ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Must-have Blackberry apps?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cool I installed desktop 5.0 it won't let me use media manager! Grrr! Not sure what i've done!

Very much still a noob at this! Any new themes? I'm bored with this one even tho it's kinda oe with 8 home screen icons!

I don't do themes as I know that they will just slow my already shite Storm down massively!

Haven't had time to download and update to manager 5, mainly because I had to wipe my damn comp the other day!

Bus w**ker
Gally, did you choose to install media manager or actually download the version of DM 5.0 bundled with Roxio?

Mk2 Golf GTI
Berry Addon is a VERY useful app that adds some basic functions that should have been included with the stock phone. Adds some cool extras too.

Core features

Vibrate on call connect/disconnect
Vibrate when ringing
Log placed/received call to calendar and mark them as private events
After call, prompt to add call number to addressbook
Create calendar, task, memopad and addressbook item in phone log screen
When creating contact, you can add new contact or update exist contact
Firewall with blacklist and whitelist, also can block private and unknown numbers.
Log blocked call to calendar
Import/export firewall blacklist and whitelist
Email signature
Send sms/email/pin message to calendar,task,memo and addressbook to create new item
Save sms/email/pin message as text document
Mark email with red exclamatory mark
Convert event to task item
Convert task item to event
Insert emoticon into sms/email/pin message
Emoticon customize and import/export

Insert contact's number or email address into sms/email/pin message
Open and save text document in memopad application
Auto lock keypad when screen goes blank. you can create exceptions to disable this feature

The ones in red are the ones i find particularly useful. You can disable any ones you dont want to use.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/berryaddon-blackberry-handy-tools-273383/

Mk2 Golf GTI
You don't need the DM. Just click the OTA link in the thread! Its a new app so the guys still adding stuff and making it better.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I done it ota mate, it's not bad. It's worth it for the self lock alone.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I think the standard autolock requires a password on unlock though, which is a PITA. Been using the 'send to addressbook' feature a lot today to update a load of my contacts. Very useful and much quicker than copy/paste.

Probably my favourite app right now, god knows why these aren't standard features!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Will be getting either my proper Bold or Curve in a few weeks, been using a loan Bold from Vodafone for a week, so then I can start properly tinkering :)

Will be running through a BES server, and luckily I happen to be the BES admin :)

Should be running 5.0 of the OS too by the time we get it all in.

Is there an MSN client that's any good for it?

Bus w**ker
I think the standard autolock requires a password on unlock though, which is a PITA. Been using the 'send to addressbook' feature a lot today to update a load of my contacts. Very useful and much quicker than copy/paste.

Probably my favourite app right now, god knows why these aren't standard features!
So what's the lock thing on this app then? Just a keyguard? And what's this send to addressbook do exactly? I've never had to copy and paste anything to my contact yet. :S

There's a few things on the changelog that I think could come in handy, but only a few TBH, so I'll give it a whirl.

Is there an MSN client that's any good for it?
If you're running on BES just remove the IT policy. Done. ;)

MSN Client wise the only one I've used is the official MS one, which works flawlessly.

Mk2 Golf GTI
beejive is pretty cool as you can log into multiple accounts from different chat applications at the same time. But it comes with Windows Live Messenger built in anyway which is just like the PC version

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
If you're running on BES just remove the IT policy. Done. ;)

MSN Client wise the only one I've used is the official MS one, which works flawlessly.

heh will have most of the policies applied but I'm sure I might have a couple of exceptions :p

Although tbh there's not much else I'd want to do with it anyway, as long as I can get emails, use it as a phone, browse web and use MSN occasionally I'm happy :)

Didn't realise there was an aofficial MS app for it, been years since I worked with them but happy to be going back as they are just so easy to manage (and keeps the auditors happy with the CESG rating :) ).

DC5
Are you able to use Facebook chat on the 8900? There is nothing on the application or browser, just wondered if there was any other way?

Mk2 Golf GTI
No you cant use FB chat as far as i know.

I just downloaded the trial version of shortcutme from the crackberry appstore, it's an awesome app!

