ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First Detail Is Nearly Here...!

Mercedes C320!
hey...

I have been into detailing for a while now but this month i finally took the leap and ordered alot of kit such as...

Snow foam
Lots of different clothes
Lots of brushes
Wax
Clay Kit
Loads of other bits and bobs
But the all important Kestral DAS-6 DA

However i have a question...with the DA i got...

Kit Contents:
Machine Polisher with UK plug
5" Backing Plate for use with 6" pads
6" Backing Plate for use with 7" pads
2 Position Soft Grip Handle
Spare Motor Bushes (x2)
Wrench & Manual
Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Cutting Pad
Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Polishing Pad
Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Finishing Pad
#80 Dual Action Cleaner Polish 946ml
#83 Dual Speed Glaze 946ml

From what i can understand i use the...

#83 Dual Speed Glaze 946ml with the Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Cutting Pad
And the...
#80 Dual Action Cleaner Polish 946ml with the Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Polishing Pad

But what i dont understand if that is right then why do i need the Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Finishing Pad...?

Sorry it is very long winded but any help in which products to use together would be great!

Thanks Luke :D

Barge
I'm sure JD or AR will be able to give you some help. No doubt they'll be along shortly. Good luck with it. Post pics when you're done.

Porsche Boxster987S
you will need the softer polishing pad for your last stage along with a finishing polish. That will remove the light swirling etc after the cutting or buffing stage.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i read this last nite at about midnight and thought WTF! I'll look at it today.

My advice to you would be Get a 3.5in backing plate for wee pads. Clio's, hot hatches can not be done effectively without a small pad.

Pad grades range from Wool, Extreme cut to a feel that like my pillow!!

With your kit. Try the Cutting pad with the #80, then to refine use the finishing pad with the #83. As you mention the middle pad may be needed for that extra bit of cut.

Have fun.

200 Gordini
#83 Dual Speed Glaze 946ml with the Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Cutting Pad
And the...
#80 Dual Action Cleaner Polish 946ml with the Softbuff™ 2.0 7" Polishing Pad

83 is the polish and 80 is the speed glaze

Depending on the paint condition you would use the cutting pad first and then the finishing pad to refine the finish.

Mask of a 1 x 1 foot square. Start with the least correcting abilities for example the 80 speed glaze with the finishing pad. If this doesnt work then go with the 83 on a finishing pad.... if it still hasnt knocked them out then go for the 83 on a polishing pad... then cutting pad.

When you have done the car with the polish and pad combo that knocked out the swirls etc then refine the finish with the 80 speed glaze and the finishing pad.

Take a look at the machine polishing guide for an in depth explanation of what i just said.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Shouldn't need to mask bits. It's a bit of a gimic tbh. A test patch in your own head is easy enough to do. But if you find it easier this way, horse on, i used to do it.

200 Gordini
Shouldn't need to mask bits. It's a bit of a gimic tbh. A test patch in your own head is easy enough to do. But if you find it easier this way, horse on, i used to do it.

I dont mask a bit either but he'll be able to focus on that one area

Now I've read it, the Megs range isn't all that tbf. I started with it, but actually took me three times longer than with the Menz range. I know Ali will big up the 3M range, but I am yet to try.

Make sure that you take your time. Mask off the Plastics and rubbers. I say this, not because getting polish is out a pain in the arse (it's not that bad) but it will actually age your plastics and rubbers.

Think the rest has been said about the Glaze being the finishing product. I didn't like the glaze in all honesty and found the Final Finish or SRP gave much better results once the swirls were removed.

Make sure that once you have polished, you seal then wax the paint work. If you leave anything out, make sure it is not the sealing process as this is the stage that really protects the freshly polished paint work.

Paul; it's like a trend now a days lol, bit like DODO ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
3M...hummm. Not for Reno paint imo. Also wouldn't recommend it for DA application.

You confuse me now you have too many cars, I never know what the hell you are using for which car lol!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
2! lol! BM's a mess, but not that bothered with it at the mo. Will get ti resprayed at somepoint, then show it some loving! It's going Hartge i think! ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Jsut bumper, bonnet and skirts. It's been done before!! Bought the car dirty! So wasn't obvious. Pisspoor job done tbh! Same colour! :)

ST
whats with all the detailing on here now??:S lol good luck with it mate:)

Indeed...but remember Pauly everyone is a 'detailer' now (they use G220's :quiet:)...you don't have to browse for more than 5 mins in DW to see this pattern...don't worry, no one is cutting our grass son ;)

Porsche Boxster987S
Indeed...but remember Pauly everyone is a 'detailer' now (they use G220's :quiet:)...you don't have to browse for more than 5 mins in DW to see this pattern...don't worry, no one is cutting our grass son ;)

love you tbh. You say what i feel <3

interesting text for you coming up. A certain young female wants a shot of your motor;)

love you tbh. You say what i feel <3

interesting text for you coming up. A certain young female wants a shot of your motor;)

Harsh calling me a female. And I want a shot of Alan's engine room to be honest.

OK going to stop this now, starting to get turned on ;)

x

Mercedes C320!
hey ppl thanks for the replys...

I have already started it tonite...so first of all i hoovered the interior, cleaned the leather and glass and all that cr*p.

Once all that was finished i moved on the the outside...so firstly i snow foamed it and when that was dwelling i used a small detailing brush to get in the cracks. I then jet washed that all off and used the 2 bucket method to wash it. When i was washing it i made sure i did all the door shuts and that aswell. Once i had dried it i cracked on with the claying, which to be honest didnt bring up to much!

And thats how it stands at the mo until the morning!

I cant wait now to have a go at the DA... just hoping it all goes well!

Oh btw it isnt a clio, its a fiat coupe 20v turbo and i also ordered the 4" pads with the kit so i could do the bumpers and the very small wings!

Thanks again for you help every1! :)

clio 172 cup
whats with all the detailing on here now??:S lol good luck with it mate:)
ano am goin to have to stop comeing in this section because i order something new everytime a read threw this section and its costing me a fortune

Porsche Boxster987S
hey ppl thanks for the replys...

I have already started it tonite...so first of all i hoovered the interior, cleaned the leather and glass and all that cr*p.

Once all that was finished i moved on the the outside...so firstly i snow foamed it and when that was dwelling i used a small detailing brush to get in the cracks. I then jet washed that all off and used the 2 bucket method to wash it. When i was washing it i made sure i did all the door shuts and that aswell. Once i had dried it i cracked on with the claying, which to be honest didnt bring up to much!

And thats how it stands at the mo until the morning!

I cant wait now to have a go at the DA... just hoping it all goes well!

Oh btw it isnt a clio, its a fiat coupe 20v turbo and i also ordered the 4" pads with the kit so i could do the bumpers and the very small wings!

Thanks again for you help every1! :)

a sensible start. Rewash it after claying though and make sure the paint is bone dry before touching it with a machine. Pick small sections and mess about with different techinques and combos to see the different results and decide on the most effective