ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new steering rack bushes, huge improvement.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Just wanted to report that I had new steering rack bushes fitted and its a huge improvement. Obviously it depends on how bad the old ones were. Cant report much about fitting as I botled it and paid someone. All in the best £100 yet on the car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If the old ones are shot to pieces then at best its bad for the handling, at worst its actually dangerous.

vital component to be in proper working order.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Took someone who'd never done it before(on a 172/182) over 3 hours on his own. He did not drop the subframe. Just said access was horrid.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
First time I did it I think it took me about an hour, it really helps if you have a good selection of 13mm spanners and ratchet spanners and various length extension etc.

Subframe doesnt need to be dropped.

I think on a ramp it would be a doddle, I was lieing on the driveway though.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
These are the old ones.

20130211_124537.jpg

As chip said use Adam..... He is the cheapest genuine parts supplier you will find.

Adam at Renault autoworld on 01902439264

Username on here is "left site"

182 ff
i got new steering rack fitted last week(smi) u get new bushes and 2 new track rods ends all in cost is £316 if you trade old rack in,feels so much tighter,not sure if that due to track rod ends,

Renault Clio RS182
Might sound a daft question, but i'm sure i read somewhere that you need a set of 4. Is this the case? Just checking before i order some tomorrow along with all the other bits and bobs for a front end refresh. :eek:

Renault Clio RS182
Well that would be logical, but i read in another post that people had bought 4...unless i'm totally missing the point and they were talking about something else haha been a long day!

2003 Clio 172
Roll bar bushes.......wishbone bushes.......that's the only two 4's upfront that I know of

RB 182
Whats the tell tale signs that the bushes are knackered, or is it a visual thing?

Mine made a horrid cracking noise when it was cold and you turned the steering, then as Chip says, vagueness in the steering, mine bordered on dangerous, get halfway round a corner, the rack would move and I'd have to turn in more, also pulled all over the place on an uneven surface under acceleration. The marks on my rack when changed them showed it was moving side to side by about 10mm....it can't move any further as the driver side mount has a bit on it to stop it moving any further. Needless to say, the car feels awesome again now I've done them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How do you know if they need replacing and don't look like the ones in the OP's photo?

You need to check for movement in them.

Jack it up, with the steering lock on, and get a mate to try and steer the road wheel by pushing and pulling it and see if you can detect any movement in the rack as he does it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How do you know if they need replacing and don't look like the ones in the OP's photo?

very simply, with a prybar, lever the rack from side to side. If it shifts across and stays there the bushes are shot. There will always be a bit of movement as it's a rubbermounted rack, but it should spring back into place. They usually look in poor condition on the bits you can see by this point anyway

03 clio sport asc
mine were shot on my my 182 Cup, luckily the mechanic setting up my camber and tracking noticed it, couldnt get any sense out of Renault Australia as they tell me with my VIN number the car could have any of 3 different racks and they may or may not be different bushes but different part numbers, I ended up using some of a 172 wreck and have been working well.

2003 Clio 172
I wonder could these be responsible for knock as well seeing as the bush seems to hold say, a 1mm gap between the metal of the rack and the mount on the frame......

Hmmm

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
What sort of knock are you getting Andy?

I have a pair of these bushes to go on mine - as well as some other fresh front end bits
My steering is all over the show :dapprove:

2003 Clio 172
What sort of knock are you getting Andy?

I have a pair of these bushes to go on mine - as well as some other fresh front end bits
My steering is all over the show :dapprove:

A really fckn annoying one bud ;)

Going over rough surfaces I get a really low sounding knock, sounds like the bulkhead but hard to be sure

tre's all replaced and bottom joints/top mounts a couple of years ago.

I pulled at the inner tracks and couldn't see any play

would be interested to hear how you get on and if it helps mate

A

Last edited:
  GSXR + KDX220
Have you checked the bottom ball joints lately? I replaced one about a year ago but it was only a cheap one and its got play already, very noticeable over rough surfaces like you described.

"Navy" N17 TWO
A really fckn annoying one bud ;)

Going over rough surfaces I get a really low sounding knock, sounds like the bulkhead but hard to be sure

tre's all replaced and bottom joints/top mounts a couple of years ago.

I pulled at the inner tracks and couldn't see any play

would be interested to hear how you get on and if it helps mate

A

I'll keep you posted on how I get on, I have the bits you have mentioned to be changed too (wishbones, ARB bushes & TRE's)

Mine's like a 1 man band everytime I run over a f**king twig!