Basically, you assign it to one (or both) of the convenience keys and can create shortcuts to pretty much any app with just a few clicks. Makes it a lot nicer/easier than scrolling around and browsing through folders.

It effectively triples how much you can assign to each convenience key as you can access different apps by double, triple or quadruple clicking and each side can be configured separately. So you can quickly launch up to 6 apps from the convenience keys in seconds.

If you just tap the key once, it brings up a list of apps that you can either scroll too and click or just press a combination of keys which you can define yourself ie conv + ab opens address book, conv + return x3 turns off the antenna etc
There's a vid here but i'd recommend trying out the free trial that lasts for 3 days. I love this app, makes certain things so much quicker. I've got my right key hooked up to shazam so if i hear a song i like and dont know, all i have to do is double tap it from any screen and shazam loads up and starts tagging straight away! No need to exit and app then browse through the folders and icons etc

[youtube]IQ5XlILJXa0[/youtube]

http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=29021&n=ShortcutMe%2C-Fastest-BlackBerry-Shortcuts-Application

Bus w**ker
Bezza4, like spirez said you can't use FB chat but a lot of people are moaning about it on all the Blackberry sites so I'd expect RIM to do something about it sooner or later. I don't use it though so I'm not arsed, think the FB app needs work in more important areas TBH.

My current latest app, paid for, is iFitness (links to the iPhone app as I can't find f**k all for it on a Blackberry lol). It's basically hundreds of different exercises broken down into, if you wish, different muscle groups, suggested routines and a workout log. Comes in handy for me as I always forget what weights I was using the next time I come to do that muscle group and I struggle to think of different exercises to try. Got it from the app store for about £3.

AK

M240i
Are there any decent sat-nav apps for the BB? Attempted to use Google maps today and it failed badly tbh...

Bus w**ker
Aerize, I think it's called, is meant to be good and free. Or you can buy Garmin for it which is meant to be the best.

Mk2 Golf GTI
nav4all and amaze GPS are both free. They do the job well enough tbh. Worth a try for free ninety nine anyway!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Not had the pleasure of trying the built in sat nav yet, but unless I get something extra for it I don't think the standard affair will impress as much as the Vodafone offering on their Windows PDAs, for a freebie that's awesome.

Mondeo ST TDci
Cheers, just uploading my app world now :)

Anyone using a good radio player? ive tried a couple, but im after one that plays radio one!

Bus w**ker
I can't find a decent radio app anywhere, they are all for the States or Canada unfortunately. I'm surprised there isn't a radio 1 app though as they stream live, but you can use www.moodio.fm which works nicely for me.

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
There was another update to the App World yesterday, I'd updated already to the 1.1.0.11 version, and then when I loaded it yesterday, I was told there was an update to 1.1.0.15.

TBH I can't see any difference between the two yet.

Audi TT
Blackberry messenger 5 people :cool:

Can't find the link now but did an OTA setup on my Bold and worked a treat. Happy days.

Bus w**ker
Galzzly the app world update was just a bug fix release IIRC.

Gstar I think the link to BBM 5 is in this thread somewhere.

App that I've got on trial ATM is the Empower SMS Viewer which works quite nicely. But I won't pay $15 for it as it's got a really f**king annoying bug at the minute with the spell checker and disappearing words.

1.2 16v Dynamique
i had to delete BBM5 as it caused untold trouble with my Curve, it kept crashing and dropiing calls but as soon as I went back to the original BBM everything works ok.

I shall wait for the official release methinks

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
I guessed as much sym0n, I just didn't see much difference in the front end. Although I've not really looked.

Can you block unknown numbers on a BB?

There's an app called BerryAddon that was mentioned earlier in this thread. You can add numbers to a black list and block them. It works really well, in my estimation.

clio 182 black /gold
I have just got a storm. What a crap phone. It does nothing much as my nokia 6300. It wont let me set the alarm just for the weekend just every day or week days. Also it wont allow me to assign ring tones to various people. If there is away of doing this im listening.