ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's Supercharged Trophy

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
@Diesel Davis Aright mate - Im getting myself a 182 for the track and remebered your cage was spot on for what Im after...

Where did you get it from mate - is it one of the Mark Fish group buy ones?

Hi @Matthew

I'm using one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-05-ren...utograss-x1-/131567319145?hash=item1ea205f869

With the cross and extra harness bar. For the money they are very good! Make sure to fit them with proper spreader plates.
Quite a few people on the forum are using this cage, and rate them very highly!

Rob.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Rob - did you get it powdercoated yourself? Looked mint at CSS.

Cheers bud!

They do come pretty raw, and require a bit of preparation. Nothing to serious though!
I didn't actually powder coat them, I'm lucky that my mate @KrisRS182 who has fitted the same cage to his Clio, used to be a painter and still has access to the body shop where he use to work. Painted and lacquered them for me, I just helped prep the cage. He also painted my dash strips to match the colour of the cage which I think looks quite smart!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Got my CSS15 raffle prize delivered today!

Thank you @FinishlineUK

Looking forward to getting these fitted. Might give you a call and get the same pads ordered up for the rear also!

uploadfromtaptalk1438954128650.jpg

Got my CSS15 raffle prize delivered today!

Thank you @FinishlineUK

Looking forward to getting these fitted. Might give you a call and get the same pads ordered up for the rear also!

View attachment 133083
So I would have seen you there then receiving your prize.... ha ha. I was at the raffle

I won nothing [emoji20] All for a good cause though. [emoji106]

You got braided brake lines etc?
I'll be aiming to fit brake ducts as I bubbled/melted the "high temp caliper paint" and melted the OZ center caps off my alloys! So it's safe to say they were getting hot!

Look forward to a nosy at your footage [emoji106]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
So I would have seen you there then receiving your prize.... ha ha. I was at the raffle

I won nothing [emoji20] All for a good cause though. [emoji106]

You got braided brake lines etc?
I'll be aiming to fit brake ducts as I bubbled/melted the "high temp caliper paint" and melted the OZ center caps off my alloys! So it's safe to say they were getting hot!

Look forward to a nosy at your footage [emoji106]

It was mate! A couple of lads even managed to win three prizes each, lol!

Yeah I've got Goodridge braided lines fitted with ATE Super Blue brake fluid which seemed to hold up okay during the morning session.
I was thinking of painting my calipers and wasn't sure what brand to go for. Ideally not the paint you used! :wink:

It was mate! A couple of lads even managed to win three prizes each, lol!

Yeah I've got Goodridge braided lines fitted with ATE Super Blue brake fluid which seemed to hold up okay during the morning session.
I was thinking of painting my calipers and wasn't sure what brand to go for. Ideally not the paint you used! :wink:

Lol. Yeah I noticed! Lucky sods. [emoji41]

Yeah. Same as me. Have berembo HC disks and ds2500 pads. My fluids due a change, especially after Saturday. [emoji4]

I was confident with my paint choice..... Its all blistered! Fail. Got it from a paint supplier on eBay. Sells military paints and high temp enamel paint etc.
I used wire brush drill attachment and then cleaned thorough with brake cleaner before paint, so just purely down to crap paint!

Have a track decal of blyton outer spare if you'd like it? For inside of glass. White or yellow. The guy made me lots of spares. Lol.
Have one large about 6" in white and the others are 4"

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Lol. Yeah I noticed! Lucky sods. [emoji41]

Yeah. Same as me. Have berembo HC disks and ds2500 pads. My fluids due a change, especially after Saturday. [emoji4]

I was confident with my paint choice..... Its all blistered! Fail. Got it from a paint supplier on eBay. Sells military paints and high temp enamel paint etc.
I used wire brush drill attachment and then cleaned thorough with brake cleaner before paint, so just purely down to crap paint!

Have a track decal of blyton outer spare if you'd like it? For inside of glass. White or yellow. The guy made me lots of spares. Lol.
Have one large about 6" in white and the others are 4"

I'm running standard Pagid discs and pads, and considering they are non performance parts they didn't do too bad!

Did you paint the calipers whilst they were still fitted, or did you remove them? I've used Hammerite smooth in the past on my Toyota Glanza and never had any problems!
That's very kind of you bud thank you, but as much as I love a cheeky sticker I don't want any more. Only today I fitted an EVO and Pistonheads logo to the rear window and that's my limit!

I'm running standard Pagid discs and pads, and considering they are non performance parts they didn't do too bad!

Did you paint the calipers whilst they were still fitted, or did you remove them? I've used Hammerite smooth in the past on my Toyota Glanza and never had any problems!
That's very kind of you bud thank you, but as much as I love a cheeky sticker I don't want any more. Only today I fitted an EVO and Pistonheads logo to the rear window and that's my limit!

Pagid do decent stuff. They do track/race components too.

