ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ 16v's Cup Road Racer Blog.

clio 200 F4Rt
i have the same cage. it doesnt require one.

and racking my memeory, i cant remember the last cage that i saw with a bar there.

but i am guessing these guys know something the rest of us dont?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
hmmm i didnt get a bar for there. there is a lower one and the main hoop.

too late now anyway lol

unless i buy a some cage bar... cut it to shape, weld some door bar brackets, paint it green and bolt it round the hoop?

Ad

MK2 FRS
^ no your not doing that... lol

cba taking all the seats out etc... maybe a future mod! Might not live to regret the decision if you stack it passenger side on the 'ring! haha

My trackday car is sort of an ex-clio racecar without the sadev box.
You can see the cage in the pic below and that bar mentioned on the previous page. Just because its not there doesn't mean anything FIA wise, the basic sparco cages are much most minimal that what you or I have and they are FIA approved.

If the worst should happen you are well protected.

Great project and excellent work.

186011-21.jpg

There seems to be quite a few very serious track cars being prepared at the moment which are obviously costing a lot of $$$$.........my question is why don't you just go out and but an old Clio Cup race car?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
My trackday car is sort of an ex-clio racecar without the sadev box.
You can see the cage in the pic below and that bar mentioned on the previous page. Just because its not there doesn't mean anything FIA wise, the basic sparco cages are much most minimal that what you or I have and they are FIA approved.

If the worst should happen you are well protected.

Great project and excellent work.

186011-21.jpg

anymore pics of the whole car?

aren't the harnesses mounted a little low down? I thought that Race cars had to have the harnesses mounted at shoulder height?

I'm probably completely wrong....
Nope your right have a read here (nooone takes any notice of whats recomended by manurfactuerers or the millions in R and D done for legal law requirments in racing/aviation/cars etc.
Where harnesses should be located.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=224554

surely if a bar was needed there designers would of added one?

dont ever see bars there on any cages.

i am guess the strength of the main hoop, coupled with being welded in palce etc provides enough.

unless you put a 'X' section in like WRC cars etc run.
No, jon's right.
A bar is needed there.
As said your right it does need a high up bar one thing to remember is there a certain seat type which are approved for the lower design mount but I don't think anyone on here has one.
FIA testing must of missed it then!
Just becuase its approved doens't mean its perfect.

There seems to be quite a few very serious track cars being prepared at the moment which are obviously costing a lot of $$$$.........my question is why don't you just go out and but an old Clio Cup race car?
To much sence and logic? Please want to be different for me I'd juats have a Cup racer for simplicity and road legal it.

Nope your right have a read here (nooone takes any notice of whats recomended by manurfactuerers or the millions in R and D done for legal law requirments in racing/aviation/cars etc.
Where harnesses should be located.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=224554
In an ideal world thats fine, but if your cage doesnt have harness bars at the correct level you have to make do with what you have available
I agree but if I by a car where the seat belt mounts are all completly rusted I don't drive the car round unil I get caught.

Whole point of a cage is for safety.

Ad

MK2 FRS
In an ideal world thats fine, but if your cage doesnt have harness bars at the correct level you have to make do with what you have available
I agree but if I by a car where the seat belt mounts are all completly rusted I don't drive the car round unil I get caught.

Whole point of a cage is for safety.

edde, rusted seatbelt mounts is a very different proposition and you know that...

Yeah ben and co could have gone out and bought a cup racer, but then its not something that you have built and specced yourself, you of all people must understand that and the challenges it faces rather than just buying an out of the box cup racer.

the projects add a different dimension to the club/forum.

anymore pics of the whole car?

Clio1stTracday.jpg

I have my harnesses attached to the rear seat belt fixing point. This is WRONG. Someone said there previously they are supposed to be mounted more horizontal back, that is right, the idea is that if in an accident the belt holds you, but when its low the belt will pull down on you and compress your spine.

On the build what sort of fuel tank are you going to use? What do the racing clios run with?

