ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disconnecting battery for storage

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
So my Clio, E34 and Z3 are not being used for the winter I need to do something to the batteries to disconnect it to stop them going flat.

I used to be able to trickle charge the E34 with a battery conditioner thing and that was ideal. Don’t have the option to do it in my new house.

The question is if I disconnect the battery and leave them out the car for a few months will that damage the battery, like what can happen when you let them go flat. As I think the Z3 battery has had it I don’t want to buy a new one now and it go bad before I get to use it in the spring and end up needing a second.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I just disconnect the negative lead and leave the car as is.
Then a few days before you want to fire it up again, stick a charger on it to make sure it’s topped up.
A good battery shouldn’t go flat flat if it’s not connected to anything.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I just disconnect the negative lead and leave the car as is.
Then a few days before you want to fire it up again, stick a charger on it to make sure it’s topped up.
A good battery shouldn’t go flat flat if it’s not connected to anything.
Exactly this.
If there is nothing draining in the car the battery will stay at high charge levels without problems if its chemically ok.
I usually do the same with my bikes to keep batteries alive during Winter.

Except when I forget and on spring I have a nice surprise 🤣