ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project

haha, it must be draining to have setback after setback though!

Very much so! ..........but towards the end of last year I had a good few months where it was perfect without a problem - was worth everything then!

he is the number 1 rig up merchant though ;)

Knows :evil:

foxy do you want a Henk Remap box?

Not really, I was going to get one to do some Diag but its running now so dont need :(

like mini was saying Jord, it sounds like your outer CV. Mine went on the saco and it did exactly that.... got worse and worse.
when you apply throttle and there is load put onto the joint it knocks.... the more you put on it the more it knocks its tits off. Let off throttle and its fine.
you should just be able to replace the CV. mine was whole new f**kin shaft!

Yeah...defo got a lot worse now after some hard driving earlier. Gona take it off when I get some spare time and check it out, got a spare shaft sorted now too I think!

Well this car ceases to amaze me!

The driveshaft was clunking and making a metal on metal screeching for quite some time the other day (over 180miles)...

But today I spent some time setting up the camber and tracking myself - Its now at -2.45deg on both sides, with 0.07deg of toe out. Drives perfectly, no wandering or pulling, corners 100x better.

Anywho - since ive driven it there wasnt a single noise from the driveshaft, no clunking, no knocking, nothing. I seriously put some load onto it on purpose and not a single thing - How? I have no idea.

I dont see how the noise has gone - my main worry is doing a trackday and the driveshaft eventually going. Thing is though, Im not entirely sure if it will as it is now silent :boring:

...as per usual then, lol.

Will have to see how it goes with some more miles - got a stockpile of 9 x 205/50/15 GG R888s...

IMG_0422.jpg

...to keep me entertained throughout the year too :)

DCi 100

205? With 7J yeah?

Tires seem wide :S Can't believe you spent so much on tires though, could never justify that much!

Merc A class

Spotted you before mate driving over the swinging bridge, Car looked awesome! :)

205? With 7J yeah?

Tires seem wide :S Can't believe you spent so much on tires though, could never justify that much!

9 tyres for less than the price of one 205/50/15 R888, very expensive yeah ;)

205 is the best width for 7J too!

Spotted you before mate driving over the swinging bridge, Car looked awesome! :)

What were you in? lol

172 Race Car

Glad you decided to use proper tyres now. Always thought you were skimping on the most important bit.

9 tyres for less than the price of one 205/50/15 R888,

you WHAT!

Its not what you know, its who you know ;)

Glad you decided to use proper tyres now. Always thought you were skimping on the most important bit.

Yeah - got a feel for it last year and the tyres I used of varying types went OK. I was going to stick with them for this year, but these came up so cheap I would have been stupid to not grab them and use them for the year!

Few other bits done today - so f*cking hot I removed the front windows as it was like a greenhouse! Made up a center section hanger that bolts through one of the old seat mounts - sits alot higher now which is perfect.

Replaced all the window bolts with stainless items (of which I painted the heads black) - as the old mild steel bolts had gone rusty and covered the runners in c*ap. Cleaned them all up and got the bolts on...

IMG_0445.jpg

I managed to find a fix (rig-up) for my sticking throttle over the past week also. I didnt want to buy a second hand throttle body and it be the same, nor did I want to buy a new one from Renault. I removed the bonnet when it was idling high and you could see it was stopping just 1mm away from the idle grub screw - if you turned it the last mm it would idle perfectly.

Cue a few heavy duty elastic bands...

IMG_0446.jpg

Not had the problem since - perfect :)

Lastly - ended up getting really bored. Removed the front bumper...

IMG_0433.jpg

Got the drill out...

IMG_0430.jpg

And went mad with the 70mm holesaw, lol. I have no idea why but I just ended up cutting some holes for the hell of it as I just hated how it looked with that one offset hole they have standard!

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

More soon!

Suzuki Ignis Sport

Should've used a ruler Jord! lol

Looks great tho!! I'm assuming thats to get cold air to the engine?

172 Race Car

Tyres will make the car so much more fun to drive than all the other little bits. Worth it

Should've used a ruler Jord! lol

Looks great tho!! I'm assuming thats to get cold air to the engine?

I did - got the 4 perfect - then the last one was a reet f*ckup (drilling where the old large hole was). Tried to make up a backing plate from a piece of wood for the holesaw pilot drill to go through, which I did fine. Spent ages getting it aligned right, then when I went to drill it f*cking moved, so the 4th hole is on the p*ss lol. Sigh!

Cold air wise - minimal as the slam panels behind it. It was more for looks tbh!

Tyres will make the car so much more fun to drive than all the other little bits. Worth it

Hope so! Will see how it goes at Rockingham on the 14th :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport

Does look cracking tho jord, still yet to see it in the flesh!

172 Race Car

Hope so! Will see how it goes at Rockingham on the 14th :)
Night and day different mate, just watch the pressures. do 2 laps and come in and reset them. they take a while to settle down and you will be letting air out for a few goes. Unless you are in sessions then you will have to set them about 5-8psi lower than you want hot and see how they go.

im guessing 26-28psi hot for your car being lightish?

Night and day different mate, just watch the pressures. do 2 laps and come in and reset them. they take a while to settle down and you will be letting air out for a few goes. Unless you are in sessions then you will have to set them about 5-8psi lower than you want hot and see how they go.

im guessing 26-28psi hot for your car being lightish?

Its just under 840kg with a bit of fuel now - yeah I was going to see how 26psi hot went.

Its open-pit so should be able to have a play with the pressures along with the adjustable rear dampers its got on now too

Haha nice ventilation :)

Awesome mate, simple as.

Cheers :approve:

172 Race Car

Its just under 840kg with a bit of fuel now - yeah I was going to see how 26psi hot went.

Its open-pit so should be able to have a play with the pressures along with the adjustable rear dampers its got on now too

Cheers :approve:
ah ours is 850kg dry so try 28psi hot. were running (atm) 30 rear 28 front

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

Nice idea with the holes :)

LOL at getting bored though!

ValverInBits

you sure the driveshaft knocking issue isnt the inner CV hitting the end of it's plunge (whether that be inward or outward)?

Quite possibly, but not heard a noise from it since the tracking was done (over 100 miles). If you grab hold of the shaft there is movement in and out as before, but it makes no noise whatsoever no matter how hard you drive it/turn it.

it shouldn't move in and out - as previously said :)

it's possible that the camber change has moved the rollers to a less worn part of the joint. Rest assured, it will bite you in the bum :dapprove:

Yeah, going to get a spare shaft sorted anyway - its just proper odd that the noise has completely gone!

M

mini-valver

You should NOT be able to move the driveshaft in or out whilst the hub nut is tight and the wheel on the floor. Plunge is only relevant throughout bump/rebound as the whole upright moves, taking the shaft with it.

Theres no outward plunge "stop" either, only the CV boot.

Ah...right so the CV should be 100% fixed, and the only movement/plunge is the driveshaft tripod moving in and out of the diff on the box end - correct?

If so the outer CV is defo f*cked :)

Got hold of another N/S driveshaft, thanks to Jams for picking it up for me! Not fitted yet but shall be over the weekend if I get round to it...

Picked up some awesome £6.50 rear pads from the factors earlier today as mine were pretty much completely shot. They dont do much anyway so on they went...

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Oh, and a new sticker too ;)

IMG_0510.jpg

More over the weekend!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

I really want to F4R my car and strip it to f**k! Its the same colour as yours aswell, I could make a replica ;) (hopefully without all the s**t luck you have had lol)