M

mini-valver

Good progress fella, Interior looks mint! What Fuel regulator are you using? IS it built onto the Evo pump?

80MPG BEEZA
ive mounted my harness's to the place where the rear seats used to be on the top pillars not the holdster holes

@ ben_p

Cheers,
There are a few engine mods, decat, full system, induction kit with a cold feed running from the foglight hole, rev limit raised and a basic chip that ups the fuel and that is really it.

But I had it on rollers about 3 months ago and with 95octane petrol, needed new plugs and the lambda sensor knackered it made 181BHP which I was well chuffed at.
I plan a set of cams and the 182 4-2-1 manifold in the near future. I have an FSE boost valve to fit just need the clio adapter.

So with these bits, proper petrol and it running right I hope 200Bhp is within reach.

Last edited:
  F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
@ ben_p

Cheers,
There are a few engine mods, decat, full system, induction kit with a cold feed running from the foglight hole, rev limit raised and a basic chip that ups the fuel and that is really it.

But I had it on rollers about 3 months ago and with 95octane petrol, needed new plugs and the lambda sensor knackered it made 181BHP which I was well chuffed at.
I plan a set of cams and the 182 4-2-1 manifold in the near future. I have an FSE boost valve to fit just need the clio adapter.

So with these bits, proper petrol and it running right I hope 200Bhp is within reach.

this clio adapter for the FSE you're talking about, its not the dummy fuel pressure regulator that sits in the rail is it?

if it is, then i have one spare, and if its not, please tell me what it is lol :D

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
@ ben_p

Cheers,

this clio adapter for the FSE you're talking about, its not the dummy fuel pressure regulator that sits in the rail is it?

if it is, then i have one spare, and if its not, please tell me what it is lol :D

this refers to the golf...

why do you need higher fuel pressure?

at higher rpm you actually need less fuel as the cams usually roll over... fuel duty cycles almost always drop off at high rpm as they reach the limit

the FPR on mk2 172's and 182's are in the tank... there is no fuel return line so there is no place for a regulator on the rail.. on the mk1 of course if you dont use the std fuel rail you will need an external one... there are a few that can sit in the stock possiton and be adjusted, or simply use a higher pressure one.

the only time to up the pressure is if your running out of duty cycle on the injectors... say 5-10% extra needed so its usefull to up the pressure there is the mapping cant take the fuel where its needed...

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

this refers to the golf...

why do you need higher fuel pressure?

at higher rpm you actually need less fuel as the cams usually roll over... fuel duty cycles almost always drop off at high rpm as they reach the limit

the FPR on mk2 172's and 182's are in the tank... there is no fuel return line so there is no place for a regulator on the rail.. on the mk1 of course if you dont use the std fuel rail you will need an external one... there are a few that can sit in the stock possiton and be adjusted, or simply use a higher pressure one.

the only time to up the pressure is if your running out of duty cycle on the injectors... say 5-10% extra needed so its usefull to up the pressure there is the mapping cant take the fuel where its needed...

i found this out when doing the f4r conversion :rolleyes:

later fuel rail with no return, using standard valver fuel pump so no fpr in tank, ended up putting the FSE in line utilising the standard valver fuel return etc

i could of just put a correctly rated fpr in there, but with the adjustable one i thought it might be handy just in case of any future mods (sh*t pretend you didn't read that, this engine is staying standard! :quiet: :rolleyes: ) plus i've got money to burn, so what the hell!! :D :rasp:

80MPG BEEZA
I have too many questions to ask so rather that hijack a thread I think I will start a new one.

What does having the dash flocked mean?

One thing I was think was get rid of everything and just have something like these
http://www.p1instruments.com/

its a coloured firbe thats applied to the dash with an electrostatic charge, the reason for it is to remove glare/light bounce off the dash ... in reality it just looks good

Weeman sucks ****
And the best thread ever award goes to...

Love this thread, that cage looks superb. Any idea of how much it weighs Ben?