ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #69; Clio 182FF

RenaultSport 182FF
Just out of curiosity, How are you finding the Heat in the car when it's been left out in the sun? Especially with all that insulation used for soundproofing! Made any difference?

If I'm honest there is no difference in temperature that I have noticed, obviously I haven't recorded this with a thermometer and got definitive results but I would imagine the difference is very small.

I actually stuck my hand in through the speaker hole and can report that in the sweltering heat it was cool as a cucumber :)
Because of it's part metallised/reflective polythene film it reflects heat and keeps cool in the warm (sort of like a paramedics protective blanket).

RenaultSport 182FF
​After CSS 2013 and experiencing McGherkin's LED Reverse lights I though I better get my act together seen as I had done the front sidelights and Interior bulb (Which I never updated :S, I will)

Arriving on the campsite the day before CSS at 10:30PM was least to say far from boring. The chaps had difficulty setting their tents up with torches and iPhone lights while I watched and made fun of them.
I think I may have thrown in a few sexual jokes towards Jared too!

Any way McGherkin's LED reverse lights certainly provided him enough light to erect his tent.... and the rest of the field :D
However I eventually grew tired of watching people struggle and besides I was tired... I made my way over to my hotel, which had SKY TV and a double bed (from which I had a few comments... Jealousy;))

Anyways, I went and did one better than McGherkin ....... 120 SMD bulbs :rasp:

S0820243_zps723b9b61.jpg

Before:
S0930254_zps09e1f6e7.jpg

After:
S0940255_zpsab222515.jpg

S0950256_zps0c378668.jpg

I noticed the difference between the bulbs weren't so much the brightness (although they were definitely brighter) but the direction of the light.
The LED's were crisp and the lines in the lens reflectors were direct, where as the standard conventional bulbs were just a hazed blur lost in the light cluster.

Before:
S0971008_zpse9e1dcbd.jpg

After:
S0981011_zps2b392f48.jpg

Before:
S0012001_zps2c17c7c0.jpg

S0022002_zps17bfbd22.jpg

After:
S0042005_zpsa2c90906.jpg

S0062007_zpsda8176f2.jpg

What they actually look like up close!
S0082011_zps60892cdb.jpg

Certainly makes a difference in the dark!

Comments welcome :)

RenaultSport 182FF
Lots to update, Iv'e been slacking :S

Anyways, the Turini's came back from refurbishment.
I decided to go down the route of having them wet painted in BMW Sparkling Graphite (I really took a liking to Tom Caz's turini's at CSS)

I then went all out and complimented the alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's!

Really pleased with the outcome :)

S0452065_zps62017f29.jpg

S0462066_zps7f6bb5ad.jpg

S0472067_zpsa0cf9512.jpg

S0433127_zps2d419925.jpg

S0473131_zpsd4528c57.jpg

Still looking tidy mate!
Jealous of the wheels. Any links for the bulbs, think I might have to get my hands on some for the DCi :D

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
​After CSS 2013 and experiencing McGherkin's LED Reverse lights I though I better get my act together seen as I had done the front sidelights and Interior bulb (Which I never updated :S, I will)

Arriving on the campsite the day before CSS at 10:30PM was least to say far from boring. The chaps had difficulty setting their tents up with torches and iPhone lights while I watched and made fun of them.
I think I may have thrown in a few sexual jokes towards Jared too!

Any way McGherkin's LED reverse lights certainly provided him enough light to erect his tent.... and the rest of the field :D
However I eventually grew tired of watching people struggle and besides I was tired... I made my way over to my hotel, which had SKY TV and a double bed (from which I had a few comments... Jealousy;))

Anyways, I went and did one better than McGherkin ....... 120 SMD bulbs :rasp:

You flatter me, lol.

My reverse bulbs are probably a little bit brighter, the CREE bulbs are stupidly bright, but you've reminded me I still haven't done my brake lights yet. FFFUUUU.

Car's looking good :)

RB Clio 182
Get them on and get some pics up, looks very nice mate :)

Ive had some alloys on a previous car done in bmw sparkling graphite, its an amazing colour for alloy wheels, im 90% sure im getting my ultraleggeras done the same in the next few weeks.

I just think darker wheels look better :)

RenaultSport 182FF
Still looking tidy mate!
Jealous of the wheels. Any links for the bulbs, think I might have to get my hands on some for the DCi :D

Thanks Buddy,

You should be ;) ha, I am very pleased with them :)

I will hold fire with the link as I have had some problems with them actually, they seem to flicker while indicating.
I'm currently looking into the problem to see if it is the connection on the light cluster unit or whether its the bulbs causing the problem.

Either way I will let you know the outcome mate.

RenaultSport 182FF
You flatter me, lol.

My reverse bulbs are probably a little bit brighter, the CREE bulbs are stupidly bright, but you've reminded me I still haven't done my brake lights yet. FFFUUUU.

