ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing gearbox from the top guide?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I've got to change my gearbox and have read through the two guides which drop the subframe but I've seen a few people mention you can take it out of the top. Can anyone give me a quick step by step guide? I just want to try and remove the least amount of components as possible so I don't want to be taking off parts I don't need to. I know I'm going to need to remove everything I would to swap a driveshaft as well as airbox, battery tray etc to get to the mounts It just seems too small a gap to get the box out of the top :S Or is dropping the subframe easier for a first attempt?

Lionel Richie
out the top WITH the engine, it can be done apparently box only out the top, i can't see it myself

Easyer by taking the subframe off but I'm 80% sure that you can take them out the top done a meg that way but easy the subframe way

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Done it on a mk1 once, and on a mk2 1.4 16v (just to see if I could get it out) It's not fun, I'd rather drop the subframe

HBT 172 Cup
subframe drop would be a lot less stressful imo. Infact i hurts my head to take th egearbox out the top of the RS, all the wiring, cooalnt and PAS lines in the way :cry:

You can have the subframe off and away from the car in about 45 minutes, no brainer IMO.

330i. E30 Touring.
Out the top is my preference on the driveway.

List of parts to remove:

Battery
Airbox
front bumper
slam panel
arch liners
upper inlet
drain coolant
rad & fan (leave aircon rad connected if circuit still holding pressure.
Front brakes.
drain gearbox oil.
remove driveshafts (possible to leave them in at the hub and and just disconnect at box end, but for the sake of ten mins to remove these, makes it much easier.
Leave shocks hanging in place. Cable tie calipers to these.
Crank sensor, earths, reverse switch etc
main coolant hose (leave it connected at matrix end and tuck it over towards the brake servo.
loom from thermostat area- undo and tuck up over the top of the engine. Tuck PAS line up there too.
Gear linkage- mark before removal if you don't want to risk realigning.
remove 3x 13mm starter motor bolts.
Remove 13mm bolt holding subframe bracket to body on the LHS- Then loosen the nut on the end of the wishbone to fold it down. you won't be able to pull the box off enough if this is there.
Loosen bolts from box to block
dogbone, upper and lower box mounts out.
Spin out bolts holding box on- mark these in a bit of cardboard so you know where they go back.
Out it comes. Have the engine on a jack so you can manouver it out. I usually find that by jacking the engine up to get the box off, then lowering the engine to lift box out the top. Can sometimes be handy to have someone who can control thr jack while you support/lift the box.

Tip- you don't need to remove the exhaust mani or starter motor wiring. Just let them sort themselves out. Be careful when moving the engine up and down that you're not f**king the mani.

I've done about six like this now, quickest one being 3hrs 45 mins in and out.. Used to drop the subframe, but got pissed off with the subframe retaining nuts/clips breaking. This is much more reliable IMO.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive done it on a mk1, was quite awkward though and I reckon you'll struggle not to scratch the paint doing it (I didnt care, was on a tatty track car anyway)

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Thanks Budgie. I'll give it a go out the top, I can see it being a bit fiddly but hopefully it will go ok. I might take some pics to go with your instructions if I remember.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, lol.

Done about six out the top now. Probably another 6 or 7 through lowering the subframe and out of the wheel arch.

I've also taken one out the bottom of the subframe without lowering it and taking box out of under the car- never again.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Well I had a good go, but I couldn't manipulate it out. There just didn't seem to be enough movement away from the clutch cover to rotate the box, engine was right up against suspension turret. So after an hour of trying I thought the hard bits already done, I'll just have to drop the subrame a little on the nearside. The rear bolt sheared, so not sure how I sort that now, and the front one started off ok but then started to spin, what size swan neck do I need for the front as I only have a few and they don't fit.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Got it out in the end but it needed the front of the subframe dropping about an inch on the offside and two on the nearside. I'm hoping getting the new box in will go a bit easier now I know the orientation to get it in/out and the angle/height the engine needs to be.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's like a Chinese puzzle getting it out the top.

Its a lot quicker with the subframe down IMO.

If you're just doing a clutch change just loosen and lever the subframe down enough to pull the gear box far enough out to get to the clutch.

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL.

That's been retired now.

Scaffolding pole sorts anything else that's an issue. (;

Oh, yeah- worth mentioning i remove the box from the studs, then remove the clutch plate- gives you an extra 2" in the bay, which is always handy. Ahem.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Out the top would be a right carry on leaving engine in situ. Whip subframe off and out the bottom, fastest way.

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
You can tak bit out the top but when I did it you still had to drop the subframe enough for the gearbox end cover to fit between the subframe and arch gap to be able to rotate it to get it out. The only good thing is I didn't have to remove the steering rack or lines.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I just unbolted the steering rack from the subframe and tied it to the upper inlet so it wasn't hanging on the pas pipes. I definatly wouldn't want to try humping the gearbox out of a tight gap when the list of parts to remove isn't any shorter for top or bottom removal.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I done it on a DCI years ago as I was a young lad and got stuck at the captive nuts on the subframe! - wouldnt be in a hurry to do it again!

either drop the subframe or pull the engine with it if you must come out the top.