ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ 16v's Cup Road Racer Blog.

clio 200 F4Rt
Ben, just seen in another thread you said Mark Fish will have some graphics on your car, what has he done to the car?

or is he doing some work in the future?

He has mine at the mo, fitting the cage for me. Needless to say you saved yourself over £1k by doing it yourself!

M2 Competition
Straight cut gears...

youtube some in car cams from racers and have a listen, usually sound like a bag of spanners.

Supercharger in that vid sounds like an upset kid with adhd.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ben, just seen in another thread you said Mark Fish will have some graphics on your car, what has he done to the car?

or is he doing some work in the future?

He has mine at the mo, fitting the cage for me. Needless to say you saved yourself over £1k by doing it yourself!

LOL 1k! bloody hell,

mark is setting up my ledas in feb!

M2 Competition
Matt, could you not have fitted as much of the cage as possible yourself, and then just got mark to weld it in?

Or got ben to fit it upside down :rasp:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ok, the car leaves for AWT at the end of the month, so there is kind of a rush on LOL

It needs to be a rolling shell and I want the interior sorted, I have decided to ditch the pollycarb windows until after the ring! Also I’m just sticking a mrk2 psh2 boot on for now, the carbon guy can’t do the boot until after the ring. (he is still fitting the carbon roof and bonnet before we go)

So the major stuff that needs sorting is the dash! Well thank god I’ve sorted this! Picking up a fibreglass dash tonight which can be bolted on....which is nice.

After about 8 weeks the carbon fibre grab handles turned up.. worth the wait though, the quality and strength is second to none.

35.jpg

26.jpg

As they were going to take a bit of abuse, I decided to pop rivet them through the door cards and into the steel skin, this will mean each time I have to remove the door card I will have to drill them out but, how often will that be LOL
Used 4.8mm rivets,

Got in the car first to check where I could fit them as the seats restrict arm movement! After a bit of *****ing, the right spot was chosen,

Pre drilled the all the 4 holes,

Drilled the first hole into the door card

Riveted the first one in

Then lined up the second and went from there!

Copied this process on the other side too

They look cool as f**k! And there strong too!

29.jpg

34.jpg

8.jpg

Next up was to sort the f**ked wing! When we first put the cage in the wing had got scratched to hell! It looked toss, so wanted it sorted! I needed to get the new cup spoiler prayed so thought this to be a good time to get it done!

The wing was easy to remove, the only sticking point was the two 10mm bolts behind the skirt. I had to remove the screw in the arch, then drill one of the rivets to get access without bending the skirt.

10 mins later... it was off and ready to take to the spray shop,

15.jpg

agreed a price of £220 to get the spoiler and wing sprayed. Was worth the cash as the finish is really nice when I got them back!!

2-1.jpg

5.jpg

25.jpg

14.jpg

7.jpg

re fitted to the car, well impressed

28.jpg

Next up was to fit the hubs ready for the LEDAs etc.

When I removed the old bolts from the wishbone they were rusty as fook. So I chucked them in the bin thinking they will only be a few quid from Renault... how wrong is was, the 172 hub to wishbone bolts are thicker than the 1.2’s etc and they will only sell them with a lower arm at £75 per side!

The guy at Renault tried to order them for me but when they came through they were the smaller ones from a 1.2, fitted them but they were way off,

23.jpg

3-1.jpg

it’s not just a case of picking some m10 nuts and bolts up either, as all normal bots are 8.8 steel, the Renault bolts for the ball joint are 10.9! I could only special order a box of 50 bolts , 50 nuts from the engineering shop at £60! Gutted

But luck struck! Managed to find a old guy in the corner of town who ran a CNC shop... asked him if he had anything? The guy had some 12.9 M10 cap bolts, HD m10 nylock nuts and washers in stock! These are easily strong enough

9.jpg

17.jpg

The driveshaft’s were still in the hubs, so I used the air gun to wip the 30mm castle nut off, the hubs were a bit rusty so gave them a clean with a wore brush and two coats of black hamerite!

