ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Halfords "Free Install"

Oyster Card
I'm going to buy a Kenwood headunit from Halfords at the weekend and get them to fit it to my mk1 Clio, it's still got the original fittings in so I take it I'll have to pay for an iso connector

I also think my wires are in a mess theres some unconnected wires under te bonnet too which might have something to do with the stereo I was wondering will halfords sort it out for me regardless of what needs doing.

I'm also not too sure if my speakers are connected as theres some connectors hanging down under the speakers, one thing which I have noticed is the sound when the hazzards are connected, does anyone know where this sound comes from if it's from the main speakers and I can hear it obviously I take it that they're all wired up, I can hear it coming from the left hand side.

Theres a promotion that means free install with the certain headunit and I'm wanting halfords to sort my wiring out as I've only recently got the car with no headunit in if anyone knows about the 1991 mk1 wiring and would like to confirm what the wires are if i show them a picture please say as it would be a massive help!!!

Skoda Fabia vRS
none of the stereo wires go under the bonnet

the noise from your indicators/hazards should be the relay clicking, is it coming out of the speakers ??

you wont have to pay for ANY connectors, it will fit straight in a Mk1 Clio no problem

Oyster Card
Oh right mate as you can probably tell I hardly know anything about headunits.

I thought most old connectors needed upgrading to ISO, baring in mind my clio is 1991 model by buying a lead which plugs into your old connector.

The lead under my bonnet is a sort of block with holes in (obviously one half of a connector the other part must have pins plugging into the connector under the bonnet, from memory it has about 10 holes in it and it's a small black box about 6x6cm coming from a lead off the battery I've no idea what it is as everything works minus the stereo (due to the lack of headunit I guess lol) I just assumed it was from that.

Anyways mate I might just buy a head unit of ebay as they're far cheaper there.

Skoda Fabia vRS
that one under your bonnet is the Renault 'mystery' plug, every clio has one, **** knows what its for, dont worry about it

not sure on the one inside the car

its easy to fit a stereo yourself, dont let some Halfords college part timer do it, buy the stereo from somewhere else and fit it yourself

Clio 182
indeed having worked and fitted a few radios at Halfords i would say do it yourself for sure!, very little can go wrong and with all plugs in tact you shouldnt have any problems.

Oyster Card
kk cheers lads might as well have a bash at it myself.

Heres my current wiring situation.
http://darrenjones88.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/clio2/wire.jpg

One other question is how is the headunit secured I assume it'll come with a universal fit cage or something like that, answer is probably so obvious but this is my first car and first attempt at anything other than motorbike engine related lol.

Valver
Hmm if I remember correctly I had to buy an adapter to fit my Kenwood h/u into my '91 clio RT.

Lol@your wiring, that looks a bit of a mess, im not sure what you need but that isn't going to simply plug in without a fight!

silver valver/hybrid
by the looks of it all you need to do is unclip that block with all the loose wires on it, then you should be left with half of that red block (if that makes sense) as that is the old style standard renault connector. then u will have to buy an adapter that looks like that red block at one end and the other end will have the iso connector which will plug into your new head unit. the later mk1 clio's came with iso plugs as standard the first ones didnt for some reason!

Clio 1.8 16v
the good old mystery socket aye? ...it's for the auto gearboxes i think.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone! :)

Oyster Card
Hi guys just a lil update, brought a brand new Sony Xplode of ebay for £55 picked it up and brought a Renault to ISO from Halfords.
Wired it all up and it didn't work after a few hours head scratching and armed with wire strippers, bullet heads and a multimeter I managed to work out that the Renault to ISO lead had the power leads round the wrong way, neg to pos etc..

Swapped them over powered it up and it's going excellent well pleased with it and at £55 for a brand new Sony with original paperwork you can't go wrong.

Going to buy some JBL 6x9's tommorow from my local shop for £26 and soon a sub and amp.

Cheers for all the advice guys was a ***** to do but I got there in the end.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Always a great feeling when you sort / fit something on your own! Well done chap.

Would advise against JBL 6x9's, but for £20-odd, that's not too bad. Just don't be too surprised if they break fairly soon.

Oyster Card
Cheers guys yeah so glad I didn't go with a Halfords headunit and pay the ransom prices they charge.
Is there a way I can get my headunit to be able to turn on without a key in the ignition, my old Clio used to be able to do that and my friends current Clio does it too.

Thanks again everyone!

6/468 17poo
to make a permenant live you need to swap the wires over which are in the sony lead coming from the back of the stereo,im sure its connected as a yellow to red wire or yellow to yellow you need to swap these over,im sure someone else will have a better understanding of it, but simple to do!
if i had one infront of me id show ya but cant quite remember the sequence!
Ryan

A Halfords installer told one of my mates that they couldnt install a headunit in his 306 as it would interfere with the electric windows!

Anything halfords can do, you can do for free!

Polo + Micra
yeah there is normally push fit connectors on the wiring for the hu on the red and yellow wires

iirc plug both the wiers into the red wire coming from the car if not try the yellow