ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New iPhone this October??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not moaning for the sake of it, I'd bought into a technology and have a £300 dock I use to charge my phone at night and play music on, if I can't use it I'll be pissed.

That really isn't the point though.

A lot of us bought ipod/iphone docks believing if we stuck with apple we would be able to continue to use it.

Luckily my dock is a cheapo £50 one, but it combines a radio/alarm and makes charging by my bed very simple. Plus I don't really want to spend more money on the dock as it is perfect, but I do want the new iPhone (well I might)

If I had spent mega bucks on a Bose dock and added a £2k option to my ferrari to add an iPhone dock I would be mega pissed off.

Right and what is stopping you using it? Apple has never promised that they would keep the 30pin connector.

I will double check but I don't think Apple are forcing you to upgrade? Keep your current phone. Use the docking station/stereo and you're fine.

There's going to be $10 connector from Apple and within about a week there will be thousands on eBay for pennies anyway.

^^this. I have the Bose dock, and the big, square, Apple dock. I'm not worried. There will be hundreds of bits for them within a week.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Until next year when they change it again.

You think they will? I'd hazard a guess that the new connector will remain on situ for at least 5 years.

Think back to when the current design first appeared on an iPod. When was that?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I think I was getting confused with the click wheel in that case. Something was new around the time of the mini.

But it hasn't always, the first iPod was FireWire wasn't it?

Edit: just checked, dock connector came in in 03, for the 3rd gen iPod

Citroen DS3 DSport
Right and what is stopping you using it? Apple has never promised that they would keep the 30pin connector.

I will double check but I don't think Apple are forcing you to upgrade? Keep your current phone. Use the docking station/stereo and you're fine.

There's going to be $10 connector from Apple and within about a week there will be thousands on eBay for pennies anyway.

+1. Your dock will continue to work with your current iPhone, future compatibility is never guaranteed.

Well limited in that sense, yes.

But 3.5mm jack carries no song/playlist info or anything like that. It's just sound.

The cable that I use for hard-connecting my iPhone into the car won't work. RAGE!

Or I could just buy an inevitable adaptor.

DB.

BMW 440i
Well limited in that sense, yes.

But 3.5mm jack carries no song/playlist info or anything like that. It's just sound.

Ah, I get you now.

My Clio headunit was set up like that, the Golf is a specific iPod one with more compatibility, but tbh, it's easier to just unplug it and change it! lol

Listerine & Poledo
Doesn't matter to me. 80Gb Classic FTW.

Unless they do an Iphone with more than that, it wont become my primary music device.

I have two old iPods that live in my glovebox.

Too many times of driving along, getting out the car, walking to wherever and realising I left my iPhone in the car plugged into my HU.

Listerine & Poledo
Good man :)

Yep, the classic hasn't left the armrest of Listerine since I got that Kenwood installed.... Really should update my playlists.

Bit more Pet Shop Boys, some some Abba.... some bits from Guilbert and Sullivan.........

I want one with wireless. So then I don't have to bring it in and plug it in to sync. All my new music will sync when it detects my home wifi while still parked outside.

First world problems right there.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Well you can get an add-on for 30pin. You can't gain more data out of a 3.5mm jack.

Sure you can, just not high data rates. You could easily get track information transferred without affecting audio quality or breaking any compatibility with existing stuff.

But at the end of the day nobody would use it!

Listerine & Poledo
Too many times of driving along, getting out the car, walking to wherever and realising I left my iPhone in the car plugged into my HU.
Nothing more annoying than this.

EDIT: Sorry, it's a meme template, but it fits so well to the conversation

1bhf.jpg

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I think i'm going to buy this on launch day this year - I've only just got my 4S (4 months ago!). I should be able to get a good trade in price at the moment.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I'm just trying to work out how long they honour the prices for - just wondering if it's worth setting a "deal" up now instead of waiting Problem is, I need the phone for work so I can't really send it off before I get another one!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I was half listening to BBC news this morning, they say the new iPhone will be 'launched' in the next few days.

I presume they mean announce?

Yeah but look at the small print on that Orange one..

By sending your phone to us you will be agreeing to sell your phone to us for the price applicable for the condition that we apply to your phone, and not necessarily the price shown above.

They'll take 10% off for..

Device has visible scratches or gouges.

Orange can GTF.

To this day, my 4 still doesn't have a single blemish anywhere. Literally box-fresh.

The most robust phone I've owned.

Mazuma etc give you a price and you can reject it and they'll send it back to you.

But Orange say that once you've sent it to them then it's theirs and you have to accept what they offer you. Mine only has a small scratch on the bottom corner but that's probably enough for them to take 10% off.

As I've said before, I'm a fan of keeping my phones anyway. It's great to compare them side-by-side in the following years. Makes one more able to appreciate advances IMO.

From all of the phones I still have, iPhone was the one that revolutionised the market. Then Samsung got pissed and blatantly copied it.

I'm not high roller enough to keep a £300 iPhone for the sake of a comparison in a years time. Lol.

If I want to do that, I know enough people with iPhones, someone will still have a 4S.

Well yeah that's fair enough. It's just something I do.

EDIT: BTW I was thinking more like 10 years. I was using mobile phones while you were playing Sally stink finger.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, I've already got my envirophone order in, the envelope came yesterday but have done the orange one too.

My 4S is mint, not a blemish on it, so might risk orange.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I dislike all of you with fully working phones and your good "trade in" prices.

DB.

BMW 440i
Hmmm, I've already got my envirophone order in, the envelope came yesterday but have done the orange one too.

My 4S is mint, not a blemish on it, so might risk orange.

I'm tempted too tbh.

Think I may apply Monday, giving me 14 days from then which should hopefully be long enough/just short of to get my new iPhone from an O2 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.