ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great work! I bet the manifold took and age to do, certainly worth the effort though :)

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but when are you hoping to have it all back together and running again?

Hey Joe, yes mate it took ages. I did it over a few days tbh.

Im waiting on the Supertech valves which i should have got 2 weeks ago. Id like it done for the end of next month if poss.

I haven't driven it since the end of September. :dapprove:

Many.
I have the MAD 10mm -1 on there at the moment but my rear camber is now -3 on the n/s and -2 on the o/s

So i have bought the alloy ones from Tom as i didn't like the camber and it was wrong.

When it goes to Mark Fish for its geo then he can fit camber shims to get it bang on. :D

I don't have a garage mate and if i had removed the engine id of ended up spending 8k. :(

Ill have to wait untill the heads back on so i can remove the sump and fit the bolts.

Ahhh thats fair enough then, I know how picky you are!

I know what thats like!

Certainly easiest to get the head back on, although you'll still need to get the engine higher due to subframe clearance I believe, not a job I've done with the engine in the car though.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Best way to do it. Otherwise you'd be very bored lol.

Oh right, that's a bit annoying. The first time you drive it again it will be great though. Looks like quite a lot of work has gone into this :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Update time. :)

So my valves arrived on thursday from the usa after a 8 week wait. :( Sent them off to ALD on friday so that they could be fitted to my head and the 3 angle valve seats could be cut.
Andrews crack on with the head today so it will be back with me on tuesday ready for the weekend. :D

20140403_182643_zpsd6f7d642.jpg

While ive been waiting for the head i have bought a few more bits and got a few things sorted so that it can go back together with nothing to hold it up.

Got a few bits painted to that couldn't be powder coated.

Etch primed, painted in 5 wheel sliver then clear coat.

PAS pipe was looking a bit sorry for its self.

20140315_170139_zps84dcbad7.jpg

Lots better.

20140322_165812_zps8fe18351.jpg

Id put the freshly plated bolts and powder coated throttle bracket back onto the TB, but the TB looked crap.

Gave it a paint and it looks like new now, much better. :)

In primer

20140323_163605_zps8312add3.jpg

Happy now.

20140324_145713_zps6d29c1f4.jpg

A set of ARP rod bolts and a sump gasket came up for sale on here, rude not to.

20140324_161522_zps930e976a.jpg

Sent a few more bits away for plating.

20140327_205049_zpsd259859b.jpg

Placed an order with Adam for a few bits, i bought the Meg 225 crank pulley which has a key way also my crankshaft damper was showing signs of cracking on the rubber. Didn't want to have to replace it at a later date so while its in bits a new one will be fitted.

O rings for the AC pipes and a new aux belt (the kit has only done 1000 miles) The PAS resivour was looking yellow so i bought a new one to freshen up the engine bay, wasn't very expensive.

20140328_184547_zpsf1970bce.jpg

Old PAS resivour

20140404_162825_zps46a9506c.jpg

20140404_164309_zps855601c3.jpg

Other bits that needed to be sorted was that the lower inlet and fuel guard need to be glass blasted so that they could be sent away for painting.

Blasted, ready for paint.

20140404_170133_zps032734ec.jpg

After Andrew @ ALD has ported my inlets.

20140404_170040_zpsfe583145.jpg

Fuel guard blasted.

20140404_170314_zps29c21820.jpg

The low pressure PAS pipe was looking a bit sorry for its self and after Adam saying that a new one was almost £90 i gave it a paint in sliver.

20140405_115302_zpsa85a2aac.jpg

As its stands at the moment, looking lots better.

20140405_175129_zps409f4f00.jpg

20140405_175144_zpsf04b4cd7.jpg

A couple of bits that i can not take any credit for.

I wanted the engine cover and inside shut handles painted in titanium body colour, after a few pm's to HMS Derv Destroyer the bits where sent off to him.
Not got them back yet (should be monday/tuesday) but these are the pictures that he sent me.

IMG_2168_zpsdeae41fe.jpg

IMG_4763_zpsc1ed02af.jpg

IMG_2424_zpsc2b504ac.jpg

Inferno 225 cup
Glad I don't have mine to be in competition anymore, reckon I spent the same though :/

You know my thoughts on this ph1 and it's by far the cleanest standard/ish ph1 Clio out there.

Love it Scott.

Many.
As discussed on the phone the other day, all much awesomeness. I don't know what to comment on as its all epic :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Subframe needs attention ;)

Once you get the head back and bolt all the bits on it'll just need a remap won't it and then it should be ready for summer?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
sunglasses on if you take the cover out in direct sunlight! about blinded myself :)

pleasure doing those mate, makes a change from painting side outs on cars !

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Glad I don't have mine to be in competition anymore, reckon I spent the same though :/

You know my thoughts on this ph1 and it's by far the cleanest standard/ish ph1 Clio out there.

Love it Scott.

Thanks Jacob, looking forward to seeing the Meg. :D

As discussed on the phone the other day, all much awesomeness. I don't know what to comment on as its all epic :)

Ill give you a call on Tuesday mate, are you still free on Saturday?

Subframe needs attention ;)

Once you get the head back and bolt all the bits on it'll just need a remap won't it and then it should be ready for summer?

Trust you....:rasp:

Got to give me something to do over the winter mate.

Ive been told by Andrew and Dan @ SJM that i can drive the car for a few 100 miles before it goes for mapping, (below 4.5k) so i can get the geo sorted and its MOT.
I will arrange a transporter to take it to RS Tuning

sunglasses on if you take the cover out in direct sunlight! about blinded myself :)

pleasure doing those mate, makes a change from painting side outs on cars !

Thanks for keeping me up to date mate, inlets will be on there way next week. :D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looks bloody sterling work there, what's the colour?

