ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Good deal from Orange (blackberry)?

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro
Hi,

Right, after being shafted for £35/month the last 18 months, I am looking at signing a new contract with Orange again!

New deal:

18month - £24.98/month (VAT inc. in that)

Free Blackberry Curve 8900
1200 mins + free landline mins
1000 texts
Free BB maps function
Free internet and email

Worth it?

ok, could you elaborate? I'm not really up to scratch on mobile technology!

Doesn't sound that bad tbh, maybe more texts but depends how much you'd use. I've just got 1200 minutes, unlimited texts and internet for £15 a month. But I got a nokia 5800, doubt they'd give me the blackberry for that price.

Well I use 200 mins and 200 texts... and really hate using my mobile! But 3 phone bills have all been £60+ due to roaming usage!

I'm an idiot to have left it this long, I have been paying £35/month for 600min and texts on a phone that I hardly use.

So are blackberry's much more fiddly to use than iPhones? I don't want to be a mobile phone ***** like most of my mates who have iphones... we call them the "anti-social iphone"

Not used a blackberry so can't comment. But if you don't use it much, might be worth asking them if you can have it at a lower mothly price for less minutes and texts.

You can basically add about 10 quid per month for a Blackberry or iPhone just for the emailing and internet packages, sadly.

Good deal, similar to mine, paying a little more as have only had it for a couple of months so still paying the "new BB user" prices.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Well I use 200 mins and 200 texts... and really hate using my mobile! But 3 phone bills have all been £60+ due to roaming usage!

I'm an idiot to have left it this long, I have been paying £35/month for 600min and texts on a phone that I hardly use.

So are blackberry's much more fiddly to use than iPhones? I don't want to be a mobile phone ***** like most of my mates who have iphones... we call them the "anti-social iphone"

So get a crap phone and reduce the line rental. They will lower it im sure. Im a premier customer and they offered me a cheaper deal than that. But if you dont want to be a phone-***** then why get a blackberry!!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
mines 22.50 p/m, blackberry 8900, unlimited texts, umlimited net/email, 1200 mins.

haggled with the sales manager at orange when it came to renewal

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
as a messaging tool, and for ringing people. the blackberry's are without a doubt miles better than iphones. So if thats all you are wanting to do, get one.

Iphones are more entertainment phones with cool apps and programs.

Seth, if you're happy with your cuttent phone look into Sim Only or Simplicity tarrifs. They're basically 1 month rolling contracts meaning you can get out of them at any time.

they're cheap too, as you don't get a phone.

Bus w**ker
iPhones are made to be very user friendly, aimed at the 5-12 year old market IIRC.

So really it depends on what you want, a BB is geared more for the professional and will do everything an iPhone does (except that photoswap thing which really pisses me off)...it just won't be the size of a small hatchback.

I'm not a fan of the Curve TBH. If I had to pick between an iPhone and a Curve I'd be hard pushed to pick the Curve. It's not a bad phone but can't compete with better spec'd smart phones.

All that said though it's down to your choice of phone that you want. But looking at the contract you've been offered I think you could get a lot more for less. And BB Maps comes as standard with every BB, on Orange at least, and you can always get Google Maps anyway. Remember that you get a monthly discount for ordering on line and if you go via quidco you can get cash back too.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
FLOL! I'm not going to talk about the merits on iPhone because this isnt a iPhone thread.

I hate orange
I hate the f**king curve too, its crap. (Based on recent experience, its the first phone ive ever used that i couldnt simply work out after 5 min, stupidly fiddly setup which then proceeded not to work)

Since then i have swaped it out for a Bold and its miles better, still counter intuitive but better.

Bottom line with this type of phone is it needs 3G.

If you are determined to get a BB get a Bold as this seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

Lol, not as slating as I was expecting!

Not a fan of Orange.

Think the simple question is what are you doing to use the phone for? If you want easy email, average browser and good user interface for contacting people then BB is good (Bold, don't go anywhere near the Storm).

330i. E30 Touring.
As a conventional phone, the BB runs rings around the iPhone.

Web browsing and anything remotely good, the BB is left massively behind.

If I had the choice again, I'd be using an iPhone..

Read the last 10 posts while I was on the phone to the fella. Managed to get a better deal - pretended that 02 were offering me the same deal but with a BB Bold 9000. He dropped my monthly charge to £19.58 on the same deal as above.

Pleased!!! Hope I like the phone. As I said before, the iphone would prob make me end up wasting too much time, so the BB will do for me as all I would make use of are the maps and email.

Cheers for comments, and "Seth" brings back memories!

BTW, for all those who I used to speak to alot on here - I'm currently driving a Vauxhall Cavalier (LOL) but still have my robin hood and '85 quattro with two engines sat on the drive. Test drove an E39 M5 two days ago and was massively impressed. Trouble is my Dad said I could have his E55 estate for free, so that he can have an excuse to get the newer supercharged one! So, prob best just to hang on for a little while before I get my M5!