I painted them on the car as it's a brush job rather than spray. Shouldn't effect the durability though, just the finish (i.e. getting in all the nooks etc)

Yeah I used harmmerite in past on a few cars, but people say colour alters or paint peels when used on track. Hence why I opted for caliper paint, lol. Might as well used hammerite!

Yeah. No prob [emoji4] My cars getting highly stickered up suddenly! Have CSS15 in front window now and also the CS.net in rear.
Will be fitting a track decal of every track I've driven though.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Pagid do decent stuff. They do track/race components too.

I painted them on the car as it's a brush job rather than spray. Shouldn't effect the durability though, just the finish (i.e. getting in all the nooks etc)

Yeah I used harmmerite in past on a few cars, but people say colour alters or paint peels when used on track. Hence why I opted for caliper paint, lol. Might as well used hammerite!

Yeah. No prob [emoji4] My cars getting highly stickered up suddenly! Have CSS15 in front window now and also the CS.net in rear.
Will be fitting a track decal of every track I've driven though.

I used to work for Euro Car Parts and dealt with a lot of the performance parts. Those Pagid RS pads came very highly regarded, not cheap though!
Think I'll follow suit and use a brush, its much easier and cleaner than a can, you get a much more even coat too.

Every track!? That window will look like its from a bloody cathedral once you've finished! :wink:
I'd like to go round all the major tracks in the UK at least once. Thruxton is lined up for next month as its right on my door step!

I used to work for Euro Car Parts and dealt with a lot of the performance parts. Those Pagid RS pads came very highly regarded, not cheap though!
Think I'll follow suit and use a brush, its much easier and cleaner than a can, you get a much more even coat too.

Every track!? That window will look like its from a bloody cathedral once you've finished! :wink:
I'd like to go round all the major tracks in the UK at least once. Thruxton is lined up for next month as its right on my door step!

It is easier and neater. I did a decent job actually. Bought some artists brushes from home bargains [emoji41]

To be honest it'll only be a few tracks, the Clio is my work horse (500 miles to peterhead in N. Scotland this wednesday, minimum 6 weeks I'll be up there[emoji20] ) and don't get chance to do to many track days anyway. So will only be 4 or 5 max, their small stickers too. If it looks gash I'll fit them in rear side window instead.

Did you see the Monaco 172 on track!? It had an insane amount of stickers over entire back end!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
It is easier and neater. I did a decent job actually. Bought some artists brushes from home bargains [emoji41]

To be honest it'll only be a few tracks, the Clio is my work horse (500 miles to peterhead in N. Scotland this wednesday, minimum 6 weeks I'll be up there[emoji20] ) and don't get chance to do to many track days anyway. So will only be 4 or 5 max, their small stickers too. If it looks gash I'll fit them in rear side window instead.

Did you see the Monaco 172 on track!? It had an insane amount of stickers over entire back end!

Now that did look like a bloody stained glass window!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Saw this a few weeks ago when getting my clio MOT done at your place, along with @KrisRS182 was wondering If I'd find them on here. Love what you've done with it keep it up
That's very kind of you mate thank you!
I think I seem to remember you Clio coming in for its MOT.
I hope the car is going well and if you need any help or advice just give me a shout!

Rob.

Renault Clio 1.2
No worries yeah me you and Kris were talking about the headlights and best way of sorting them. I wish I'm on hunt for new engine as ours is bust. So it's all fun at the moment

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
No worries yeah me you and Kris were talking about the headlights and best way of sorting them. I wish I'm on hunt for new engine as ours is bust. So it's all fun at the moment
Sorry to hear that bud.

Is it an easy engine to source?
Surely they can't be too expensive?

Renault Clio 1.2
I've been looking and there's quite a few, anything between £100-£200, so quite reasonable. I'm hoping to do the work myself so could be interesting

Rob, what set up are you using for your rear 'false floor'? Is it just carpet or have you got some wood underneath? Just bought a 182 tonight and this is going to be my first job before I order the cage and seats...

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Rob, what set up are you using for your rear 'false floor'? Is it just carpet or have you got some wood underneath?
Congratulations!
I don't know about Rob's setup but I just bought a roll of car carpet on eBay, used a cardboard template and cut it to size. Cheap solution, fits perfectly and looks very clean.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Rob, what set up are you using for your rear 'false floor'? Is it just carpet or have you got some wood underneath? Just bought a 182 tonight and this is going to be my first job before I order the cage and seats...
Hi Matt,
Congrats on the new purchase! CSS15 really did give you the bug again! [emoji6]

Firstly once the rear seats and boot carpet were removed. I used a few sheets of dynamat especially over the exhaust area, and then on top of those went a layer of that sponge material that looks like it has a million different colours in it? (best description I can think of)
And where the seat bases are normally fitted there is quite a pronounced dip so I layered it best I could to raise the floor a little. Mine still Has a dip but not so deep, as I didnt want it too look dead flat or unnatural.
Then on top of that went a good quality automotive carpet that matches perfectly with the rest of the car.
I used the standard boot mat as a template and then cut the rest whilst it was temporarily fitted, then just pulled it down where the rear foot wells are.
All of this was stuck down using a good quality spray adhesive which has done the job perfectly mate.
I should of taken a load of photos but I'm one of those people that just cracks on and then remembers too after the job is complete! [emoji23]

Hope this helps bud anymore questions just give me a shout!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Here's a few photos from my 2nd track day at Thruxton last Friday.

