ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

not getting full cut with P1

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Has anyone had experience with the GTechniq P1 polish? Can I expect much cut from using with a DA polisher?

I'm using a DAS-6, CG hexlogics heavy polish, light cut and heavy cut pads and I'm really struggling.

I was doing my bootlid and ended up stepping upto 4 passes with the heavy cut pad at full speed and reasonable pressure. finished by dropping down the pads again but today in direct sunlight I can still see swirls.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmm P1 is a strange one mate, I for one never got on with it at all. Sounded like a miracle product but never delivered i'm afraid.

Usually you adjust your pad to suit the cut but in this case it hasn't worked. Definitely sounds like a technique problm no offence but you've ruled out pad and the product can only do what you make it do.

Golf GTD Mk7
I genuinely think that 182 paint is quite hard. I ran power gloss with a CG cutting pad on my rotary on the weekend, and it barely touched it :S. I've done ford paint with my DA and that nearly went straight through.

How fast are you doing your passes? generally speaking an inch a second is a reasonable speed initially.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'd say and inch per second sounds about right, with overlapping sweeps. starting at top left moving right, stepping down then right to left etc. I was priming each pad, and use it till the buffer haze was almost clear / starting to dust. I tried applying more P1, then next time would spray pad with water as it's water based to bring it back to finish the pass.

Would a respray / overspray affect the toughness? Rear bumper has been replaced so I'd guess they blew in the bootlid to match.

I am a beginner so more than likely is technique but I've read and watched plenty of guides so not sure which way to change to.

Golf GTD Mk7
you might have got the pad too wet. The key is not to use too much polish also otherwise the pad absorbs too much and remains too damp. Priming it as you mentioned is a good idea. An initial spritz with water/detailer is fine, but after that water application should be minimal. That's the way I do it, but techniques vary.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's a actually a waterbased polish Jonny, It gives long work times ect... so it's hard to compared to other polishes.

Golf GTD Mk7
fair enough, but surely too much lubrication will restrict the cutting action of the polymers?

BG 182
+1 for the 182 paint being hard. Try it with not so much pressure, and even with just the weight of the machine. Should give you longer to work with the product and make sure it's fully breaking down and doing it's job.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Should I work it until it starts to dust? I did this once or twice but generally waited until the residue hazed clear. in GT own videos they sprayed the pad with water so presumed I should do this 1st before apply more polish to pad.

I'm contemplating getting the mezerna sample trio and see if this works any different, but I liked the idea of it being water based and the fact that as i'm learning, I could use 1 polish and get the hang of the pads first and not multiple pads multiple compounds to get through.

I will play around with pad pressure when I do the next panel.

BG 182
I'm probably at the same experience level as you by the sounds of it, i've got the menz polishes and i find the power gloss very dusty, intensive polish is quite dusty aswell. I'd say it's definitely worth having the different polishes to play with, all helps in the learning stages.

Megane R26
The single most overrated product eveerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I hate the stuff, I'll stick to my Menz and 3M thanks.

On LY, you should be fine with Menz 3.02 or 203S and a polishing pad. Buy some decent polish :)

I bought all of the GT range and swiftly sold most of it. The C3 is nice, but its rebottled JML spray wax lol. C4/5 are great tbh.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
If you're going to use heavier compounds, a rotary is manditory!! DA should only be used for finishing imo.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The single most overrated product eveerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I hate the stuff, I'll stick to my Menz and 3M thanks.

On LY, you should be fine with Menz 3.02 or 203S and a polishing pad. Buy some decent polish :)

I bought all of the GT range and swiftly sold most of it. The C3 is nice, but its rebottled JML spray wax lol. C4/5 are great tbh.

Your thoughts on P1? what didn't you like about it / preffered the others for?

If you're going to use heavier compounds, a rotary is manditory!! DA should only be used for finishing imo.

In the hands of a beginner? Not sure I'm that brave

Bumder With A Buffer
I used my DA twice before selling it and getting a rotary. If your a complete satchel then yes you may burn through.