ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 205 Gti

ST1050, 320d
Hello all, thought I'd share a few pics of my 205 which i've gradually been working on when time and money permits; heres some pics of when I first bought it (phone pics, sorry)

pug1.jpg

Photo-0037.jpg

pug3.jpg

As you can see, looking a little bit tired having spent 3 years lying dorment. It wasn't in shocking condition but a few bits needed doing; OSF wing was rusted (strange as all the panels are galvanised from the factory) as was the bonnet which hard started to bubble, battery was flat, valance was cracked and there were various bodges which annoyed me haha. On the plus side, bilstein shocks and lowering springs were already fitted, as was a Janspeed backbox which sounds alright and looks quite nice, otherwise it is completely standard.

Since then I've replaced the front bumper, bonnet, OSF wing and arch moulding, dyed all the plastic trim, bought a new battery, had the slam panel colour coded from the horrible beige and generally replaced any bodge jobs with proper parts. She just needs a good service now, some new tyres and she should be good to go. Heres a couple of pics as she stands now;

17042010627.jpg

proper side repeaters and new bumper on

20042010629.jpg

with new valance in place

So yeah, not too much more to do, couple of bits and pieces and hopefully she'll be on the road for some summer fun :) comments and criticisms welcome

Golf GT TDI
good work i have a 205 gti project aswell.

i will say you need the original orange indicators on the front

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Would love one as a second car, can't tell from the pics but is that the lovely dark grey colour they came in?

ST1050, 320d
Indeed, its a graphite grey, best colour imo. Sorry about the pics, i'll get hold of a camera and get some better ones. I briefly considered orange indicators but I quite like the clear ones, at least I got rid of the clear side repeators eh? haha

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Orange looks best on the wing and clear on the front agreed.

Could you own one as a daily?

Golf GT TDI
Indeed, its a graphite grey, best colour imo. Sorry about the pics, i'll get hold of a camera and get some better ones. I briefly considered orange indicators but I quite like the clear ones, at least I got rid of the clear side repeators eh? haha

so many people put the clear fronts on its nice to see the ones that came with orange still have orange but yeh least you changed the sides they did look s**t lol

if you ever consider it again, do it:D

i used mine for work etc while in a stop gap between my old 306 gti6 and my 172 and it was great

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Makes me feel a bit guilty about turning mine into a track car when I see nice clean ones liek this :eek:

Does look really good though :cool:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I love them and i've never even driven one! :(

The steering wheel looks big. The 106gti is the most fun i've had in a car so if this was close i'm sure i'd fall in love!

DMS

A thirsty 172
106 GTi's feel very similar to 205 GTi's to drive quickly. The 205's have heavier steering though, obviously
As standard the 1.6's feel a bit slower than a standard 106 GTi and the 1.9's feel slightly quicker. In reality though there's naff all in it. If anything I'd say the 106 is slightly quicker than all of them, although a 1.9 with a 1.6 gearbox would probably have a 106 on accelleration.
Properly good driver's cars though. Can't beat an old Pug. I want to start a 106 or 205 project once I've got the space.

trophy
i love 205 gtis! my first love being sporty renaults with 205 gtis coming a very close 2nd, and your one looks really good!

ive owned 3 of these cars and my current one is a track car with gti6 power i am building with the help of a few friends, i can show you pics of the build if you wanted

i used to own a graphite grey but was an idiot chopping it for a pulsar gtir

ITB'd MK1
so many people put the clear fronts on its nice to see the ones that came with orange still have orange but yeh least you changed the sides they did look s**t lol

if you ever consider it again, do it:D

i used mine for work etc while in a stop gap between my old 306 gti6 and my 172 and it was great

Orange corners look dreadful, that's why everyone fits clears. Also late tail lights are far nicer

DMS

A thirsty 172
One of my mates has got a 309 Goodwood that he's doing a GTi-6 conversion on. Still got the original, unmarked interior and immaculate bodywork too. It's going to be awesome.

