. The torque drop off is magnificent.

By the way, the turbo is the size of a golf ball. You'll see what I mean but your high hopes if you just take the heat shield off and pull the pipe off, it's tiny lol!

Yeah it's pretty small, I mean I'm only going by what other people have had from there's, there was a guy on Sax experience who had one and got 167bhp with supporting mods, so 140-150bhp is more then enough for me, even an extra 30bhp would be mind blowing for me considering this is my second car :)