Fitted the ball joints to the hub and tourqued the new bolts up to 90NM perfect fit :D

4.jpg

12.jpg

1-1.jpg

I had fitted the steering rack with new track rod ends from Renault, removed the covers and bolted these to the hub, tourqued up to 30NM

Next up was to fit the front LEDA’s and camber bolts. The leads were a great fit and I’m really impressed with the quality of fit etc, they were fitted in no time.

31.jpg

27.jpg

Fitted the bracket of the old shock too (the one that holds the ABS line)

20.jpg

Did the same on the O/S

Time to fit the Nimbus ally heat shield! As this stuff isn’t cheap I made a cardboard template of the main piece first, I cut it down to cover most of the bulkhead and any cables. Then laid this on the sheet and cut it out with the grinder. I then had to file and trim any loose edges on the sheet.

I met the sheet to the bulk head and began to bend it to the contour of the steel, using a rubber hammer etc,

With the main piece in place I used the fixings that I used on the door cards to secure it. Pre drilled the self tappers and screwed them in. The sheet was a great fit and didn’t rattle or sit proud anywhere!

Next I need to add the covers for the ABS unit and lines, lower loom cable and brake res/servo

Started with the abs unit, I used the same principle with the cardboard jig and copied it onto the ally! To fix the “add-ons” to the sheet I chose to rivet them (not to the body, just the sheet as I wanted to be able to remove the sheet in the future if need be!

Pre drilled and used the same 4.8 mm rivets to secure!

Did the same for the lower cable cover and the servo cover

I was very pleased with the final shape etc and the top bonnet seal was a perfect fit over the sheet

18.jpg

22.jpg

6.jpg

spent a good hour cleaning the PAS res and the water res in the sink (sorry mum) and fitted these :D

11.jpg

19.jpg

As I’m keeping the standard rad now, I decided to bring it to life a little! So after some time scrubbing it with brillo pads and cif it was ready to be painted! I removed the fan and bushes before I cleaned it

Taped up the edges and gave it two coats of prime, then two coats of alloy high temp silver, and a final coat of lacquer!

Looks better than it was IMO. I may get a alloy rad made in summer, but this will do for now :D

16.jpg

I also fitted my new door sensors I got from Renault (old ones were damaged when removing) oooppps!

24.jpg

Saturday I’m fitting the brakes and comp brake 2lb residual valves after I flare some new unions on!

30.jpg

My locking wheel nuts arrived too!

21.jpg

cup spoiler did too

13.jpg

fitted the cup racer tow eye.. ready to pull the car out at the end of the month

10.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
good job ben, coming along nicely. Expecting guests? that table is very well presented otherwise :)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
good job ben, coming along nicely. Expecting guests? that table is very well presented otherwise :)

lol na, my mum just has it like that. we only ever eat in there at xmas! what a waste of a room!

im starting to store parts in there LOL!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
glad to see the door handles arrived, not the quickest company are they! lol

heat shield looks spot on, i might have to invest in some if the valver bulkhead gets a bit warm! which i think it will judging how close the manifold is to it :eek:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
glad to see the door handles arrived, not the quickest company are they! lol

heat shield looks spot on, i might have to invest in some if the valver bulkhead gets a bit warm! which i think it will judging how close the manifold is to it :eek:

lol i got it from tweeks, it gets very very good reviews!

think it was £70

but worth it!

M

mini-valver

Looking mint fella!

Back to Alan.

"Alan, I did'nt know you could make toast in the microwave!!" "You can't. All you get is hot floppy bread...."

Weeman sucks ****
i'm amazed at the effort and money put into this!

are you a lottery winner? what's your background, mechanic, motorsport technician or something.

Top job Ben

VRS

are you a lottery winner? what's your background, mechanic, motorsport technician or something.

Top job Ben

bens background: warringtons king pimp! fronts his operation through a few "estate agents", his heavies include the infamous Sambo ;)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

Top job Ben

we have a family estate agency, did a few houses up a while ago etc.

samboRT work for us too (brother)