ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Must-have Blackberry apps?

Audi TT
I'm still running .247 there's newer official software out now on crackberry but .247 is stable and battery life is much better than with the earlier ones.

Looking forward to the v5 OS. Seen screens of the new BB messenger and it looks loads cooler :)

I'll have a look at Poynt but googlemaps does all that shiz already and gives option to ring places, get directions, read reviews etc...

I really want a bejewelled game for it but none available yet. The EA games version doesnt list the Bold as compatible :(

Anyone else played with the amazon app and the Remember feature? I was frankly amazed. Snap a pic of something in the app and about 10 mins later it messages you to say that they have the item you're looking for and give you the link on amazon to buy it with 1-click! could be dangerous for drink induced pub purchases but as I said before it's in dollars at the minute.

I'll have a look at Poynt but googlemaps does all that shiz already and gives option to ring places, get directions, read reviews etc...

How do you get this one mate? I can only do Poynt and then maps, not search on Google maps for something?

Oh and that snap and remember thing sounds ace!!

Bus w**ker
Oooh Pin sex... ;)
25698A6E add me, you know you want to.

GStar I tried .282 but it wouldn't load for me, just caused me a load of f**king argo and a full format to downgrade back to .247 :(.

5.0 is looking good though, especially the new features of BB messenger. The Amazon app is good, apart from it being for the US lol, first thing I tried out was that remember feature and it got it bang on instantly. :S

Jamie, you have to use the search option and type in what you're after. So Odeon for example, it then gives you a list of every Odeon everywhere. It's ok but it's not localised, unless there's a way to do that, so Poynt PWNS IMHO.

Audi TT
If I let googlemaps find me on GPS and then do a search for say nando's when I'm in leicester it shows me the nearest 3-4 in order of distance from my location, same if you just type Pub when you're in a new town. Will show you the nearest ones etc....

I'm sticking to .247 for a bit I think as I'm happy with it.

Bus w**ker
lol I just tested it and he's right, that's quite good actually. Although something even better I just found is the fact that I have streetview on my mobile now.

Every days a school day.

Mk2 Golf GTI
Guys what networks are you all on?

I'm wondering if orange have raped my app world as i can't seem to find google maps or opera mini on there. Cant find the bolt browser either!

Bus w**ker
Orange mate. I didn't get Google maps or Opera mini off there though, I googled it through the BB browser and installed it via an OTA download.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Orange mate. I didn't get Google maps or Opera mini off there though, I googled it through the BB browser and installed it via an OTA download.
So you do everything straight from your phone symon? I know a lot of folk use there comp to install most stuff.

Googlemaps sounds ace. I'm always away galavanting somewhere looking for food and a pub!

Bus w**ker
Yeah mate every app or theme I've installed has been done OTA, mostly on Wifi but some over 3G. There's no messing as it's downloads and installs directly, I can't see why anyone would install via their PC unless TBH. But each to their own.

I always do OTA downloads and installs. I will do a Google search for Google maps with my new Google Icon Quick Search ;)

Ah that makes sense, mine was on OS 2.0.3 or something; this version is 3.01 or something . . . lol!

I'm on Vodafone and seems to be shed loads of apps already on the damn thing, so deleted them all and started again!!

I would suggest so hun, even if it means better battery life only. But could include things like copy and paste, applications, better maps, better running i.e. quicker etc :)

Hyundai i40
I would suggest so hun, even if it means better battery life only. But could include things like copy and paste, applications, better maps, better running i.e. quicker etc :)

yeah my battery life is s**t and it runs so laggy, prob summit to do with the fact im on it all the time :eek:

Bus w**ker
The OS updates get rid of loads of little shitty bugs and usually improve things, but you could find that your provider doesn't bother running the latest one. You'll have no problems running a newer version but you will need to fart about a little bit to get the latest version and install it, not major basically just have to download the OS via another providers area on the BB site, uninstall the old version from your PC, delete vendor.xml and install the new one. Then plug your phone in, let Windows install the software for the phone and then via BB Desktop Manager install the new OS. I can point you to some good guides on CrackBerry if you need?

Bus w**ker
What did you just say, seriously?
It make Blackberry work. :rasp:

ermmm yeah help me symon! lol
link me up ill have a proper look at home tonight

Find the section for you phone here and once in that section look for a sticky post at the top with a subject along the lines of "ZOMG!!11one! Official model number OS 4.6.xxx.xxx released" (could be slightly different but you get the idea).

Once you've found that there should be a link to a download page on www.blackberry.com. Follow that and download the file.

Then you can either go here (not really n00b friendly I found) and follow the instructions or:

• Plug phone in via USB to PC and using BB Desktop Manager fully back up your phone (including 3rd party apps).
  • Then un plug your phone.
  • Exit BB Desktop Manager.
  • Using control panel, uninstall any other BB "Device Software" bits installed (leave Desktop Software alone, latest is 4.7 btw).
  • Install the OS file to your PC that you downloaded earlier.
  • When thats completed, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.
  • Delete the file Vendor.xml.
  • Plug phone in via USB to PC, it should eventually show that new hardware has been found and install the drivers.
  • When done, open BB Desktop Manager and complete the update (you should be prompted once your phone connects). Ensure that you select the option to do a back up (including data, messages and apps).
  • Follow the prompts, sit back and wait. It can take up to an hour to do and in that time you can't use your phone. DO NOT disconnect it from the PC until told that it's completed. Your phone will reboot and do all sorts during the procedure.
If some how something goes horribly wrong, which it shouldn't, read this thread and it should see you right.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What is mini opera btw? Is it the browser that's all ready in the phone or is it a good upgrade :S

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
What is mini opera btw? Is it the browser that's all ready in the phone or is it a good upgrade :S

No, it's not the browser thats on the phone already, it's something that, from my experience of it, seems quite a bit quicker.

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Nah, just acts like an application (or did for me), so I have both the BB browser and Opera Mini on the phone.

Bus w**ker
Symon, updates to the Storm recently? Have the upgrade about 4 weeks ago, anything newer?
Just had a look and the latest I can find, apart from dodgy ones or leaks 5.0s, are:

9500 - 4.7.0.148

9530 - 4.7.0.148

I don't really keep up to date with anything except the Bold though, so I could be wrong. But if you're running earlier that .148 you might as well update.

I've had Mini Opera for...well since I got the phone and TBH I rarely use it. Can't say I found it to be any quicker when I did, but it was annoying. I've also got Bolt and whilst that is quicker than the BB browser it's at least 11 times more annoying lol.

Bus w**ker
Stick with the BB browser Symon?
That's my personal preference, a lot of people rave about Opera Mini and Bolt is up and coming. But for me neither work as smoothly as the BB one.

What they all really need to do is get on to Adobe and get Flash sorted, that and automatically resizing images to fit the screen. Probably some other stuff too lol.

seem to have 4.7.0.141, may well upgrade.
You may as well mate, might get rid of some of the problems you've been having. Just make sure you backup, at least then you can downgrade if it doesn't work out for you.

Mk2 Golf GTI
This is a nice piece of kit. To be honest i think the iphones are great but would have cost me an extra £20 p/m + £185 for the phone for a worse contract!

Still getting used to it but its cool.

So with the wifi, does the curve just automatically connect to the nearest available hot spot? Which public services would be available on the orange package? Will it connect to bt openzone or the cloud free of charge?

I found a nice theme:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f129/f...ed-working-professional-all-new-icons-255909/