ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sachs dampers or konis

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I have a choice .. send my sachs to get a refurb or get konis that will last more than 10,000 miles.
What do yous recommend?

The sachs are brilliant and dont get me wrong it makes the trophy special but really dont fancy refurbishing them every year.

M2 Comp
There's something wrong if your Sachs dampers are only lasting 10k miles before needing a rebuild.....

The Sachs dampers will be better than the Konis and from a resale point of view, your Trophy will be much more desirable with the Sachs.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@Dannyeff

If you are getting these done "Again" you have an issue , I recall these getting done not so long ago and yet they are needing done again ?
Im still running my original dampers with just over 50k on the clock and almost 10 years on the car and they are still running fine.

Read this -

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/dampers-are-back.763867/#post-10636517

As above try and get another set and if you are getting the done pay the extra and get BG to do them correctly

172 rag
What makes you beleive that Koni will last that longer?
In a different car they lasted less than 15K never on track but witn 888 always on.
Utterly disappointed tbh
Keep your sachs this is what makes the trophy so special.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Or if you want to try some different shocks up front then it could be worth selling the Trophy and buying a 182 instead. Unless you really like the colour ;)

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
We all know a guy that had them 15 minutes and they failed...

Koni do a good warrenty, on lark speed they say lifetime which would be questionable.. Rebuild cost buttons and they come back as new, a friend had some don't a few months back..

I've also had years of use from them and been happy...

The Sachs might be nice, but I'd like to see how many owners could actually out drive a normal 182.. I bet few owners on both fronts have the skill.. A micra could outrun me in a trophy.

Are you buy any chance using lowering springs?

Manufactures spend weeks tuning & tuning & tuning the suspension travels to be perfect, and then the numb nuts aftermarket goes and sticks on 40mm lowering springs (basically moving all of the damper's internal components either 40mm closer or further away from various bits which they were very specifically designed to be XYZ mm from) and hence the piston spends 10k miles smashing into the dividing piston or the bump stop into the seal pack and surprise surprise it needs a refurb :wink:

Frankly though it's pure luck as to how much headroom was designed into a damper. That's why you can lower some cars by 60mm on standard dampers without reliability issues and some others only 30mm etc.

clio 182 trophy
The Sachs might be nice, but I'd like to see how many owners could actually out drive a normal 182.. I bet few owners on both fronts have the skill.. A micra could outrun me in a trophy.
I can notice a difference between sachs and cup suspension. Around some of my favourite roads if i were driving both, i would be a lot quicker in my trophy.

172 rag
@dangerous dave
The guy was me not a friend of a friend :)
I am not 20 years old and I ve seen some quality brands what mediocre (in durability terms) products they make now ;)

To notice the difference between cup set up and a trophy doe not require skill but feeling.
If you have the skill you ll go faster if not...