I went for body colour mate, titanium.

Im trying to keep it factory oem. :eek:

Inlets/fuel guard are being done in Luner Grey, im hoping the two colours will look good together??

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Looks bloody sterling work there, what's the colour?
Drove me and Andy bonkers doing tit'um
90 odd% flake ( think that's what Scott said... )
looked white in places, but out in daylight it's covered superbly. His grab handles look that amazing , I might have to do myself a set :)
it's had a light coat of light silver , 4 coats of colour( low pressure passes ) and double lacquer.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Like I said mate, if you don't mind traveling, I would of happily done your car properly first time round :)

i cant wait to see these put on the car.

Quick wipe down and some sealant that cover, engine bay will look the muts nut. ( CSS 14 best Clio ! )

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Drove me and Andy bonkers doing tit'um
90 odd% flake ( think that's what Scott said... )
looked white in places, but out in daylight it's covered superbly. His grab handles look that amazing , I might have to do myself a set :)
it's had a light coat of light silver , 4 coats of colour( low pressure passes ) and double lacquer.

Yeah titanium is 90% sliver with a little bit of tint added, thats why it pops so much in the sun

Why aren't you more local?!

looks awesome, a perfect touch for this ph1!

Thanks Ant, im looking forward to it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
This tread still makes me feel all happy inside. I do however, still think you're mental. Like totally bonkers.

Can't wait to see it finished though.

Those grab handles and engine cover are superb. If you're going to re-fit the engine cover, I have a load of gasket tape that should stop it from rattling at all.

ph2 172
I wish I had replaced my pas and coolant resovouirs, looks much cleaner.
The plated bits looks awesome. Loving the effort.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cracking stuff mate :)

Cheers Mark, thought id give you some more inspiration. ;)

Much awesomeness! !! oh and reservoir ;)

My spelling is s**t, cheers Chi. :eek:

Thanks Bobby, hoope to be driving it soon. :)

This tread still makes me feel all happy inside. I do however, still think you're mental. Like totally bonkers.

Can't wait to see it finished though.

Those grab handles and engine cover are superb. If you're going to re-fit the engine cover, I have a load of gasket tape that should stop it from rattling at all.

Flol, thanks Rob.

One thing has led to another, got a little bit carried away with myself. But if a jobs worth doing then its worth doing well. :D
Yes mate i will be sticking the oil filler down, if i do check/fill the oil then ill just remove the complete cover.

Took a few pics of the valve job

Setting the gauge for the seat cutter

4BF9712A-D473-422D-8585-A428320A162F_zpssfq1zxq0.jpg

Cutting the seat

F23731E9-B950-4D29-840C-E7B125143BFB_zps8ktb9bkz.jpg

Cracking work as always mate.:approve:

I wish I had replaced my pas and coolant resovouirs, looks much cleaner.
The plated bits looks awesome. Loving the effort.

Its the little things mate, i couldn't leave the old PAS reservoir.

Thanks for the comments.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I had thought about replacing the head unit for sometime and maybe fitting some kind of sub/bass tube in the boot, but if i was to replace the HU then it would have to be something plain and boring looking but of great quality to fit into the OEM of the car.
(im not a fan of lots of flashing lights)

So this came up for sale on here and after a bit of research it ticked my boxes.

Its a Becker Grand Prix, doesn't look very glam but will be perfect for the PH1 dash, it will also do hands free and run a sub. :D

20140401_214728_zpse03c0263.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
And about 6 others! Great unit Scott, I really liked the one I fitted to Alan's. If I wasn't waiting on te wee one coming I would've tried to get it myself!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So this week the head came back from ALD, the Samco hoses got delivered from Demon Tweeks and my painted engine cover and door handles from HMS Derv Destroyer.

20140408_181559_zpsffd1b6cc.jpg

Heads been ported, new valve guides and super techvalves fitted.

Sorry for the crap picts.

20140408_183608_zps0849911a.jpg

Engine cover is epic, can't wait to ge it fitted.

I will be giving it a coat of Carbon wax which will help bring out the shine.

20140409_194049_zpsbe0ce6f6.jpg

So today i got @AlexW over to give me a hand fitting the head and timing the 421's up, got the head fitted along with the cams.

Fitted the Meg 225 crank pulley along with a new dephaser, when AlexW tryed to set the cam belt tensioner he couldn't get the tensioner to sit in the correct poisition as the head has been skimmed 8 tho (shouldn't make a difference tbh)
Anyway i gave Fred @ BTM a call as i heard he does a bigger idler pulley, bigger pulley has been ordered and should be with me by next weekend so the fun can continue. :)

Cams nice and clean.

20140410_161603_zps096a5704.jpg

20140410_161618_zps31b69535.jpg

20140412_125511_zps326e28a8.jpg

20140412_145818_zps5608aa28.jpg

I know the cover is not ready to be fitted but i got excited and wanted to see what it looked like.

20140412_173511_zps1b55dc78.jpg

New oil cap, had to be done.

20140412_173524_zpsa7b0f6ed.jpg

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You beat me to it ;)

Hope its good after all of that.

I was expecting more :(

Head unit is good though, shouldn't look out of place at all.

You're prayers have been answered.

And about 6 others! Great unit Scott, I really liked the one I fitted to Alan's. If I wasn't waiting on te wee one coming I would've tried to get it myself!

Cheers John, it fits the bill.

Alan seemed impressed with it. :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Scott, I don't need more inspiration. I can never keep up Lol.

Although you do give me plenty of ideas. I'm changing jobs soon and they have a polishing machine, laithe, sandblasting machine, etc so maybe I might be able to get 1/100th as clean as yours.

I love seeing your updates though. As gray said, it really is super clean :D