Car's looking good :)

Iv'e always known that, tell me something new ;)

I dunno really would like to see them side by side, I may buy have to buy some CREE's anyway as to get a brightness equal to them I have to buy a bulb with 120 diodes :lolup:

When do you draw a line and say that anymore diodes are stupid?
I guess i'm pretty close huh?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, tbh having more SMDs isn't going to achieve a lot more.

Unfortunately you're too far away for a side by side comparison, just remember how far my bulbs were lighting up the touring field at CSS and compare that to yours lol.

RenaultSport 182FF
Get them on and get some pics up, looks very nice mate :)

Ive had some alloys on a previous car done in bmw sparkling graphite, its an amazing colour for alloy wheels, im 90% sure im getting my ultraleggeras done the same in the next few weeks.

I just think darker wheels look better :)

Ahh I may disappoint a few next, including yourself :rasp:

I put my thinking head on.....

Ohh for sure, looks more premium in my opinion.

RenaultSport 182FF
Yeah, tbh having more SMDs isn't going to achieve a lot more.

Unfortunately you're too far away for a side by side comparison, just remember how far my bulbs were lighting up the touring field at CSS and compare that to yours lol.

I may buy some 30w CREE's to see how bright they are :lolup:

Were yours 5w CREE's?

RenaultSport 182FF
So as Summer is over and winter is soon coming I decided to protect the alloys straight away.

I went down the route of 'Dipping' the wheels with PlastiDip.
I opted for the Clear variant of the spay can.

S0502070_zps7786cfa6.jpg

I first prep the alloys with Isopropyl Alcohol:

S0492069_zpsfb9707d8.jpg

I then spayed 5 even coats of PlastiDip covering the inside and outside of the alloy leaving 30 minutes between each coat.
The alloys were then finished off with another 5 coats of Glossifier.

S0533137_zpsa98e0252.jpg

S0503134_zps7c83d92c.jpg

S0493133_zps47f7ff88.jpg

The finished result:

They do look nice, however not as nice when it was naked in that beautiful Sparkling Graphite paint ;)
But then it keeps them protected and the beauty of PlastiDip is that it just peels off when I need it too.

Unfortunately the camera doesn't quite capture the true colour of the alloys in these specific photos due to the lighting and my camera lens, mainly they come up very dark however they look brilliant in person.

S0583142_zps15e97d9c.jpg

S0573141_zps0d654c78.jpg

S0593143_zps55993111.jpg

S0563140_zpse958f7dc.jpg

RB Clio 182
Probably is good protection mate, but i wouldnt want to loose the lovely brand new glossy finish they have until the winters over.

As above, i would have opted for some good old wheel sealant/wax, keeping them looking slick and new as this is what you have payed for.

RenaultSport 182FF
So........ :eek:

Picked up these bad boys up in April for much cheapness.

.Stevo.C.you legend :D (I told him he would get his moment, eventually:p)
Luckily my dad was working in Scotland that week so I had him collect them, rather convenient as it couldn't have happened at a more perfect time.

S0310035_zpse7b5895e.jpg

During June I rented out a rug doctor for the weekend, during the lovely sunshine it certainly made sense to do it in the open space of the garden.
I did my mates car at the same time to make the most of it, was a good laugh and enjoyed seeing the filth come out of my immaculate interior.

S0250028_zpse989490b.jpg

S0340038_zps14113bda.jpg

S0330037_zps9e67485f.jpg

S0320036_zpsb013fb39.jpg

S0280031_zps0b5c9549.jpg

S0270030_zps2771e01f.jpg

How disgusting was the solution was when I had finished?
A video to come :)

RenaultSport 182FF
I'd guess that it means the Plastidip could peel off the fresh paint underneath as well if your unlucky.

That paint is on the top though, well in that picture it is,

Plastidip is soft and it wouldn't do damage to that extent, you would literally have to Plastidip the wheels the day they were painted to do that surely?

Clio 182 w/ cup packs
I owned this car from April 08 with 35k to April 11, I sold it with 72k on the clock I was the 3rd owner. The second was a carpenter from Wolverhampton. He was using it as his work van, hence the dirty seat belts. The first owner was a mechanic who worked at Renault Wolverhampton.

I had no idea that the front bumper had been resprayed until after I sold it when I noticed that it didn't have the black bumper stickers so Im not sure what happened there.

I can explain the bonnet though, I had owned it for around 2 weeks when someone thought it would be funny to run over the bonnet and roof while it was parked on the road outside where I used to live. I tried to find a bonnet but had no luck so decided on a repair. When it was sprayed you could not tell, it started to crack after around 2 years, shame really as it did look perfect. Glad to see you found a replacement in the end. If you look carefully at the roof there is a tiny indentation just above the drivers side rear quarter panel, that happened at the same time. I'm sure you'll get on to that right away!

The spark plugs are worrying on it. I'm sure they were supposed to have been changed when the cambelt was done?!

