ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Fail. Sad Times! Help?!

Clio Sport 172 '04
Evening Lads,

Just ran my little beauty (ClioSport 172, 04*) through a pre MOT & I got some bad news (and that's putting it lightly).

It failed miserably with a list as long as The River F*&K%nG Nile.

As you've all been amazing at helping me out in the past!! Could somebody try and put a cost price on how much all this work would cost to fix and get it through an MOT?!

Kind regards,

Shortie (Y)
IMG_3700.JPG

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
His writing isn't the easiest to read, from what I can make out you failed on :
Airbag light on (fiddle with the connectors under the seats, it will more than likely get rid of it)
NSF CV Boot split (that'll need replacing)
OSF CV Boot insecure (jubilee clip should sort that)
NSF Ball Joint Rubber (best replace both ball joints)
Read Discs (replace)
Front Discs (replace)
NSR Light affected (no idea what he means by that, affected in what way)?
NSR Service Brown? (no idea)
OSR Service Brche/Brdne? (wha...)?
NSR Handbrake E (probably related to you needing new brakes)
Exhaust blowing (probably from one of the joins, more than likely cat/manifold)
OSR tyre Peniswell? (I assume that's meant to say perished)
Emissions Lambda (pain in the arse)

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
NSR and OSR service brake will be down to the efficiency's (bottom numbers). You are getting 38(presumably) KGF of force from the NSR and 63KGF from the OSR. Which is almost sweet f**k all. Yet your OSR handbrake is ok. It looks like you possibly may need new calipers.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Is it a cup? In which case the rear brake efficiency is a known issue and the tester shouldn't pick up on it. I have the VOSA notice somewhere....

When I say a cup, I mean a proper cup without ABS, not cup packed.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I suppose it is bad if you have vagina and cant do the work yourself.
Good job I haven't and that I'm a technician then. But as the OP doesn't sound overly technical, this might be an expensive list to sort out.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Do people still do Pre MOT's?
Surely with MOT prices as they are and garage hourly rates high it's cheapest to just put it in for an MOT?

Rs200t lux
I would guess that all the things starting with A are advisory items, so not bad at all.

Yea A is advisory
Because the new mot law says that you can't fail discs no matter how rusty as long as the brakes pass the test
Stupid but true

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I think its perfectly acceptable for a 11 year old car to fail the mot on the above items its no big deal if you were a girl I could see why you would be worried because they get ripped off.
So just because someone hasn't got the technical knowledge, or tools, or the confidence to tackle those jobs it instantly makes them a girl?
Take a good look at yourself, grow up and realise that everyone has their own skills. I might be a good technician, but tell me to program code to build a website I wouldn't have a clue.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Do people still do Pre MOT's?
Surely with MOT prices as they are and garage hourly rates high it's cheapest to just put it in for an MOT?

Sometimes it's nice to know what cost is around the corner. Esp if you live on a tight budget.

Evening Lads,

Just ran my little beauty (ClioSport 172, 04*) through a pre MOT & I got some bad news (and that's putting it lightly).

It failed miserably with a list as long as The River F*&K%nG Nile.

As you've all been amazing at helping me out in the past!! Could somebody try and put a cost price on how much all this work would cost to fix and get it through an MOT?!

Kind regards,

Shortie (Y)View attachment 128576
I could put a price on all the parts but its pointless if you cant do the work yourself, labour rates and personal opinion make a big difference to the overall cost.
Have you not ask the garage how much it will cost?

Sometimes it's nice to know what cost is around the corner. Esp if you live on a tight budget.

There's nothing to say that a few weeks later another tester at the same garage won't fail it for another overlooked/newly identified issue.

I personally just book a test up to 4 weeks before expiry and use the first test as an indicator for what needs doing and have 10 working days to rectify any failures. I check all the obvious stuff like lights, brakes etc but allow them to tell me what any other issues are. I tend to be under my cars fairly often anyway so shouldn't have an real surprises apart from the odd bush/joint that results in a fail which I haven't already noticed from the handling being affected.

You've got yourself a fairly cheap fix there overall, especially if you are handy with the spanners.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
As said difficult to assess cost. Without seeing it. Eg. A basic caliper clean up and fluid change may sort the braking woes which is pretty much free DIY.

Light problem could be a corroded pin or just a bad connection etc etc.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
So just because someone hasn't got the technical knowledge, or tools, or the confidence to tackle those jobs it instantly makes them a girl?
Take a good look at yourself, grow up and realise that everyone has their own skills. I might be a good technician, but tell me to program code to build a website I wouldn't have a clue.
Yep. I know the square root of f**k all about cars, and my penis is huge.

LY FF182
You'd be able to sort a few of those for pennies at home. I'd expect to spend around £300 fixing all that

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
You may find that the internet says "you can't remove the inner OS CV gaiter and it is a new drive shaft job"....this is rubbish as I had mine apart last year to replace the split gaiter. It is still going fine
However there are three different types you can get and only one will fit....but this is for a Ph1 though.

2005 Clio 182
The most of that isn't too bad, it's the airbag light that would be the pain for me, have you had it plugged into diagnostics yet to see what's going on there?