Last edited:
  ST1050, 320d
i love 205 gtis! my first love being sporty renaults with 205 gtis coming a very close 2nd, and your one looks really good!

ive owned 3 of these cars and my current one is a track car with gti6 power i am building with the help of a few friends, i can show you pics of the build if you wanted

i used to own a graphite grey but was an idiot chopping it for a pulsar gtir

Awesome, I'd love a gti6 lump in this but I don't really have the tools or knowledge to do it, unless my dad helped or something. Would definitely like to see some pics of yours though bud :)

Looks great. Are you on 205gtidrivers?

By the way, Steel Grey is the best colour ;)

Yeah my username is Eliganza again lol, haven't posted on there much though, might do a proper thread when I get better pics. Haha, I guess you would say that eh? I think my uncle had one in Steel Grey when they first came out

R26
Awesome cars,im currently finishing turning my 1.6 graphite grey into a 1.9 trackcar.Was completely standard when i bought it,feel a bit guilty as its now completly stripped,got a full cage thats going to be powdercoated red and its got the 1.9 wheels refurbed in red aswell,should be finished very soon. :cool:

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Awesome car! One of my all time favourites behind the R5 GTT and Clio Williams!! Is she the 1.9 or the 1.6? Either way, the car looks remarkable after being sitting for so long! Is is just the pic or is the drivers seat a little on the tired side too?

ST1050, 320d
Bit of an update, cars been serviced, just need to do the timing belt :s lol. Lots of progress today though, had my friend polish up loads of engine bits;

from this
07062010669.jpg

to this
CIMG0043.jpg

Rocker cover polished, AFM polished, alternator cleaned up, timing belt cover cleaned up, fuel filter bracked cleaned up and the expansion bottle cap polished :) If anyone would like any bits done like this or sprayed PM me

ST1050, 320d
Bit of an update for those who are interested, she's now finished (bar interior) and its nearly MOT time, hopefully should sail through as i've spent many many hours tinkering and fettling lol. I also have some good quality pictures :)

CIMG0128.jpg

CIMG0121.jpg

CIMG0119.jpg

CIMG0126.jpg

CIMG0122.jpg

Since last update i've fitted 4 brand new Toyo T1R's, fitted new rear brake pads and generally got everything working as it should...pretty much everything electrical! lol. MOT should be within the month and if theres anything that needs doing I'll get on in it

ST1050, 320d
So this has been 'finished' for a while now, had a few hiccups (break downs) but now it's running better than ever; its quite nippy and nimble :) As it's a nice day I decided to wash and polish the beast and take a few snaps. Next week i'm picking up a GTI-6 engine for it (plus brakes, i'm going to need them) so watch this space.

Sorry about the pics, they're almost the same as the others haha.

CIMG0176.jpg

CIMG0179.jpg

CIMG0175.jpg

CIMG0173.jpg

120d M Sport
Just found this from searching 205 GTI!

Looks great...do you still have it? Has it been reasonably reliable etc? Looking into getting one myself soon.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Ive got a steel grey non sunroof 1.9 gti with pas sat on my drive. Mechanically its pretty much done, its just waiting to have a few bits of bodywork sorted and the interior put back in then I will probably either sell it or store it.
You have to driver a 205 whereas a Clio you can just jump in and go - my wife proved that point she has never liked the 205 to drive and ive had 9.

ST1050, 320d
Yeah I've met him a couple of times and bought some bits off him. I may update this thread soon as I've put a gti6 lump in it now :evil: Does look a bit sorry for itself atm though as it isn't finished!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
The way the prices are going I'd be inclined to keep it original and find a standard exhaust. Great investment ATM.

I always wanted another but I don't wanna ruin the memories of my first if they arnt as good as I remember.

ST1050, 320d
I've still got the engine if I ever wanted to return it to standard, It's a real possibility in a couple of years but I wanna have some fun in it first.

120d M Sport
I'd prefer standard myself but I bet they absolutely fly with a gti-6 lump.

Want one of these so much it almost hurts!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Yeah lovely bit of kit. Keeping it bog standard from the outside too but with a GTi-6 power :)

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Only non standard bits on mine are k+n filter, stainless exhaust, boost valve and its got a 1600 gearbox for a bit better acceleration.
Its gone up to my mates unit now so hopefully get it sorted and back together soon.