I had a bloody amazing time, the track is really quick and I spun off whilst going through "church" at about 100mph... Luckily no damage to either the Trophy or myself. I just ran out of talent! [emoji6] the car performed faultlessly and the new tyres made a huge difference in the way the car could carry speed, which really gave me a lot of confidence.
Even after the spin!
I got chatting to a chap called Mark who very kindly took me out as a passanger in his S1 Lotus Elise which had a Honda K20A conversion. It was such an incredible machine, and I really won't rest until I'm the proud owner of an S1!

uploadfromtaptalk1442252736088.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252742810.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252750029.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252755417.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252761008.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252767872.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252774518.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252781932.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252787938.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442252800549.jpg

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome. Car looks great
Well jealous. I'm itching for another track day.

Pics/vids of the spin or it didn't happen... [emoji14]
Haha thanks bud!

I'm exactly the same I'm unsure as to whether I can get another one in this year. Especially after @KrisRS182 blew up his Clio out on track! [emoji6]

He can vouch for my spin though as he was following behind. Unfortunately his gopro wasn't on! [emoji17]

Eeek. s**t like that puts me off doing another. Lol. Hope he fixes it soon.

Shame there's no footage. Great to capture things like that. Bet you crapped your pants!

Hopefully be getting a work van supplied with new job and fuel card, so can just use the Clio occasionally and on track days. [emoji106]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Eeek. s**t like that puts me off doing another. Lol. Hope he fixes it soon.

Shame there's no footage. Great to capture things like that. Bet you crapped your pants!

Hopefully be getting a work van supplied with new job and fuel card, so can just use the Clio occasionally and on track days. [emoji106]
I surprised myself actually as to how calm I was as the car did a full 360!

I was coming down through "Church" and I had a E46 M3 behind me on my nearside which I was aware of, and knew I'd have to move over for him once we hit the straight.
Over thinking that completely mucked up my racing line and caused me to loose traction!

I surprised myself actually as to how calm I was as the car did a full 360!

I was coming down through "Church" and I had a E46 M3 behind me on my nearside which I was aware of, and knew I'd have to move over for him once we hit the straight.
Over thinking that completely mucked up my racing line and caused me to loose traction!

Fair play. You do get caught out when under pressure. f**k knows how racing drivers manage!

I had a similar experience, albeit a lot slower and less dramatic, at CSS 15.
On ushers corner I was under pressure from a golf on my bumper, fluffed the line and came in a little hot and just went straight on instead of taking the bend! [emoji14]
Was the emergency lane as mentioned in the briefing. I'd rather take it than risk attempting the corner and a visit to the gravel.

I was determined to "lose him in the twisties" and fucked up, bottled it and embarrassed myself. [emoji106] [emoji41] Ha ha
part of the fun I guess.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Fair play. You do get caught out when under pressure. f**k knows how racing drivers manage!

I had a similar experience, albeit a lot slower and less dramatic, at CSS 15.
On ushers corner I was under pressure from a golf on my bumper, fluffed the line and came in a little hot and just went straight on instead of taking the bend! [emoji14]
Was the emergency lane as mentioned in the briefing. I'd rather take it than risk attempting the corner and a visit to the gravel.

I was determined to "lose him in the twisties" and fucked up, bottled it and embarrassed myself. [emoji106] [emoji41] Ha ha
part of the fun I guess.
It's all a learning curve buddy!
No shame in making a mistake. I'm sure we're not the only ones!
It's how we improve upon them that counts.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Toying with the idea of getting a diff... As mine is used predominantly on road, with a cheeky track day here and there, I'm leaning towards a Quaife!
Have also been looking at the RS2 kits too, and after much discussion with @Russ_16v (Very helpful chap) Hoping to get something arranged with @Dan@SJM soon!
However both will have to wait until after Xmas! :wink:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
*UPDATE*
An awesome opportunity has come my way, and I have just put a deposit on a complete supercharger kit complete with ECU. Hopefully looking to pick it up, and get it fitted in January! To say I'm excited, is a bit of an under statement, lol!

So in reference to my previous post... Sorry @Russ_16v I won't be going down the RS2 now. However I will defiantly be using you to source me a Quaife :smile: and @Dan@SJM I will also be in contact to arrange the mapping on the Trophy after fitting. Much to the recommendation of @Cub.

Roll on January 2016!