The exhaust is actually the second exhaust. The first one had already been cut for some reason, and they had cut it in the wrong place which is why it rattles and blows! The back box eventually rotted away, I wanted to keep it standard so I managed to find a low mileage used one on eBay, did the trick for £100, not bad when they are £700 from renault.

I only ever had a couple of issues, it had a new battery, and a brake hose split while I was driving home from work. I managed to get a new steering wheel from renault while it was still under warranty as well as the rubber split - £500ish!

Glad to see it's still very much loved, I can't say I ever cared for it like you do, but it was certainly maintained and kept clean!

I gotta say, I was loving the thread until you changed the alloys and lowered it, I love the stock 182 cup stance and look, but that's just me!

I traded it in to a trader in Cheltenham as he gave me a very good part ex against a Megane 225, if you ever think about doing something similar, don't bother, the clio is better!

Clio 182 w/ cup packs
Here's a few pictures from back in the day...

y6u5y7a7.jpg

e5agered.jpg

abe5uqem.jpg

pydyda5e.jpg

epyty6et.jpg

atu7azej.jpg

yga9ebe3.jpg

aje9u5ar.jpg

Has it still got the neon lights in the footwell? It made me laugh when I discovered them!
a7esyger.jpg

Clio 182 w/ cup packs
"Hi Everyone! One of my first posts of potential Clio ownership is a problem...typical!

I went to go and see a Clio 182 last weekend. The used car dealer selling it had a 'mycarcheck.com' data check report print out which was dated as being done recently, stating that all was clear. I paid a 250 pound deposit and will pick the car up when he returns from holiday on May 9th. In this week of anticipation curiosity got the better of me and I thought I'd do my own HPI check (through HPI themselves).

All was clear apart from 'VRM currently recorded as having outstanding finance', dated '18/12/2006'. Car has had 2 previous owners (first registered May 2005).

Also claimed a mileage discrepancy as follows: (I'm assuming a mis-type, and should read 17,000, not 217,000 in the space of a year and a half..!?).

27-Dec-2006 DVLA 217,000 217,000
23-Apr-2008 NMR 34,000 34,000
01-May-2008 DVLA 35,000 35,000

I'm going to ring the number of the finance company supplied by the HPI check tomorrow morning to see, but it seems very odd that it would still have outstanding finance from 2006!? Also odd that the check he'd done through mycarcheck.com came back clear...? (for the record the dealer is a registered business and operates from his house, which I went to in order to view the car, so a quick escape with my deposit may be difficult...he also has 15 or so other cars up for sale, stored in a lock up where he keeps the cars. Also seemed genuine enough in person, but who can really tell these days!?)

Any words of wisdom on HPI checks and accuracy appreciated, and apologies if this in the wrong section! I know the final answer will come from the finance company tommorow morning, but hoped for some words of experience from the CS crowd to sort my mind out this evening (also where do I stand on my deposit if it does turn out to have outstanding finance?).

Thank you very much everyone!"
Just found this from BurnyC who was the keeper before you. Its quite interesting reading about the car. When I bought the car it showed 217000 miles on the HPI check, it turned out that when the previous keeper bought the car from Renault, it had 21700 miles, and either the DVLA or Renault had made a mistake. I corrected the mileage on the log book when it was sent off and assumed that would correct it.

I also cleared his Renault finance and received confirmation of this from Renault finance. Its disappointing that they never updated the HPI records. Still at least it got sorted!

Last edited:
  RenaultSport 182FF
Strange how you've only just come across it!

I'm guessing your Neil? I've got your address, well your old one anyway :p

I bought him at about 79k I think, he's on 102k now :S Ha a work van, to be fair the inside was immaculate other than the seat belts, it's clear to see it hardly had any rear passengers if any at all :)
A real mess under the number plate, the sticky back plastic has been sprayed over and it doesn't look good :/

Yeah Iv'e seen that indentation, good to know where that came from, although who actually does something like that?

It was slightly worrying about the sparkies but I guess they are easily replaced and don't really cause damage but just cause the car to run incorrectly.

Lol at Renault exhaust's they are just the worst, made of steel and then the tips are finished in stainless steel, typical froggies cutting corners
:D

Ahh I was wondering why the wheel was in such good condition, I don't fancy replacing it when it wares away, I do look after it though so hopefully it will return the favour of time.

Glad you approve, well up until the springs and wheels anyways :rasp:

The springs make it handle so much better, no body role and to me it sits perfect, I'm not usually one for that but it looks less like a 4x4 now.
I wouldn't take it any lower, thats enough to give it good handling, also without you knowing it doesn't look out of the ordinary 'low' like you can point out with some cars.

As for the wheels the normal ones look nice but I'm a fan of the look of the 182 trophy, just I wan't the luxury (I use that loosely) of the 182FF.
They give it a more aggressive look and anyway, they are OEM ;)

Won't be going down the Meg route, by June I will have my new car hopefully, a BMW!
I can then take him off the road and spend a lot of time and money getting him looking factory fresh.

Would like to stay in contact with you and i'm sure boxer would like that too :approve:

Thanks for the images!